Notifications
Clear all

Vegetable, Beans, Legumes and Seeds Diet Blog

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/08/2017 2:48 pm

Hey guys,
My acne has been pretty persistent for more than 10 years and it's not of the mild kind- I've been to many dermatologists, I've tried every cream and I've also been on Accutane.

I decided to go a different route last year by slowly eliminating certain foods from my diet.
Right now I eat only vegetables, beans, legumes and seeds. I also drink 1.5-2L of water a day and I take a lot of supplements and vitamins.
I use only natural products on my face in the morning and at night and I wear natural makeup throughout the day. I've started to keep a better sleep schedule as well, though I haven't been perfect in following it through.
All of these changes have been happening slowly over time- I kept adding more and more supplements, I kept cleaning up my diet and slowly switched from harsh over the counter products to all natural products. My natural makeup was the most recent addition. I've been thinking of starting to exercise every day too.

My pimples have changed from deep cystic ones that take 2 weeks to form a top, pop and heal to pimples that are more superficial and go away in 2-3 days max. However, I still have to deal with the post inflammatory pigmentation and it looks like I have more active pimples than I actually do.

I noticed that there is a sugar-free challenge on here, as well as a water consumption thread along with many other helpful posts about treating acne holistically by taking into consideration the whole body. I hope to find more like minded people who would like to share their experience, their improvements in their lifestyle and what they've noticed in their skin.

In the meantime, I will keep blogging on the changes in my skin over the next 2-3 month period as I maintain the diet, take supplements, drink plenty of water, use natural products, get plenty of regular sleepand hopefully start exercising daily.

AhaGuru and shmilyM liked
MemberMember
(@alyleiii)
MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/10/2017 9:28 am

12 hours ago, cloudydreamer said:

but my periods are regular on the cloxk.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 03/10/2017 1:06 pm

3 hours ago, WaterFountain said:
15 hours ago, cloudydreamer said:

but my periods are regular on the cloxk.

The seeds are also used to balance estrogen, progesterone and androgens. I have PCOS and pretty regular periods. But my androgens are still elevated and my progesterone is too low, so changing your diet can make a difference to boost the good hormones and lower bad ones. 

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/14/2017 2:37 pm

I'm switching to raw vegan diet- fruits, vegetables and seeds. I find that they're easier to digest in my body, they have more nutrients than beans and legumes, I can make them in smoothies whenever I'm at home and seem as a more natural and ready source of energy in nature.

I saw this really cool chart which compared beans and legumes to vegetables and fruits on the major nutrients in which was evident that they both have enough protein, but the raw food had more vitamins.
It was a tough decision on me, as I've been vegan for about a year now (with a few slips) and I was concerned about my protein intake which I always met thanks to MyFitnessPal. I can keep using the app to help me track my protein from raw sources.

What bothers me about the beans and legumes is that they're cooked food and probably lack the nutrients my body needs. I also hate the idea that I will be consuming sugar from the fruits, but nobody can survive on a plant based diet with vegetables only (and some seeds and nuts). When I had fruit today for a 1st time in months, I felt so energized! I hope I don't break out from the sugar. I'm planning on spreading out my fruit (sugar) intake throughout the day, so to avoid huge insulin spikes.Iincreased my water intake to 1 gallon a day 2 days ago.

Update on my skin: I still have pimples, but not the deep ones (or the cystic ones I used to get in the past). They're less in count too and they're located in my jaw area and my forehead. Overall, my skin is getting better. I don't know if it's solely from the diet,from all the supplements I'm taking or the multitude of natural products I'm using.
I'm still adding more supplements and natural products for probably until about a week, so I don't want to start the countdown to clear skin yet. Day 0 of my regiment will be March 20th, 1st month's mark will be April 20th and so forth until 3 months have been completed. I'm willing to give this regimen 6 months, because natural stuff usually take longer to work and my skin is actually loving the gentle treatment it gets. I also feel better as I'm more hydrated now and I have more energy from fruits.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/16/2017 12:12 pm

I think I'm going to try to detox my body and not use any products on my face, except for some oils to remove my makeup at night. In the morning, I will simply wash my face with plain water. :D I hope my acne will clear from the inside out within the next couple of months.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/17/2017 10:30 pm

Diet is difficult to keep, but my skin is clear. I only have some redness from old pimples.

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/17/2017 11:25 pm

Recently I started including a ton of vegetables in my diet. I try to aim for 9 servings a day and man has it helped a lot. I haven't gotten those huge pimples that hurt and swell up like a balloon. Its easy to sneak in vegetables in the stuff I cook. Overall I'm happy that I'm clearing up. Those pigment scars will go away if you keep drinking plenty of water.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/18/2017 3:16 am

4 hours ago, davidctino said:

Recently I started including a ton of vegetables in my diet. I try to aim for 9 servings a day and man has it helped a lot. I haven't gotten those huge pimples that hurt and swell up like a balloon. Its easy to sneak in vegetables in the stuff I cook. Overall I'm happy that I'm clearing up. Those pigment scars will go away if you keep drinking plenty of water. 

thank you for the support, I'll keep myself well hydrated. I used to get scalp acne as well from time to time, which was usually just 1 really deep cyst hidden in my hair, even if my face was pretty clear... I haven't gotten any scalp acne in like 2 months. Not that it was persistent, it happened about once in 1-2 months, but I haven't gotten any in a while now. 

I'm struggling with following a 100% caveman regimen. I like using rose water in the AM and I oil cleanse at night. My #1 goal is to get to that point of not wearing any makeup during the day, so I won't have to oil cleanse at night. 

vegan_food_pyramid-1.png

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/20/2017 5:36 pm

I'm adding fermented foods to my diet in the formof vegetables.

I exfoliatedmy face today with freshpineapple juice.It's a very mild and gentle exfoliator, that's also very cheap, natural and non-drying.I applied fresh aloe vera juice afterwards.

I had a terrible experience with organic activated charcoal- it stained my face and it was very hard to remove. Also, thyme oil even when highly diluted can be very harsh on the skin.No matter how much I love natural products I'll have to let certain onesgo.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/22/2017 9:28 pm

I'm thinking of adding zinc mask to my regimen as well as mint tea.

I'm doing better with my diet now that I've started using raw vegan recipes. I made non-cooked Thai soup, chocolate no-crust cake and (seed) cheese :) Everything was so delicious! Food is becoming more pleasurable like it used to be.

I also don't mind the weight loss... I'll never see a gym again in my life. I actually save myself 2 hours from going to the gym! Preparing the food is fast, because all I do is blend and chop products in the processor. 

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/23/2017 10:23 pm

I'm still breaking out here and there, but I know I have to give this process time. I've added sprouted food to my diet, but it's not something that I have every day.
I'm also getting rid of any non-naturalmakeup...

I'll figure out if my acne is hormonal
, not only by considering my period, but also noting all the other hormones that come into play.I've done a liver detox and I follow an anti-inflammatory diet, so my hormones are the last thing to check off my list.
Need to figure out a way to balance:
-testosterone
-cortisol
-estrogen
-melatonin
-insulin

Toodaloo

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/25/2017 8:07 pm

Iwas able to treat the scars on my cheeks this eveningwith microneedling.
I've been having more and more good skin days in comparison to 2 months ago, but things are still not exactly perfect. However, I don't expect them to be- I'm actually quite happy having 1,2,3 pimples at a time, as long as they're small. Nothing that makeupcan't cover.

If I must rate the quantity of pimples on a scale 0 (none) to 10 (right before I got on accutane when I was a pizza face),
right now I'm at 1 maybe 2.
2 months ago I'd say I was at 3.
6 months I was at 4.
A year ago I was at 5.

Red dots are from the microneedling-just dried blood.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/27/2017 10:00 pm

I decided to add adapalene gel 0.1% to my regimen at night, because I need faster cell turnover after the light derminator treatment + light chemical peel. I'm also adding a new wash- Neostrata Glycolic Foaming Wash. I'm still doing the oil cleansing at night and using rose water as a toner and a pH balancer.

I'm planning on using different chemical peels every 2 weeks not only for my scarring, but also for my active acne, clogged pores, bad complexion and enlarged pores. I have lactic acid 40%, TCA 50%, a lot of Salycilic Acid 40% and Mandelic Acid 20%.

AM:
10 min Neutrogena light mask
Neostrata foaming glycolic wash
Rose water
MineralFusion illuminating BB cream
MineralFusion Pressed Powder

PM:
Oil cleansing with oils that are high in linoleic acid
Neostrata glycolic wash
Rose Water
Adapalene gel 0.1%

Every 2 weeks:
Light derminator on my cheeks+ 20% Lactic Acid all over the face (general refresher)
OR
40% Salycilic Acid Chemical Peel all over the face (acne treatment)

Once a month or so:
Deep derminator treatment for scars
OR
TCA Cross

I hope this new regimen will eradicate my acne and acne scars completely.

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 03/28/2017 8:52 am

Is it too much for your skin? :-S
I recommend against using chemical peel because it makes your skin thinner and weaker. Instead using a betonite clay or mud mask with ACV may yield the same benefits without being too harsh.
And hey, your acne area is too red. Is that normal?

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/28/2017 3:40 pm

My cheeks are red because of the derminator + glycolic peel.
Yeah, it's a bit much, but I'm open to adjustments as needed.
I hate ACV, so I use clay masks without it, but after usng the masks for a while I didn't see much effect, so I am going back to acid based products and prescription gels.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/30/2017 12:07 am

I believe fruits are making me break out. When I didn't eat any about a month ago, my skin was completely clear. Now I have few small breakouts- nothing major, but I always seem to have 1 or 2 and when they heal, I get another 1 or 2.

I don't want to quit fruits yet, as i feel better when i have some sugar. Ill limit them to50 grams of sugar a day.

I'll also start using salicylic acid peels for my acne. There are a bunch of studieshere with before and afters:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3875240/#!po=27.5510

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/30/2017 10:33 pm

I must say I am really enjoying the fresh feeling of adapalene gel on my face at night- no more sticky honey masks, weird concoctions, or slathering layers of different natural remedies. The gel is simple and easy to apply AND it makes my skin feels nice! LOVE IT! I'm glad to be using prescription gels again.

The Neostrata wash doesn't sting anymore as I use it first (to clean makeup and also in the AM) and THEN I apply the rose water toner. This way the wash doesn't penetrate too deep and sting my skin :)

I think the 13% lactic acid peel after the light derminator session a couple of days ago gave me a really nice glow. I need to keep doing peels! I have the feeling that they're the only way out for my acne AND my acne scars. 

In a week I'll be doing  my 1st TCA Cross with 50% TCA. I believe I should let my skin rest until then, so all I'll stick to my wash and toner. Right after the dot peel, I'll do derminator, probably on 1.5mm depth, depending on how well I tolerate the combo of treatments.

I hope I get somewhere this time with my scars, because derminator alone does not work well. 

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 04/01/2017 7:00 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for my skin to remain the way it looks now. It's finally clear guys...

I don't know exactly what helpsme the most out of all, but this current regimen is working for me:

- raw vegan diet
-1 gallon of watera day
- supplements
-more regular sleep schedule
-glycolic face wash
- daily blue light therapy
-superficial chemical peels
-adapalene gel
- magnesium salt baths

I haven't been perfect in following everything, but I try my best.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 04/08/2017 9:11 am

Since I never drink enough water and right now I need it more than ever (chemical peel recovery- need hydration from inside and outside), I've decided to "reward" myself with food after I've chugged a glass or two....

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 04/17/2017 3:23 pm

I had a bad week of eating things I shouldn't have and it showed on my skin- I have small pimples that were not there before.
-Gluten
-Milk, eggs, meat
-Sweets, chocolate
-Packaged food that I don't know what's inside

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 07/10/2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your journey toward clear skin!
It's sad that most people don't realize that diet is number one toward healthy skin, and the rest, good higiene, sleep and proper products