Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Very Mild But Persistent Acne - PLEASE Read!!!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/03/2017 6:14 am

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the forum since July last year and thought I would share my thoughts and experiences on my journey and how I've come to a decision to begin roaccutane (UK). I know many people do not agree with this drug but I am completely aware of it's side affects and have read the booklet and the ipledge programme information already. People often bash others that take roaccutane for mild acne, but just like the rest of you, we suffer too. I can't remember the last time I looked in the mirror and felt happy about my face, I cry every single day and have started taking sertraline to be able to cope with how I feel about my face. FYI I'm not depressed, the sertraline is suppose to help with the OCD towards my skin,

Acne has been a battle that has completely changed my life, I completely sympathise with every single one of you who post on here. My acne is mostly comedonal, I do suffer with the persistent breakouts of papules and pustules (normally 1-3) in the chin area but the main issue for me is the blocked pores, they cover my entire t-zone. Many people have told me my face is fine, most are extremely shocked I have been prescribed such a strong drug, but both my mother and sister have taken roaccutane for acne and we have strong acne genetics with-in our family. I want to get rid of this in its early stages and while I'm still 19 I have time to deal with it before it would get worse and begin to scar like my sisters.

I started getting acne when I was 18, before then I had a FLAWLESS complexion. it began in the most persistent area to date, the sides of my mouth and my chin. As I became more worried about my skin the acne began to spread, it began on my chin and then blackheads and comedones began to spread all around my nose and up to my forehead, this destroyed me inside, witnessing it getting worse was devastating. I visited two dermatologists privately in the UK, both which prescribed a combination of medications. I have tried countless topicals (Differin, Duac, Epiduo, Zineryt) in combination with many different antibiotics (Lymecycline, Doxycycline, Emerythromycerin) All of which had no affect on my skin what so ever (Baring in mind I gave each treatment combination atleast 3-5 months).

Lymecycline with Differin was my last treatment option, I gave it about 2 months and nothing had changed, I get I could've waited longer but I just no longer had the patience, the acne has stopped me from leaving my house, it has completely destroyed my life and relationship. People try to scare me with the side effects of roaccutane but I'm already at rockbottom anyway, I need the acne to go away. I went to a dermatologist yesterday (02/03). I made the appointment yesterday morning and saw my consultant dermatologist by 18:30 (02/03) in the evening. (I have private healthcare in the UK which means I don't have to wait at all) I went into the appointment expecting a prescription of Retin-A and another antibiotic combination. I can admit I did have roaccutane in mind.

After explaining my distress to my doctor and explaining to him how much this has affected my life he examined my skin, asked about what treatments I have pursued already and questioned me a little further. After a 20 minute discussion he asked me if I had ever heard of isotretinoin, and after trying different combinations said it would be the most affective form of treatment. There was mutual agreement and I am overwhelmed with joy to undertake my treatment and I feel so grateful that it's happening as fast as it is (Normal wait-time on the NHS to see a dermatologist is 6 months considering my case isn't severe).

I left the doctors office and had my blood tests done right away, I had a few more this morning too (03/03) but I am picking up roaccutane either today or monday (if my dermatologist doesn't get back to me). My point is people out there with very mild acne, don't suffer in silence. It has had such a profound effect on my life and my dermatologist could see this, after understanding my situation and that I've already attempted other forms of treatment I'm happy I am going on roaccutane. I've heard it has changed many people's lives and I cannot wait to witness it change mine, when he prescribed me the drug I felt like my life was being handed back to me.

I'm going to document my journey on acne.org, I don't see many people with mild acne documenting there experience on the drug as many never decide to take it anyway. I just had a few questions to the accutane users on the more mild end of the acne scale before I begin my roaccutane experience... First of all I currently am using clean and clear and differin to help clear my skin up, should I stop this? I've heard many people have dry and irritated skin from roaccutane and my doctor did mention it would be a side affect. If so should I be washing my face at all? My skin is super sensitive btw (I have combination skin oily t-zone, dry cheeks) and if I should can anyone recommend any products to wash my face with and any moisturisers that I should consider buying in the UK!

Thanks for reading and I hope you understand my decision to undertake roaccutane as my treatment. I hope I gain some responses!

Ben!

shmilyM liked
MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/03/2017 2:28 pm

Wow! Seeing a dermatologist soooo fast even with private helath cover is so amazing! Like you said the wait time is about 6 months (the public system here at my local hospital, the waiting list is 14 months!) Im very pleased for you to find something that works. And your right, your acne might not be as bad as others, but if its causing you so much depression etc then it doesnt matter if you dont have severe acne. Its all about how its mentally harming you, not about how bad your acne is. I wish I could help you out with your questions, but since I havent been on accutane, im not sure. Keep us posted on how your doing. Good luck that this works.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/06/2017 5:04 am

On 3/3/2017 at 7:28 PM, Rachie39 said:

Wow! Seeing a dermatologist soooo fast even with private helath cover is so amazing! Like you said the wait time is about 6 months (the public system here at my local hospital, the waiting list is 14 months!) Im very pleased for you to find something that works. And your right, your acne might not be as bad as others, but if its causing you so much depression etc then it doesnt matter if you dont have severe acne. Its all about how its mentally harming you, not about how bad your acne is. I wish I could help you out with your questions, but since I havent been on accutane, im not sure. Keep us posted on how your doing. Good luck that this works.

Exactly! I'm very excited, hoping to get the call so I can pick my prescription up today. Little bummed though, my skin is the best it has looked in a long time and it's made me second guess the roaccutane but I just remind myself that this is a good day for my skin and it's normally a lot worse. My oil glands are very over-active and I wake up everyday with a dripping face it is that bad, I can't wait to start!!!

I will keep updating and may even include pictures shortly, I'm a bit hesitant though as it is so mild so I'm a bit worried I'll be bashed for going on such a severe medication for such a mild skin condition but hey ho. Looking forward to starting my journey to clear skin forever!!!!!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/06/2017 11:20 am

Day 1- Just picked up my prescription and started my first dose, I'm on 35mg for 5 weeks then believe my dose will be upped according on how my skin is looking. FYI my skin has never looked so clear, the past few days, just before starting accutane I decided to let go, not care about my skin and eat fucking shit because I've suffered not being able to eat any of it in the past as I was worried about my skin. I stopped caring as I knew it is going to get solved.. But guess what... My skins never been so clear in my life!

Ever since I stopped stressing and obsessing I've seen huge improvements in my skin, lets hope it keeps getting better, so yeah I will be documenting daily for the first week then weekly from there on out, it's going to be a long journey, but one I'm happy to be going on.

Skin currently - few comedones on forehead, blackheads around nose, little breakout healing on side of moustache, overall complexion pretty clear. I was worried to pick my prescription up as I thought if my dermatologist saw me he'd potentially tell me not to go on it as I'm sure my skin is looking the best it ever has right now! but thankfully I've started my first dose so here my log goes!!!

Will update tomorrow!

Rachie39 liked
MemberMember
(@dogbb7)

Posted : 03/07/2017 1:13 am

Why to up dossage? I had moderate acne, got 20 mg per day first month, then 30 mg per day in next months until i reach month 6.
Accutane have bad side effects if you take higher dosage, just take lower dosage for one or two months addition. You will get clear anyway even you take 30 mg or 80 mg per day.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/07/2017 2:32 am

1 hour ago, DogBB7 said:

Why to up dossage? I had moderate acne, got 20 mg per day first month, then 30 mg per day in next months until i reach month 6.
Accutane have bad side effects if you take higher dosage, just take lower dosage for one or two months addition. You will get clear anyway even you take 30 mg or 80 mg per day.

Me and the derm discussed it would be best to get my course over as quick as I can get it done. I'm guessing as my case isn't severe at all maybe it's easier to maintain the higher dosages without any serious initial breakouts. Who knows?

1 hour ago, DogBB7 said:

Me and the derm discussed it would be best to get my course over as quick as I can get it done. I'm guessing as my case isn't severe at all maybe it's easier to maintain the higher dosages without any serious initial breakouts. Who knows?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/07/2017 4:47 am

Happy for you. I hope this works well and that you dont get any side effects. Will be following you yo see how your doing. One thing though id suggest if your not already would be to keep seeing your dermatologist so he can keep an eye on things.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/07/2017 4:49 am

Just now, Rachie39 said:

Happy for you. I hope this works well and that you dont get any side effects. Will be following you yo see how your doing. One thing though id suggest if your not already would be to keep seeing your dermatologist so he can keep an eye on things.

Thanks Rachie!!! Will be seeing him in five weeks, going to do my
day 2 update in a minute and include my skin pictures too! Day 2 - day 2, taken my second pill this morning. Woke up feeling very nauseous, I'm sure it's just me thinking about the medication to much though. Need to stop obsessing over it so much. 

Skin very oily, maybe more oily then usual. I'm hoping that it starts to dry up pretty quickly. I'm going to post some photos to the log to see my start to finish experience fully. 

I've been very nervous to post pictures as people seem to bash others on the forum when there on it for mild acne and my acne is very mild as mentioned above, I just want to make it completly clear I don't want any negativity on my post and if you have a problem with me taking accutane that's your issue, your not a consultant dermatologist and you don't know my skin issues. 

Im completly aware of the harmful side effects but both me and my dermatologist agreed the potential results outweighs the side effects from the drug. This is my skin starting the medication! 

Will update tomorrow

p.s if anyone can reccommend a good mosturiser and gentle face wash regimen while on accutane would be appreciated! 

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/07/2017 5:35 am

Hopefully the nausa will calm down, but your right, it could be anxiety over taking the meds. This is your journey and its not for others to judge if you should be on it or not. If its what you have chosen while knowing the side effect, then thats your choice and others should respect that. I can understand why people wouldnt agree with you being on it as your acne is, (like you said) very mild, but this seems to be more about your mental health so if its going to help that and make you feel better then thats what really matters.

Id suggest an oil cleaning method but im not sure if thats ok while on accutane. Its the most gentle I can think of. Jojoba oil for a moisturiser is a good one.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/07/2017 8:17 am

2 hours ago, Rachie39 said:

Hopefully the nausa will calm down, but your right, it could be anxiety over taking the meds. This is your journey and its not for others to judge if you should be on it or not. If its what you have chosen while knowing the side effect, then thats your choice and others should respect that. I can understand why people wouldnt agree with you being on it as your acne is, (like you said) very mild, but this seems to be more about your mental health so if its going to help that and make you feel better then thats what really matters. 

Id suggest an oil cleaning method but im not sure if thats ok while on accutane. Its the most gentle I can think of. Jojoba oil for a moisturiser is a good one.

Thanks for the constructive response I appreciate it, if anything I'm documenting it to help others and let people who suffer with more mild skin conditions that if you are aware of the side effects and its an option and your happy to.. then do accutane!!! whats the point in waiting for it to get worse when you could potentially cure it forever! :) 

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/08/2017 6:09 am

Day 3- So it's day 3 now, just taken my 3rd bunch of 35mg pills. My lips are normally dry but I'm noticing that they are a little bit drier then usual, nothing crazy as of yet, some underground pimples on the side of my mouth seem a lot more inflamed then they were yesterday so i'm hoping thats accutane pushing them to the surface as they've been there FOREVER. skin is not dry what so ever, my skin is normal oily-combination dry cheeks oily t-zone but my t-zone is probably the oiliest its EVER been right now. I'm hoping i'll dry out soon... it's very strange that my skin is getting oilier, anyone experienced this before?

Will update tomorrow!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/09/2017 8:47 am

Day 4 and the side effects begin! The two pimples on the side of my mouth are becoming more inflamed but are not coming to a head which is really frustrating! 

My skin is beginning to flake a tiny tiny bit around my mouth but nothing crazy, skin still seems very oily in the morning and I'm hoping to see some dryness on the t-zone soon.

My throat is so so so dry, it makes it hard to breathe sometimes it's crazy! The sickness has gone away but the dryness is definitley beginning, trying to drink double the amount of water when I can otherwise I'm just crazy dehydrated! 

Redness is beginning to kick in around the cheeks and especially on the forehead, nothing a bit of cetaphil mosturiser hasn't fixed though! 

Will update tomorrow! 

P.S follow my journey on [removed] updating with pics daily too.

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/10/2017 3:33 pm

Day 5- Not sure if anyone is reading but I promised myself I would do this to look back at my progress. Skin is so oily, probably the oiliest it's ever been which makes me so sad I'm already doubting accutane 5 days in, I heard some people are dry straight away why am I so oily?!!! Can anyone explain please!!

The two pimples on the side of my mouth are still inflamed and both still haven't come to a head so that's annoying but overall progress not great so far, absolutely 0 side effects and lips have gone back to normal...

I wonder if accutane will work for me, I know it's 5 days in but I have a bad feeling - will update tomorrow

MemberMember
(@artmelkon)

Posted : 03/10/2017 11:54 pm

Casually I stumbled on your post and notices that you are really frustrated with your condition. I kinda don't believe that prescription drugs will help that much, to me they are lake a patch to the issue. I knew some people and all their efforts gone in vain. Believe me I don't what to discourage you using prescription drugs, but have you ever tried alternative medicine, they are effective too with no side-effects. I think coconut oil will help you as it has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. What you need to do is wash your face gently with hot water, let the pores on your skin open-up then apply coconut oil, warm up coconut oil in your palm before applying so it can liquefy and make sure to use organic virgin coconut oil, let it stay about 15 to 20 minutes and wash your face with lukewarm water and tap dry with clean facecloth. Do it about a week and you should see results. Obviously nothing is guaranteed as effects are different from person to person, however there are no side-effects. Good luck and I hope it will help.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/11/2017 1:09 am

Ive heard and seen on youtube get much worse before it gets better. Like with any new medication and regimens you have to give it atleast 6 weeks before you know if its working or not. But I know with accutane it can take months to improve.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/12/2017 3:45 am

Day 7 - I actually missed a day so it's now one week since I started accutane. 

My lips are very cracked it's the first sign of them peeling today and I can feel how dry they truly are now, skin is still more oily then ever and I'm wondering if that will ever go away?!?!

having bad night sweats too and it's waking me up which is a little strange, not bothering me to much though just can't wait for my skin to start drying up!!! This is how oily it is first thing in morning and towards the evening as well

IMG_3167.JPG

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 03/12/2017 8:38 am

Fellow mild acne accutane user here! My skin is still fairly worse than yours, but I consider it mild but persistent.
I feel like many mild users take a while to dry up, so don't worry about it. I've always taken it as we just don't have enough inflammation for the drug to tackle so it takes a little longer.
Your skin is looking great! Pimples will come because roaccuane usually has an initial break out, mine was pretty severe despite my acne being mild.
I'm looking forward to your updates! :D

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/12/2017 2:32 pm

5 hours ago, appiru said:

Fellow mild acne accutane user here! My skin is still fairly worse than yours, but I consider it mild but persistent.
I feel like many mild users take a while to dry up, so don't worry about it. I've always taken it as we just don't have enough inflammation for the drug to tackle so it takes a little longer.
Your skin is looking great! Pimples will come because roaccuane usually has an initial break out, mine was pretty severe despite my acne being mild.
I'm looking forward to your updates! :D

Thanks this has given me hope - I hope you continue to follow my updates :)

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/13/2017 6:54 am

Day 8-skin still stupidly oil, I notice Im breaking out a lot more again now, especially around my mouth and around my nose/forehead. Pimples are sore though, not just unsightly they actually hurt now. Taken some ibuprofen but so far no improvement, still oily and still quite frustrated but I get I must give accutane time. Anyone taken accutane for mild acne or oily skin before? when did you notice the oil started to reduce? I'm interested to know if anyone is reading this as well so please comment below. Thanks guys will update tomorrow!

mjk99 liked
MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/14/2017 8:25 am

Day 9 - Dryness definitely kicked in today! cheeks are starting to peel but I'm definitely not as dry as I was using differin cream lol, forehead very dry and flaky but I'll be interested to see if it gets oily throughout the day, I have a painful pimple with no head in my moustache area which is sore as F**K and the pimples by the side of my mouth are still closed over and are just raised bumps.. Im not sure how I'm going to get rid of them if accutane doesn't surface them?? 

But yeah day 9 shows something is starting to happen, a bit flaky and peeling a little but nothing crazy as of yet, few breakouts pretty minor around forehead and mouth I think my initial breakout has started this pimple is so sore, lets hope things start to improve :D

Will update in a few days now or when convenient as nothing has really been changing as such!

S_G liked
MemberMember
(@s_g)

Posted : 03/14/2017 11:07 pm

ive been following your "journey" haha
i think you are doing really good.. and yes, same reaction: "dryness definitelykicked in"
keep it up!!!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/17/2017 6:43 am

On 3/15/2017 at 4:07 AM, S_G said:

ive been following your "journey" haha
i think you are doing really good.. and yes, same reaction: "dryness definitely kicked in"
keep it up!!!

great to hear someone is reading!! :) 

Day 12 - Nearly at the two week mark on roaccutane now! god its going so so quick, I imagine it will be over before I know it! anyway..

My lips are sahara desert dry now, they crack in my sleep and I woke up at 4am last night and actually had to apply blistex to my lips they were so painful they were keeping me awake! I never thought my lips or skin would dry out as knowing my luck with my acne I just thought it wouldn't work for me so I'm glad to see something is happening, t-zone is FINALLY!!!!!!!!! beginning to dry out, its so much drier then it was one week ago, last week it was overly oily so I'm so glad to see it is now completely drying out. 

I work out at a crossfire class everyday and am most definitely aching much more then I normally would, particually my back and arms, my throat is extremely dry and my scalp is very itchy and dry as well. I am experiencing quite a few side affects but non that bother me enough to come of the drug. As far as acne there are still loads of comedonal bumps on my forehead, surrounding my nose and a few on the side of my mouth and around my chin, there is also a really sore spot with no head (my first cyst?) above my lip which is an absolute KILLER it hurts so much. Apart from the one small cyst and all of the comedones its looking reasonable. 

I'm really hoping accutane can surface these comedones and get rid of them, Im not sure if Its as successful with comedonal acne as it is with inflammotory acne but lets see. 

I will update in two days on the two week mark! 

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/18/2017 2:16 am

Glad to hear its going well. Can you take a pic of what maybe a cyst? I get them so would know it if I saw. The dry lips sound so painful!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/18/2017 6:09 am

3 hours ago, Rachie39 said:

Glad to hear its going well. Can you take a pic of what maybe a cyst? I get them so would know it if I saw. The dry lips sound so painful!

It was a whitehead in the end as it popped! will be updating with face pics tomorrow at 2 week mark! hope everyone is good :)

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 03/18/2017 7:59 am

Followed. Currently plan to begin Accutane in the near future. Your face seems almost clear. Keep us updated man :)