Notifications
Clear all

Is this too much?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/02/2017 11:15 pm

Hi.
Im 31 and have adult hormonal acne on around my mouth and jawline area. Its mostly just small whiteheads and rednessat the moment and hyperpigmentation scaring. Over the past 7 weeks I have been eating better and drinking alot more water (im now up to3 Litres a day). My skin has cleared quite a bit and I havent had cysts for awhile (touchwood). Im also drinking teaspoon size amounts ofcoconut oilthroughout the day, and using it as a face mask twice a week atleast.

The skin care regimen im trying now is:

MORNING
- cleaning with cetaphil oily skin cleanser in shower
- toning with ACV (1 part water and 1 part acv)
- benzac ac gel 2.5% (Benzyl peroxide)
- (a moisturiser with sunscreen, im going to try Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel SPF 15 as I live in Australia and need a sunscreen each morning)

EVENING
- cleaning with cetaphil face wipes
- toning with ACV ( 1 part acv and 1 part water)
- benzac ac gel 2.5%
- jojoba oil (1 pump)

Too much? Or does that seem ok? What should i keep in or take out? I would really really like to hear what you guys think.

MemberMember
(@mybody101)

Posted : 03/03/2017 4:17 pm

Benzyl peroxide twice a day seems a little intense, but I prefer to go minimal with skincare and address the issues elsewhere.

Why not look to control your hormones with supplements?

The typical person with hormonal acne problems either produces too much estrogen or too much testosterone. Both can be addressed with supplements. Estroblock, Vitex, & Ashwagandha all help to control hormones, in different ways though. Research your symptoms (or consult with a professional) and see which one would help most. There are others too.

From there, see if you can figure out what has been causing an influx of hormones to be released. This usually comes from some kind of stress in your diet or environment, but can also be emotionally based as well.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/03/2017 10:38 pm

6 hours ago, MyBody101 said:

Benzyl peroxide twice a day seems a little intense, but I prefer to go minimal with skincare and address the issues elsewhere.

Why not look to control your hormones with supplements?

The typical person with hormonal acne problems either produces too much estrogen or too much testosterone. Both can be addressed with supplements. Estroblock, Vitex, & Ashwagandha all help to control hormones, in different ways though. Research your symptoms (or consult with a professional) and see which one would help most. There are others too.

From there, see if you can figure out what has been causing an influx of hormones to be released. This usually comes from some kind of stress in your diet or environment, but can also be emotionally based as well.

i probably should have also added that im anorexic (have been for 17 years) so while ive just come out of hospital where my nutrition made a big improvement, im still keeping my intake were its ment to be. I know that has impacted my skin so its not just hormones. I didnt know about supplements for hormones. Im in Australia so im not sure what we have. I do have a wonderful GP that I have been seeing 2-3 times a week for 4 years, so I will ask her about them. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 03/03/2017 10:52 pm

The change in temperature/climate/humidity could be making you get whiteheads. I'm not a female but I've heard great things from birth control or spironolactone. Definitely could be hormonal related. Good luck.

ACV twice a day might be too tough for your skin especially with that benzoyl peroxide.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/03/2017 11:01 pm

7 minutes ago, ohhhhhhnooooooo said:

The change in temperature/climate/humidity could be making you get whiteheads. I'm not a female but I've heard great things from birth control or spironolactone. Definitely could be hormonal related. Good luck.

thank you. And your right, ive heard birth control is amazing but I have my own personal issues about why im not taking them (nothing related to pregnancy etc). And you made me realise too, ive just been in hospital for the past 2 months and thats 24 hr air-conditioning so that could definitely have played a part.