Notifications
Clear all

What is Beautiful?

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 03/02/2017 12:09 am

The other day I read an article about a young lady named Turia Pitt. She is a very beautiful young lady who has a very unique and crazy story. She used to be a normal young girl and a model until she got into a bushfire while competing in a racethat burned 65% of her body leaving her very mutilated (you can Google her if you like). The accident forced her to lose a couple of her fingers as well. Right now she looks different but she is still a very happy and absolutely gorgeous inside and out lady. She radiances very positive energy, strong will and absolutely unquestionable strong wisdom. She is a very lucky and a very happy woman(her words too). She is adored, admired by her friends, family (including her loving husband) and fans ( such as me). It made me wonder..here I am damaged by acne. I spend so much money and time on trying to fix small scars left behind the cystic acne and years of psychological damage from them. I constantly assume I am judged because of the scars that nobody can see( God! I hope), I avoid eye contact with strangers and let's not start me on my first dates and relationships... So I really wonder what does make us well rounded human beings? Is it the support around us or is it power and energy within us? My question is...do you think you are hurting and damaged because you don't have/had appropriate support around you or is it something else within you? What would make you feel beautiful and empowered besides the skin? What makes us beautiful inside and out? xoxo Bella

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 03/04/2017 8:04 pm

On 2 March 2017 at 5:09 AM, iCogito said:

So I really wonder what does make us well rounded human beings? Is it the support around us or is it power and energy within us?

Its the reinforcement of our own beliefs, particularly during our early and formative years, that shapes us as people. Put simply, if you think that you are ugly and are repeatedly told that you are ugly, your belief in your own ugliness will be validated.

On 2 March 2017 at 5:09 AM, iCogito said:

What makes us beautiful inside and out?

You ask an interesting question, although its really impossible to answer as beauty is speculative and ultimately undefinable. Its a bit of a nebulous concept that has come to mean anything positive or the absence of anything negative. A person, a sunset, an idea, a poem, a painting, a book, a moment; these can all be described as beautiful, yet they are all intrinsically different.

Aesthetic beauty in people is of course subjective, although things that would indicate signs of disease or ageing (such as scaring, infection, or a lack of symmetry) seem to be generally disliked on a subconscious level.

Inner beauty in the sense were talking about is really just another term for charm. Charm is a mix of confidence, self awareness and sociability. What makes a person naturally like this is years of reinforcement from others (environment, society, peers etc.), which builds their confidence and allows them to hone their skills.It can also be fabricated by someone who does not naturally have these charming characteristics. Although even inner beauty is subjective, as someone that you may find charming may be viewed differently by others.

One trend that I dislike is the idea that we are all somehow entitled to be seen asaestheticallybeautiful, which has led to the co-opting of the phrase everyone is beautiful". What that used to mean is that everyone is beautiful on the inside and that outward appearances are irrelevant. This has since been corrupted into meaning that everyone is beautiful inside and out, and anyone who disputes this is themselves an ugly person (which sort of contradicts the original sentiment when you think about it).

I dont think Turia Pitt is beautiful on the outside. I dont think the outside is relevant. She has inner beauty and that should be all that matters.

MemberMember
(@mylifeisacne)

Posted : 03/11/2017 12:19 am

Its not up for debate. Stop listening to lies. Beauty isn't subjective. It's actually really objective and most if not all people agree on universal beauty standards. You will never be beautiful or anything resembling beautiful if you have acne, its just the way it is. In fact, acne automatically makes you ugly and grotesque, no matter how bright or positive your "personality" is. Good luck embracing the truth.

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 03/13/2017 10:37 pm

On 3/4/2017 at 5:04 PM, jwalk said:
Its the reinforcement of our own beliefs, particularly during our early and formative years, that shapes us as people. Put simply, if you think that you are ugly and are repeatedly told that you are ugly, your belief in your own ugliness will be validated.

You ask an interesting question, although its really impossible to answer as beauty is speculative and ultimately undefinable. Its a bit of a nebulous concept that has come to mean anything positive or the absence of anything negative. A person, a sunset, an idea, a poem, a painting, a book, a moment; these can all be described as beautiful, yet they are all intrinsically different.

Aesthetic beauty in people is of course subjective, although things that would indicate signs of disease or ageing (such as scaring, infection, or a lack of symmetry) seem to be generally disliked on a subconscious level.

Inner beauty in the sense were talking about is really just another term for charm. Charm is a mix of confidence, self awareness and sociability. What makes a person naturally like this is years of reinforcement from others (environment, society, peers etc.), which builds their confidence and allows them to hone their skills.It can also be fabricated by someone who does not naturally have these charming characteristics. Although even inner beauty is subjective, as someone that you may find charming may be viewed differently by others.

One trend that I dislike is the idea that we are all somehow entitled to be seen asaestheticallybeautiful, which has led to the co-opting of the phrase everyone is beautiful". What that used to mean is that everyone is beautiful on the inside and that outward appearances are irrelevant. This has since been corrupted into meaning that everyone is beautiful inside and out, and anyone who disputes this is themselves an ugly person (which sort of contradicts the original sentiment when you think about it).

I dont think Turia Pitt is beautiful on the outside. I dont think the outside is relevant. She has inner beauty and that should be all that matters.

I absolutely adore your post. Thank you so much for a great analysis. I especially agree with today's "beautiful inside and out" phrase popularity that does have a great intention but still fuels the shallow outlook. However, it is amazing how when we like someone for who they are "inside", they somehow magically seem very attractive physically "outside". I personally do think Turia is beautiful outside as well-she has beautiful eyes, great hair and great body that many don't. Also, physical beauty does not last in general even if we do have it. As we grow old, we age outside and have to face the sagging, wrinkled face everyday in the mirror. At the end of the day I would rather be friends with "The Man who Laughs" than "Dorian Gray".