Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicman246810

Masturbating and weightlifting = oily skin = Acne? Experiment

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

So I want to try out a theory of mine. I'm currently 21 male and have been dealing with moderate acne since I was 18. Oily skin, tons of blackheads, whiteheads large inflamed zits. I've tried countless OTC products, prescription topicals, and diet changes with no improvements. 

I had flawless perfect skin throughout all of high school until I got my first zit my senior year of high school. Of cource it happened during my senior prom lol. Anyways, my senior year of high school is when I started getting into weight lifting when I was 18. I've been reading online that weightlifting = increased testosterone> Increased DHT hormones>oily skin>acne. Masturbation also is known to increase testosterone. I've been weightlifting pretty consistently since then and my acne has gotten worse and worse. It clears up a little during the summer due to the sun drying out my skins oil but it has gotten to the point where I get depressed a lot of the time.

When I take some time off weight lifting I have  noticed my skin is less oily and I get fewer breakouts but I have never done this long enough to see if it lasts. I also eat a shit ton of food when I'm working out which also isn't good for my hormones. 

So basically what I am experimenting is if my hormones are the cause of my acne. I'm going to not do any weightlifting or masturbating (I know gonna be hard) for 2 months and see if my acne gets better. I'll continue to exercise but only short bursts of interval cardio training since aerobic exercised (running) doesnt seem to affect testosterone levels. I also just started using a new topical lotion (klaron) for my acne and I like it so far as it doesn't irritate the skin. 

Anyways I'll keep you guys updated and let me know if you've tried this and had success with this

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Disclaimer: I've built up a "Masturbation Acne Hypothesis" based on current scientific research; I'll disclose more about it in a few months. My post will thus be biased based on my findings.]
 
Your hypothesis is slightly correct, but very much simplified and misconstrued. Weight lifting does not cause acne nor does it increase the incidence of it; matter in fact, it should help clear your skin if done in moderation. But, to explain the phenomenon you're experiencing, I'll tell you why it's happening and what you can do about it. 
  • There's two misconceptions: More Testosterone doesn't equate to more Acne. Oily skin doesn't equate to acne.
    • They just happen to be two variables that may contribute in a combination of other factors.
It's most likely caused by your diet
  • The bodybuilding diet consists of High Carbohydrate, High Protein, and Low in Fats. 
  • Trigger foods: Whey and Excessive Consumption of Carbohydrate sources
  • Trigger Supplements: Creatine and any testosterone boosting supplement (These supplements have been proven to increase DHT several-fold)
  • The bodybuilding diet is typically high on the glycemic index and leads to high insulin = acne
 
  • What you can do: Balance out your carbohydrate + protein ratio and staying within a moderate glycemic index
    • Use another protein source other than dairy based as dairy is an allergen which can trigger inflammation and acne
      • Studies have shown that diets higher in glycemic index are equated to higher incidences of acne.
      • Here's one study out of the tens of studies I have:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20822969 (“This study also showed that a high glycemic load diet, dairy food intake, high fat diet, and iodine in Korean foods appear to play a role in acne exacerbation.”)
      • Low glycemic index diets have improved acne
    • Consume more vegetables. Specifically Spinach, Kale, Carrots, and Celery. I make a smoothie every morning of this and it helps balance hormones. 
 
  • Supplementation: You've claimed to suffer from oily skin. Here's a very good fix: Use 2-3/grams of B5 + Vitamin C + 2-3/grams Acetyl L-Cysteine + Zinc (balanced with copper)
    • B5 enhances lipid breakdown, carbohydrate breakdown, and increases Coenzyme A. This stack will significantly decrease sebum production by more than 50% at least if used for a month
    • Zinc will prevent breakouts all around. It's proven to be as effective as antibiotics in acne. 
      • Use this stack and you will thank me. 
  • Topical Route for Oily Skin:
    • Use Milk Of Magnesia Mask ($2-4). Buy the original without all the added ingredients. Simply purchase it, buy some cotton pads, soak pads, apply to face, let it air dry for 1-3 minutes, and wash off.
      • This is an instant oil control treatment. Controls oil for 6-8 hours reliably.
  • Use the Sauna:
    • Regular Sauna Usage was associated with lower sebum production, enhanced skin barrier function, and less acne
      • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18525205 (“A decrease in casual skin sebum content on the skin surface of the forehead was observed in these volunteers….The present data suggest a protective effect of regular sauna on skin physiology, especially surface pH and stratum corneum water-holding capacity.”)

Psychological Health and Acne
  • There's been a direct correlation between quality of life and severity of acne. 
    • That being said: Depression can worsen and possibly cause acne
    • Stress can as well as shown from various studies and anecdotal accounts all around this forum
      • Go around this forum and I guarantee you that 95% of the people here suffer from some type of psychological disorder
        • DisclaimerThis isn't a real statistic, but a generalized guess based on the research I've seen. 
  • Depression affects your gut, gut permeability, gut bacteria, production of Substance P - a neuropeptide that induces acne, dysregulates HPA-axis, and etc.
  • Stress affects lipid synthesis, testosterone production, and etc.
  • Solution: Stop worrying about your skin. Every time you look in the mirror, convince yourself that your skin looks beautiful and see the positives in it. Believe your skin is healing and that it's cured.
    • This is called mindfulness and it will only enhance your results, self-esteem, and attitude towards acne. 

I would show you the studies but it's absolutely overwhelming. In terms of your masturbation hypothesis, it's not news to anyone over here. Many people reject it but a lot of anecdotal accounts support it. There were some good hypothesises here about it, but nobody hit the nail on what the role of masturbation has with acne. 

I found out through research. I would share it, but it's going to be a very long post and as you can see; I care about giving you quality content. Long story short, masturbation can contribute to acne. Do what you want with that information, but I have no agenda to have people stop masturbating based on my hypothesis. 
 
Edited by AcneScience
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply AcneScience. This is all very helpful information that I'll use. I used to have whey protein after every workout but I cut that out a few weeks ago. I also have a big bowl of yogurt and granola with fruit every morning but I might cut out yogurt and try and go dairy free. Whenever I weight lift I always eat a LOT of carbs and protein also afterwards as my overall goal was to bulk and get bigger. Different factors definitely affect people's acne differently as everyone's body is different so I guess it's mainly figuring out how to balance everything out in your body. I'm trying to not look in the mirror as much either as it stresses me out more. Just kinda sucks I wish I go acne in high school like a normal person and not throughout all of college when I need to be the most confident. Definitely a downer:( I really appreciate your response though I'm going to definitely try some of these things while I go on this 2 month experiment 

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, AcneScience said:
[Disclaimer: I've built up a "Masturbation Acne Hypothesis" based on current scientific research; I'll disclose more about it in a few months. My post will thus be biased based on my findings.]
 
Your hypothesis is slightly correct, but very much simplified and misconstrued. Weight lifting does not cause acne nor does it increase the incidence of it; matter in fact, it should help clear your skin if done in moderation. But, to explain the phenomenon you're experiencing, I'll tell you why it's happening and what you can do about it. 
  • There's two misconceptions: More Testosterone doesn't equate to more Acne. Oily skin doesn't equate to acne.
    • They just happen to be two variables that may contribute in a combination of other factors.
It's most likely caused by your diet
  • The bodybuilding diet consists of High Carbohydrate, High Protein, and Low in Fats. 
  • Trigger foods: Whey and Excessive Consumption of Carbohydrate sources
  • Trigger Supplements: Creatine and any testosterone boosting supplement (These supplements have been proven to increase DHT several-fold)
  • The bodybuilding diet is typically high on the glycemic index and leads to high insulin = acne
 
  • What you can do: Balance out your carbohydrate + protein ratio and staying within a moderate glycemic index
    • Use another protein source other than dairy based as dairy is an allergen which can trigger inflammation and acne
      • Studies have shown that diets higher in glycemic index are equated to higher incidences of acne.
      • Here's one study out of the tens of studies I have:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20822969 (“This study also showed that a high glycemic load diet, dairy food intake, high fat diet, and iodine in Korean foods appear to play a role in acne exacerbation.”)
      • Low glycemic index diets have improved acne
    • Consume more vegetables. Specifically Spinach, Kale, Carrots, and Celery. I make a smoothie every morning of this and it helps balance hormones. 
 
  • Supplementation: You've claimed to suffer from oily skin. Here's a very good fix: Use 2-3/grams of B5 + Vitamin C + 2-3/grams Acetyl L-Cysteine + Zinc (balanced with copper)
    • B5 enhances lipid breakdown, carbohydrate breakdown, and increases Coenzyme A. This stack will significantly decrease sebum production by more than 50% at least if used for a month
    • Zinc will prevent breakouts all around. It's proven to be as effective as antibiotics in acne. 
      • Use this stack and you will thank me. 
  • Topical Route for Oily Skin:
    • Use Milk Of Magnesia Mask ($2-4). Buy the original without all the added ingredients. Simply purchase it, buy some cotton pads, soak pads, apply to face, let it air dry for 1-3 minutes, and wash off.
      • This is an instant oil control treatment. Controls oil for 6-8 hours reliably.
  • Use the Sauna:
    • Regular Sauna Usage was associated with lower sebum production, enhanced skin barrier function, and less acne
      • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18525205 (“A decrease in casual skin sebum content on the skin surface of the forehead was observed in these volunteers….The present data suggest a protective effect of regular sauna on skin physiology, especially surface pH and stratum corneum water-holding capacity.”)

Psychological Health and Acne
  • There's been a direct correlation between quality of life and severity of acne. 
    • That being said: Depression can worsen and possibly cause acne
    • Stress can as well as shown from various studies and anecdotal accounts all around this forum
      • Go around this forum and I guarantee you that 95% of the people here suffer from some type of psychological disorder
        • DisclaimerThis isn't a real statistic, but a generalized guess based on the research I've seen. 
  • Depression affects your gut, gut permeability, gut bacteria, production of Substance P - a neuropeptide that induces acne, dysregulates HPA-axis, and etc.
  • Stress affects lipid synthesis, testosterone production, and etc.
  • Solution: Stop worrying about your skin. Every time you look in the mirror, convince yourself that your skin looks beautiful and see the positives in it. Believe your skin is healing and that it's cured.
    • This is called mindfulness and it will only enhance your results, self-esteem, and attitude towards acne. 

I would show you the studies but it's absolutely overwhelming. In terms of your masturbation hypothesis, it's not news to anyone over here. Many people reject it but a lot of anecdotal accounts support it. There were some good hypothesises here about it, but nobody hit the nail on what the role of masturbation has with acne. 

I found out through research. I would share it, but it's going to be a very long post and as you can see; I care about giving you quality content. Long story short, masturbation does contribute to acne. Do what you want with that information, but I have no agenda to have people stop masturbating based on my hypothesis. 
 
I disagree ever since i started building muscle acne came and my diet didnt change 1 bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DandyTsunami said:
1 hour ago, AcneScience said:
[Disclaimer: I've built up a "Masturbation Acne Hypothesis" based on current scientific research; I'll disclose more about it in a few months. My post will thus be biased based on my findings.]
 
Your hypothesis is slightly correct, but very much simplified and misconstrued. Weight lifting does not cause acne nor does it increase the incidence of it; matter in fact, it should help clear your skin if done in moderation. But, to explain the phenomenon you're experiencing, I'll tell you why it's happening and what you can do about it. 
  • There's two misconceptions: More Testosterone doesn't equate to more Acne. Oily skin doesn't equate to acne.
    • They just happen to be two variables that may contribute in a combination of other factors.
It's most likely caused by your diet
  • The bodybuilding diet consists of High Carbohydrate, High Protein, and Low in Fats. 
  • Trigger foods: Whey and Excessive Consumption of Carbohydrate sources
  • Trigger Supplements: Creatine and any testosterone boosting supplement (These supplements have been proven to increase DHT several-fold)
  • The bodybuilding diet is typically high on the glycemic index and leads to high insulin = acne
 
  • What you can do: Balance out your carbohydrate + protein ratio and staying within a moderate glycemic index
    • Use another protein source other than dairy based as dairy is an allergen which can trigger inflammation and acne
      • Studies have shown that diets higher in glycemic index are equated to higher incidences of acne.
      • Here's one study out of the tens of studies I have:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20822969 (“This study also showed that a high glycemic load diet, dairy food intake, high fat diet, and iodine in Korean foods appear to play a role in acne exacerbation.”)
      • Low glycemic index diets have improved acne
    • Consume more vegetables. Specifically Spinach, Kale, Carrots, and Celery. I make a smoothie every morning of this and it helps balance hormones. 
 
  • Supplementation: You've claimed to suffer from oily skin. Here's a very good fix: Use 2-3/grams of B5 + Vitamin C + 2-3/grams Acetyl L-Cysteine + Zinc (balanced with copper)
    • B5 enhances lipid breakdown, carbohydrate breakdown, and increases Coenzyme A. This stack will significantly decrease sebum production by more than 50% at least if used for a month
    • Zinc will prevent breakouts all around. It's proven to be as effective as antibiotics in acne. 
      • Use this stack and you will thank me. 
  • Topical Route for Oily Skin:
    • Use Milk Of Magnesia Mask ($2-4). Buy the original without all the added ingredients. Simply purchase it, buy some cotton pads, soak pads, apply to face, let it air dry for 1-3 minutes, and wash off.
      • This is an instant oil control treatment. Controls oil for 6-8 hours reliably.
  • Use the Sauna:
    • Regular Sauna Usage was associated with lower sebum production, enhanced skin barrier function, and less acne
      • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18525205 (“A decrease in casual skin sebum content on the skin surface of the forehead was observed in these volunteers….The present data suggest a protective effect of regular sauna on skin physiology, especially surface pH and stratum corneum water-holding capacity.”)

Psychological Health and Acne
  • There's been a direct correlation between quality of life and severity of acne. 
    • That being said: Depression can worsen and possibly cause acne
    • Stress can as well as shown from various studies and anecdotal accounts all around this forum
      • Go around this forum and I guarantee you that 95% of the people here suffer from some type of psychological disorder
        • DisclaimerThis isn't a real statistic, but a generalized guess based on the research I've seen. 
  • Depression affects your gut, gut permeability, gut bacteria, production of Substance P - a neuropeptide that induces acne, dysregulates HPA-axis, and etc.
  • Stress affects lipid synthesis, testosterone production, and etc.
  • Solution: Stop worrying about your skin. Every time you look in the mirror, convince yourself that your skin looks beautiful and see the positives in it. Believe your skin is healing and that it's cured.
    • This is called mindfulness and it will only enhance your results, self-esteem, and attitude towards acne. 

I would show you the studies but it's absolutely overwhelming. In terms of your masturbation hypothesis, it's not news to anyone over here. Many people reject it but a lot of anecdotal accounts support it. There were some good hypothesises here about it, but nobody hit the nail on what the role of masturbation has with acne. 

I found out through research. I would share it, but it's going to be a very long post and as you can see; I care about giving you quality content. Long story short, masturbation does contribute to acne. Do what you want with that information, but I have no agenda to have people stop masturbating based on my hypothesis. 
 
 
I disagree ever since i started building muscle acne came and my diet didnt change 1 bit
 
Everyone will have a different anecdotal account. You may not take into account the different supplements you take, face washing routine (sweat produced from workout), over exercising (a stressor), or some other type of variable you may not have taken into account. 

There's no evidence regardless that bodybuilding can cause or worsen acne. One could hypothesize that there's slight fluctations of testosterone with working out but returns back to baseline shortly after working out. But that hypothesis is wrong in more ways that I can think. 
58 minutes ago, magicman246810 said:

Thanks for the reply AcneScience. This is all very helpful information that I'll use. I used to have whey protein after every workout but I cut that out a few weeks ago. I also have a big bowl of yogurt and granola with fruit every morning but I might cut out yogurt and try and go dairy free. Whenever I weight lift I always eat a LOT of carbs and protein also afterwards as my overall goal was to bulk and get bigger. Different factors definitely affect people's acne differently as everyone's body is different so I guess it's mainly figuring out how to balance everything out in your body. I'm trying to not look in the mirror as much either as it stresses me out more. Just kinda sucks I wish I go acne in high school like a normal person and not throughout all of college when I need to be the most confident. Definitely a downer:( I really appreciate your response though I'm going to definitely try some of these things while I go on this 2 month experiment 

 
No problem at all, Magicman! I've experienced the same things. I'm not going to tell you what or what not to do, but those are some very good general tips. Just experiment and adapt. 

Let me know how your 2-month experiment goes and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AcneScience said:
Everyone will have a different anecdotal account. You may not take into account the different supplements you take, face washing routine (sweat produced from workout), over exercising (a stressor), or some other type of variable you may not have taken into account. 

There's no evidence regardless that bodybuilding can cause or worsen acne. One could hypothesize that there's slight fluctations of testosterone with working out but returns back to baseline shortly after working out. But that hypothesis is wrong in more ways that I can think.  No problem at all, Magicman! I've experienced the same things. I'm not going to tell you what or what not to do, but those are some very good general tips. Just experiment and adapt. 

Let me know how your 2-month experiment goes and let me know if you have anymore questions!
I could rub myself with poop have the most stressfull day in the world and even take milk supplement overdose iwouldnt get 1 zit before building muscle so all these studies are nice but personal experience is the real education
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in with you guys too. @magicman246810 
And thank you for your recommendation @AcneScience

Just sharing, I have tried & failed. So let me introduce a bit about myself & my experiment: 
- 24 yrs old male
- light to moderate exercise, mostly bodyweight (push up, pull up, abs crunch, kettlebell swing) 
- suffer hormonal acne (from masturbation, may be in a more precise term: ejaculation) 
- What I consume: don't eat junk foods, no milk, no pizza, no body building supplements, no beverage nor beer. I don't smoke either. I drink 2.5 litres water a day (adequate amount for my body weight)
- My supplement: currently I take Blackmores Bio Zinc pill (a trusted brand in Australia), sometimes I drink detox tea (to help clean my liver) 
- I don't stay up late, the latest is 11:30 PM. my norm is 11:00 PM.
- I don't feel stress very often. 
- I wash face 2 times everyday following applying the toner

We are on the same boat,
EVERYTIME I masturbate, acne comes up (usually jawline & temple area), 6 to seven zits. Please note that I don't "overdo" it. I have tried all range (and failed): once a week, once every 2 weeks, once every 3 weeks, once a month, once every 2 months, 3 months, even 6 months (the hell I don't know how can I overcome the desire). I feel my testosterone level rise rapidly after doing it (I feel hot , my temperature rises, like hot flashes, a sudden increase in temperature, my oil production doubles or even triples, oil on all over my face)

Now I still don't know how to break this spell :( 
I don't like to resort to Accutane due to its disastrous long term consequences.

I can confirm that mastubation causes acne (from my many years real experience). 

P.S. Self esteem does not help. It is nice to try. I'd like to come up with some more practical solution (like the supplements you recommend)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DandyTsunami said:
7 hours ago, AcneScience said:
Everyone will have a different anecdotal account. You may not take into account the different supplements you take, face washing routine (sweat produced from workout), over exercising (a stressor), or some other type of variable you may not have taken into account. 

There's no evidence regardless that bodybuilding can cause or worsen acne. One could hypothesize that there's slight fluctations of testosterone with working out but returns back to baseline shortly after working out. But that hypothesis is wrong in more ways that I can think.  No problem at all, Magicman! I've experienced the same things. I'm not going to tell you what or what not to do, but those are some very good general tips. Just experiment and adapt. 

Let me know how your 2-month experiment goes and let me know if you have anymore questions!
 
I could rub myself with poop have the most stressfull day in the world and even take milk supplement overdose iwouldnt get 1 zit before building muscle so all these studies are nice but personal experience is the real education
 
I never disagreed with you, I'm just stating there's no evidence. If it helps you to not to bodybuild then go for it! Whatever helps your individual case better, all the better. 
52 minutes ago, shmilyM said:

I am in with you guys too. @magicman246810 
And thank you for your recommendation @AcneScience

Just sharing, I have tried & failed. So let me introduce a bit about myself & my experiment: 
- 24 yrs old male
- light to moderate exercise, mostly bodyweight (push up, pull up, abs crunch, kettlebell swing) 
- suffer hormonal acne (from masturbation, may be in a more precise term: ejaculation) 
- What I consume: don't eat junk foods, no milk, no pizza, no body building supplements, no beverage nor beer. I don't smoke either. I drink 2.5 litres water a day (adequate amount for my body weight)
- My supplement: currently I take Blackmores Bio Zinc pill (a trusted brand in Australia), sometimes I drink detox tea (to help clean my liver) 
- I don't stay up late, the latest is 11:30 PM. my norm is 11:00 PM.
- I don't feel stress very often. 
- I wash face 2 times everyday following applying the toner

We are on the same boat,
EVERYTIME I masturbate, acne comes up (usually jawline & temple area), 6 to seven zits. Please note that I don't "overdo" it. I have tried all range (and failed): once a week, once every 2 weeks, once every 3 weeks, once a month, once every 2 months, 3 months, even 6 months (the hell I don't know how can I overcome the desire). I feel my testosterone level rise rapidly after doing it (I feel hot , my temperature rises, like hot flashes, a sudden increase in temperature, my oil production doubles or even triples, oil on all over my face)

Now I still don't know how to break this spell :( 
I don't like to resort to Accutane due to its disastrous long term consequences.

I can confirm that mastubation causes acne (from my many years real experience). 

P.S. Self esteem does not help. It is nice to try. I'd like to come up with some more practical solution (like the supplements you recommend)

 

 
Anecdotally, I experience the same things and I'm actually exactly in the same boat as you. I can explain why it happens, but I'll save that for another time. But, it lines up with all the anecdotal accounts we've seen. Thanks for your supporting account. 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@shmilyM
Did you notice reduced breakouts during those long streaks that you had before you caved each time? I have the same problem. I get hot flashes and feel my oil production ramp up as soon as I cave in after a short streak. Never made it past two weeks. Obviously it's hormone related for both of us I just don't know how to balance them out because there's so many things that can affect hormones. I've thought about asking my derm I put me on accutane too just to be done with this shit but he'll make me try antibiotics first and I don't want to put my liver and kidney through all of that. Along with risking long term damage from accutane either like you said. I've noticed when I eat less food too that helps reduce my oil production hence why I want to stop weightlifting for a little. Obviously increased oil production doesn't cause acne like AcneScience says but it definitely can be a factor in  the formation of it. Hormones are definitely affected by what you eat, the surrounding environment, your current mood there's too much that's going on fml. I just want to try this and see if this experiment for me makes any difference as a last resort
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 month = no significant result, 6,7 pimples 
3 months = yes, fewer acne but still has some, I don't record the number but definitely less than 1 month consequence
6 months = the longest streak, still has some, very few, often one or two
wet dream = no acne (this is strange, it happened during the 6 months period experimentation - 2 times)

Clearly, masturbation correlates with acne. But I think "refrain from doing it" is not a sustainable way. After all, you cannot tame your natural instinct (aka sex drive). I feel irritated & really want to do it. Unfortunately, I can't. Sometimes, I wish I could be like a normal person, Inwould rather have acne because of the food I eat than have acne because of ejaculation. But you should expriment yourself (to know how it feel like) & confirm your hypothesis. I did. But there was no happy ending to me...

@magicman246810, yeah right, we should try different approach before commiting to Accutane which is a killer drug (I have read so many post about Accutane on this forum & I swear I see many people record its horrible side effects ranging from digestive issue, ibs, dry skin, eyes, joint pain to erectile dysfunction, suicidal thought). I know it damages our self esteem alot (I really hate the mirror) but it is worth to find another cure for this curse. I have two other friends on another thread who are the same as us (but less severe due to their over masturbation). Right now they are inactive & I am still waiting for them to come back.

@AcneScience, I really appreciate your solution & detail recommendation which is scientific evidence based & persuasive enough. Thank you so much. But I have another question, your current approach is now effective in the oily case only? Do you suffer from acne after masturbation? 

Another question for both of you, masturabation & having sex are the same or different? Tbh, I can't confirm this (because I am still a virgin) :/


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do agree substaining from masturbating is not really a sustainable way to clear acne or a definite cure. I just want to experiment as I feel more confident when I obstain for a while too. See how long I can go.

Another thing to note I have been doing landscaping outside for the past 4 summers and my acne started right around when I began doing this. Long sweaty days in the hot sun all summer probably definitely wasn't good for my skin. I would lift weights too so I would be burning tons of calories. I wore a fit bit and no joke it said I would burn up to 5000 calories a day (I don't know how accurate this is) Because of this I swear  consumed 4000-5000 calories a day no joke. I would eat whenever I had free time. Which brings me back to my theory that consuming more calories (i.e. Trying to bulk definitely has some effect on your hormones and messes with your skin) Maybe it was over exercising too. I'm done landscaping so hopefully that helps.

Sun exposure is always good for acne too but too much can definitely cause more inflammation which I noticed a lot from time to time. Dried out my skin but with sweat and bacteria sitting on my skin it definitely broke out more. When I had really good skin I wasn't eating very much and just doing cardio (I played soccer growing up) so there's gotta be some correlation for me there. I do think it will take a long time for everything to balance out if I try this and it works some how. 

Also @shmilyM I think masturbating and sex have the same effect and if done too excessively can cause more breakouts in some people. Just my opinion though obviously it's definitely different. for everyone

@AcneScience gave some good diet tips and supplements that I'm also going to try as I try and clear up my skin

Btw I'm currently on day 3 of nofap and not bulking or heavy lifting so I'll give an update every week hopefully

Current skin care routine:
Morning: Shower, let dry for 10 min and apply klaron lotion ( some sort of sulfur antibiotic that fights bacteria on skin and is very gentle)
Night: Splash face with water, let dry for 10 min and apply klaron lotion

I've tried all sorts of topicals the whole run down (cleanse, apply acne meds, moisturize) and all they have done is irritate my skin more so I thought the simpler the better right

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, magicman246810 said:
@shmilyM
Did you notice reduced breakouts during those long streaks that you had before you caved each time? I have the same problem. I get hot flashes and feel my oil production ramp up as soon as I cave in after a short streak. Never made it past two weeks. Obviously it's hormone related for both of us I just don't know how to balance them out because there's so many things that can affect hormones. I've thought about asking my derm I put me on accutane too just to be done with this shit but he'll make me try antibiotics first and I don't want to put my liver and kidney through all of that. Along with risking long term damage from accutane either like you said. I've noticed when I eat less food too that helps reduce my oil production hence why I want to stop weightlifting for a little. Obviously increased oil production doesn't cause acne like AcneScience says but it definitely can be a factor in  the formation of it. Hormones are definitely affected by what you eat, the surrounding environment, your current mood there's too much that's going on fml. I just want to try this and see if this experiment for me makes any difference as a last resort
 
Try what I say first before trying Accutane. I took Accutane and though it does work, I did experience some very horrid side effects but due to some other contributing factors as well. 
3 hours ago, shmilyM said:

1 month = no significant result, 6,7 pimples 
3 months = yes, fewer acne but still has some, I don't record the number but definitely less than 1 month consequence
6 months = the longest streak, still has some, very few, often one or two
wet dream = no acne (this is strange, it happened during the 6 months period experimentation - 2 times)

Clearly, masturbation correlates with acne. But I think "refrain from doing it" is not a sustainable way. After all, you cannot tame your natural instinct (aka sex drive). I feel irritated & really want to do it. Unfortunately, I can't. Sometimes, I wish I could be like a normal person, Inwould rather have acne because of the food I eat than have acne because of ejaculation. But you should expriment yourself (to know how it feel like) & confirm your hypothesis. I did. But there was no happy ending to me...

@magicman246810, yeah right, we should try different approach before commiting to Accutane which is a killer drug (I have read so many post about Accutane on this forum & I swear I see many people record its horrible side effects ranging from digestive issue, ibs, dry skin, eyes, joint pain to erectile dysfunction, suicidal thought). I know it damages our self esteem alot (I really hate the mirror) but it is worth to find another cure for this curse. I have two other friends on another thread who are the same as us (but less severe due to their over masturbation). Right now they are inactive & I am still waiting for them to come back.

@AcneScience, I really appreciate your solution & detail recommendation which is scientific evidence based & persuasive enough. Thank you so much. But I have another question, your current approach is now effective in the oily case only? Do you suffer from acne after masturbation? 

Another question for both of you, masturabation & having sex are the same or different? Tbh, I can't confirm this (because I am still a virgin) :/


 

 
 
@shmilyM It should help any skin type, but it's more effective towards the oily skin type. Anecdotally, yes I do. I actually got my first pimple after ejaculating. Before, I would consume a whole gallon of milk a day without any reactions. After I started masturbating, I started to get frequent breakouts, oily skin, and inflammatory responses. 

I'm not on a crusade to have you, gentlemen, to refrain from masturbating. I'm on a crusade to help explain why and maybe find a way to go around the dilemma. The experiment should say if you can replicate similar results as I have. 

[P.S.: There's no difference in terms of hormonal responses.] 



 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@magicman246810 I haven't arranged an appoitment with dermatologist yet. But I have tried & failed some of the following supplements:
- Natural antibiotic (Neem) --> break out
- Probiotics (Garden of Life - Best Brand on the market) --> break out
- Omega 3s fish oil pill (Blackmores) --> break out
- Evening Primrose Oil (I was heard that It can cure hormone imbalance) --> break out
- Spirulina high strength --> break out
- Milk thistle --> break out
- Tumeric --> break out
- Green tea (have caffein content) --> break out
- Bio Zinc --> this helps healing alot, works. But it only partly supports not prevent future break out after masturbating. My must have
- Triple detox tea (no caffein) --> drink it every weekend to promote detoxification. Natural. A good one if I eat junk food plus my Bio Zinc pill has vitamin A so I need to take it to help my liver. A nice to have. 
- Psyllium husk --> take it for a year to support bowel movement & flush out toxin. Natural. A nice to have. 

I failed a lot. It's highly likely that a new supplement can cause me break out (so I'm so suspicious with antibiotic too, in the worst case if all failed, I will meet dermatologist)

Don't rush. Reply me if you have sparetime. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I thought I'd give an update.... the no masturbating thing is a no go. Couldn't keep that up and it's stupid in the long run. One thing I have noticed is that I haven't lifted weights in 2 weeks and my oil production has decreased. Not sure if this is from eating less or the not weight lifting. My diet hasn't changed at all I just got back from spring break and ate and drank like crap. I noticed that the salt water from the ocean really did a good job at drying out and clearing up my skin so I bought a bag of Dead Sea salt and am gonna start washing my face with that every night to see how that goes. I'm mainly just dealing with lots of blackheads and some minor scaring now so hopefully that can clear it up. Still gonna not weight lift for a total of 2 months and then start again after that to see if there's any correlation there. Another thing I noticed my temple veins don't bulge anymore. I used to have temple veins that would bulge and look like they were pulsating all the time but since I stopped weight lifting those have gone away. Maybe I was working out too hard idk. I'll give another update later on though I really do like to weight lift so I'm hoping there's no correlation there for me we'll see....

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with you about sea salt. A natural way to clean your face. Currently I am using acne org cleanser. But It is not easy like that. I mean like Dead Sea salt can help calm & clear your face but the main problem comes from inside your body. Anyway, just try it. 

Stay abstinence is really hard. It irritates me all the time (trying to go against your instinct).

I don't lift heavy, mostly body weight and KBs so I don't know if lifting too much cause me acne or not. Tbh, I am clearer when I working out (but it can't help prevent acne from masturbating).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look up Brian turner on youtube. This guy is a vegan body builder, he wasn't always vegan until he had enough of his acne post accutane. He started adding 12 servings of vegetables a day and man his acne went away completely. His skin was bad, he had big big ones, and now with his change of diet he can still get enough protein and carbs to be able to gain muscle and stay clear. I don't lift anymore but I'm trying to eat atleast 9 servings and vegetables and drinking 1 gallon of water a day. Eating vegetables isn't enough if you eat processed junk food with it, so it does take some self control. Try it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, davidctino said:

Look up Brian turner on youtube. This guy is a vegan body builder, he wasn't always vegan until he had enough of his acne post accutane. He started adding 12 servings of vegetables a day and man his acne went away completely. His skin was bad, he had big big ones, and now with his change of diet he can still get enough protein and carbs to be able to gain muscle and stay clear. I don't lift anymore but I'm trying to eat atleast 9 servings and vegetables and drinking 1 gallon of water a day. Eating vegetables isn't enough if you eat processed junk food with it, so it does take some self control. Try it.

Yeah I've seen some of his videos. He also took accutane for almost 2 years I think which is crazy. Diet probably helped a little but it was mostly the accutane that nuked his acne for sure. I still don't think acne is caused by diet to everyone. At least for me I don't to think it is. I eat like shit and my skin doesn't break out but sometimes when I eat healthy I break out. I do know that all those prescription creams and topicals are all bullshit. I trashed  all of them. I've been spraying my face with sea salt before I go to bed and after I shower when I wake up and my skin is really clearing up 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, magicman246810 said:
On 3/15/2017 at 0:19 PM, davidctino said:

Look up Brian turner on youtube. This guy is a vegan body builder, he wasn't always vegan until he had enough of his acne post accutane. He started adding 12 servings of vegetables a day and man his acne went away completely. His skin was bad, he had big big ones, and now with his change of diet he can still get enough protein and carbs to be able to gain muscle and stay clear. I don't lift anymore but I'm trying to eat atleast 9 servings and vegetables and drinking 1 gallon of water a day. Eating vegetables isn't enough if you eat processed junk food with it, so it does take some self control. Try it.

Yeah I've seen some of his videos. He also took accutane for almost 2 years I think which is crazy. Diet probably helped a little but it was mostly the accutane that nuked his acne for sure. I still don't think acne is caused by diet to everyone. At least for me I don't to think it is. I eat like shit and my skin doesn't break out but sometimes when I eat healthy I break out. I do know that all those prescription creams and topicals are all bullshit. I trashed  all of them. I've been spraying my face with sea salt before I go to bed and after I shower when I wake up and my skin is really clearing up 
I'm pretty sure his diet is the thing that changed his face because when he got off accutane it came back, if he didn't change his diet it would be back no tree what. I've been overloading in vegetables past few a days and I feel good and my skin hasn't broke out. Diet may not cause acne directly but it can make it better/worse. People say they eat healthy but don't incorporate enough vegetables and water. Vegetables and fruits are packed with vitamins and antioxidants that benefits your skin regardless if you have acne or not. I'd rather over load on veggies than to be on a chemical regime every single day that would make my skin dryer than what it is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't know the exact reason that prevents him from breaking out. It can be the accumulation effect that lead to massive change (accutane + diet = miracle). I think both of you guys are right. Accutane (as far as I remember his dosage 100mg/day?) is not good in the long run. He took it. It did the job as it supposed to do. Done. Prolong priscription should not be continue. And plus, diet is good anyway, we can not expect glowing skin from eating junk foods everyday. So my point is, if veggie fails, diet fails, whatsoever, the worst scenario, resort to accutane. Try everything we can now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I think I've found something that works for me. My skin hasn't been this clear in a while and I haven't changed my diet and I continue to weight lift and yes masturbate lol. I've ditched all harsh topicals and cleansers that the dermatologist prescribed me. All I do? Just wash my face with water morning and night and then spray my face with salt water. Literally dries the acne out overnight. I have oily skin and the salt water has balanced out my oil production beautifully without overdrying. My skin is starting to have a glow to it again and even out. My blackheads are coming to the surface and just plopping out too its awesome. For anyone with oily skin and acne I recommend trying this. If you have dry skin I'd be careful cause the salt could dry you out too much. For me it's not a problem though.I bought some Dead Sea salt online and just mixed it with boiled water and put it in spray bottle. Salt water is great for your skin too! Only get Sea salt though cause normal salt contains iodine which isn't good for your skin. I recommend staying away from all those chemicals on your skin cause I believe that's what aggravated my acne big time

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry it seems hard to believe (an external treatment can cure an internal problem). But I will buy some and give it a try. It just have been a week long, let wait and see for an another week. I hope it would be a sustainable cure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll let you know in a week. Probably won't be a cure and will stop working like everything else but it's helping calm my skin down at the moment. If this doesn't work I have a dermatologist appointment in a month and I might just say fuck it and ask for accutane. I'm too old to be dealing with this shit and at this point I'm just emotionally drained. I'll just suck it up and deal with the side effects. I bet it's not as bad as some people say

Edited by magicman246810
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stay strong man. The same goes for me. It is a thorn in my side. Speaking of my case, an appoitment with dermatologist will be scheduled at the end of this year (I hope for a sooner timeframe). But are they supposed to give you antibiotics (in mild case) before Accutane (in severe case)? Many of my friends go through antibiotics. Some become clear, some achieve no significant result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shmilyM said:

Stay strong man. The same goes for me. It is a thorn in my side. Speaking of my case, an appoitment with dermatologist will be scheduled at the end of this year (I hope for a sooner timeframe). But are they supposed to give you antibiotics (in mild case) before Accutane (in severe case)? Many of my friends go through antibiotics. Some become clear, some achieve no significant result.

Yeah they do. My next appt they'll probably try and give me antibiotics. If you're going for the first time they'll probably give you some sort of topical as well as oral antibiotics. They tried to put me on antibiotics in the past but I said no and just let my acne run its course for a while cause it got better but now I'm getting older and to the point where I just want it gone 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×