Notifications
Clear all

Does Skin need to re-adjust after accutane?

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/25/2017 9:22 am

Just need a general bit of advice please...

I finished a long term(15months) - low dose(20mg a day) treatment of accutane 10 weeks ago. Treatment went really well. Very little side effects, other than dry skin, dry lips etc and skin was mostly clear for most of those 15months. About 3 weeks after stopping treatment I started getting breakouts. My skin still isnt as oily as before treatment but acne did return. It feels like my pores all started working again at the same time! The breakout first started on my forehead and then moved to my cheeks. The strange thing is, the area that first broke out(forehead), now looks as smooth and clear, as when I was on accutane treatment. Just hoping my cheeks start to clear up and do the same.

My question: After finishing treatment does your skin have a time of re-adjustment before it can clear up? I only ever use Dove soap and cool water to wash and Head and shoulders shampoo but seems I might be a little sensitive to Head and shoulders now...

My Derm has offered a "very" low dose maintenance treatment to control things while my skin re-adjusts but if this is just a normal "re-adjustment" that the skin has after treatment, I would try and let things settle before I consider doing another maintenance..

Really appreciate any advice...many thanks all

MemberMember
(@washer)

Posted : 02/25/2017 9:33 am

Hey.

Look into Benzoyl Peroxide or a product containingazelaic acid such as Skinoren gel. Dont go on Accutane again. It didn't work the first time so there is an extremely huge chance that it won't work the second + the risk of long term side effects.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/25/2017 9:58 am

25 minutes ago, Washer said:

Hey.

Look into Benzoyl Peroxide or a product containingazelaic acid such as Skinoren gel. Dont go on Accutane again. It didn't work the first time so there is an extremely huge chance that it won't work the second + the risk of long term side effects.

Hi Washer,

Thanks for your reply...appreciate it! I've used Panoxyl 10 (Benzoyl Peroxide) on and off for most of the last 25 years, which always seems to help dry the acne up and do a good job but it never tackled the route of the problem, like accutane did....(very oily skin) Happy to give my skin time to settle before trying anything else but didnt know if Derms would normally give accutane users "something to treat breakouts after course finishes".

Do you know if this "adjustment" is normal after treatment?

Thank you again, grateful for your reply.

MemberMember
(@washer)

Posted : 02/25/2017 10:27 am

Accutane didn't work if you are breaking out after ending your treatment. The selling point of Accutane is 100% complete life long remission which very, very few people achieves. Over 90% people who've used Accutane breaks out again after ending their treatment - be it light or severe breakouts.

I used Accutane too 6 years ago and have ever since suffered a lot of horrible long term side effects which I, mostly, have under control now after many years experimenting with diets/supplements and whatever..

Accutane never did anything for my acne. After my treatment I broke out just as bad as before Accutane. I found out that Cerave cleanser, Cerave moisturizer and Skinoren gel got rid of my acne (wish I had known that before starting accutane..!) Also following a diet without dairy and gluten helped me a lot in terms of my skin.

Also Lugols Iodine is amazing for acne and a lot of other skin conditions both used topically and orally. Look into it.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/25/2017 1:27 pm

4 hours ago, Washer said:

Accutane didn't work if you are breaking out after ending your treatment. The selling point of Accutane is 100% complete life long remission which very, very few people achieves. Over 90% people who've used Accutane breaks out again after ending their treatment - be it light or severe breakouts.

I used Accutane too 6 years ago and have ever since suffered a lot of horrible long term side effects which I, mostly, have under control now after many years experimenting with diets/supplements and whatever..

Accutane never did anything for my acne. After my treatment I broke out just as bad as before Accutane. I found out that Cerave cleanser, Cerave moisturizer and Skinoren gel got rid of my acne (wish I had known that before starting accutane..!) Also following a diet without dairy and gluten helped me a lot in terms of my skin.

Also Lugols Iodine is amazing for acne and a lot of other skin conditions both used topically and orally. Look into it.

Hi Washer,

Thanks for your reply!

I never started taking accutane expecting it to be the 100% "cure" but while on treatment, its been the only thing that could control my very oily skin and acne so from that standpoint, it did work.....saying that, if a better, easier and safer option is available, I'm open to looking into it and dont have a closed mind...I've spent 25 years with this issue with my skin, so have tried so many creams and antibiotics...I've lost count.

Thanks for mentioning Lugols. Will look into Lugols Iodine as havent heard much about it, for the treatment of acne but have read, it can irritate, sting and also "cause" acne? After the accutane my skin feels warm, so was thinking of something cooling/soothing.

Please can you confirm how "lugols Iodine" works and how you put it on your skin (do you wash your face with Iugols mixed with water?)

Thanks again for your very helpful replies...appreciate it!

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/26/2017 8:02 am

21 hours ago, Washer said:

Washer just been reading up on Lugols....seems difficult to get here in UK in tablet form but Neem orally seems to do a similar job?

Would appreciate if you could tell me how you use Lugols Iodine to treat your acne? (drops in a glass of drinking water or direct onto skin)

Thank you

MemberMember
(@washer)

Posted : 02/26/2017 8:40 am

I take Lugols Iodine orally, diluting it with 4oz of water yes. Neem won't have the same effects as Lugols by any means - don't bother with it since it won't help your skin.

Iodine more or less cured my acne and other various skin problems (seb derm and other smaller things) and I have only ever taken it orally. I saw positive changes in my skin from day one of Iodine.

and it's not difficult to get to if you are in the UK. Go on amazon.co.uk and buy JCROW Lugols Iodine 5%

also check out my first post on this forum to see what other supplements you should take while supplementing with Iodine. Even if you acne doesn't bother you you should still be taking Iodine esp. since you have been on Accutane which wrecks many things in your mind and body which Iodine heals!

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/26/2017 8:58 am

On 2/26/2017 at 7:40 PM, Washer said:

I take Lugols Iodine orally, diluting it with 4oz of water yes. Neem won't have the same effects as Lugols by any means - don't bother with it since it won't help your skin.

Iodine more or less cured my acne and other various skin problems (seb derm and other smaller things) and I have only ever taken it orally. I saw positive changes in my skin from day one of Iodine.

and it's not difficult to get to if you are in the UK. Go on amazon.co.uk and buy JCROW Lugols Iodine 5%

also check out my first post on this forum to see what other supplements you should take while supplementing with Iodine. Even if you acne doesn't bother you you should still be taking Iodine esp. since you have been on Accutane which wrecks many things in your mind and body which Iodine heals!

Appreciate your reply....many thanks! Do you mind me asking how many drops you put in 4oz water? thanks again

EDIT: I have found this on Amazon UK but its 12% Solution?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A25GCLO/

OR....is this the one you use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-CROWS-Lugols-Solution-Iodine-5/dp/B001PN3BUW/

MemberMember
(@washer)

Posted : 02/26/2017 9:08 am

On 2/26/2017 at 7:58 PM, chippy1 said:

Appreciate your reply....many thanks! Do you mind me asking how many drops you put in 4oz water? thanks again

EDIT: I have found this on Amazon UK but its 12% Solution?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A25GCLO/

OR....is this the one you use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-CROWS-Lugols-Solution-Iodine-5/dp/B001PN3BUW/

Yeah, its the J-Crow one. :) 5%.

Look at the post I made in your other thread. I explain a lot of things about Iodine i.e dosage etc. there..

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/26/2017 9:09 am

Just now, Washer said:
Yeah, its the J-Crow one. :) 5%.

Look at the post I made in your other thread. I explain a lot of things about Iodine i.e dosage etc. there..

Thanks mate...appreciate your help! You've convinced me to give it a go!;) 

Washer liked
MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 01/29/2019 9:01 pm

On 2/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, chippy1 said:

Thanks mate...appreciate your help! You've convinced me to give it a go!;)

Hey Chippy...did this work for you?