Notifications
Clear all

Alcohol & Accutane

MemberMember
(@cisco21)

Posted : 02/24/2017 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have been on accutane for 15 days now and I haven't had any alcohol because my dermatologist said to avoid it. However, I am a college student and drinking/the bars are a big part of my social life. I don't need to drink a ton/binge but I would like to have a couple beers. Would it be okay to drink a couple beers for one night every week? I know a lot of people who have had alcohol on accutane but I don't want to damage my liver badly.... any thoughts on this subject and if moderate drinking is okay once or twice a week

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 02/25/2017 2:58 pm

The advice is to avoid alcohol as much as you can, but it shouldn't be too bad to drink from time to time. I would say you would be fine with a couple of beers once a week - but pay attention if/when you get blood tests done for liver function.
Other members on this forum mention that they still drink (sometimes alot) and they haven't noticed any issues - but as with everything, the effects of accutane vary from person to person.

I'm currently one month in on my accutane treatment and I haven't had any alcohol so far - I figure I can go 3-6 months without alcohol!
I just drink other stuff and if people really push I say I'm on medication and it would mess up my liver - why not be honest!

Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@cisco21)

Posted : 02/25/2017 8:57 pm

thanks for the response, i am gonna have a couple one night and see how i feel etc...hows your first month going?

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 02/26/2017 4:01 am

It was a rough first month but at the moment my skin has never been better! Clear of acne and my face is nice and dry (free from oil).
Not sure if this is "it" or if I still have more breakouts in store...

I hope you can have some drinks without any trouble, would suck to go 6 months or so without any partying when you're in college!
(Although the long term results of accutane will be worth the effort.)

MemberMember
(@cisco21)

Posted : 02/26/2017 7:44 pm

thats good to hear, i am in the same boat. I am coming up on 20 days and my skin has been pimple free, and really dry. I don't have to worry about oil, what i eat or breaking out. Its worked so fast, i had a small initial breakout like 7 days in but nothing but. Did you break out at all?

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 02/27/2017 12:34 am

Yes, week 3 I broke out terribly with acne I've never experienced before. Wasn't too painful, just acne covering my entire face. My face was pouring out oil too.

It says on Acne.org's "Accutane" information pagethat 30% of people experience worse acne in the first month (the "initial breakout") so with luck you are one of the ones to miss out!
Like you, I now don't have to worry about being so careful with diet or oil & breaking out at the moment - its fantastic!

MemberMember
(@cisco21)

Posted : 02/27/2017 8:42 pm

I haven't had dry skin/less worrying in almost 3 years crazy....I have still been washing my face every morning and night because I don't want to jinx it or break out... have you continued your same face wash/treatment routine? I would like to skip washing in the morning but don't want to break out. Also have you noticed if your remarks are starting to fade?? if you have hyper hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 02/27/2017 10:29 pm

In following with the general advice on here, I have stopped my previous routine as I was worried it would be too harsh on my skin with accutane - I do notice my skin seems a lot thinner now. I used to use a daily face wash with Salicylic acid, followed with Benzoyl Peroxide cream over my face.
I occasionally use Benzoyl Peroxide cream, mostly as a spot treatment, especially when my acne flared up and I ended up using it for a few days all over my face to calm it down. I stopped doing this about a week ago and I'm just waiting to see what may happen - if anything.
I have no problems with red marks or hyperpigmentation. Just really nasty deep gouged acne scarring.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 02/28/2017 8:55 pm

Repairing Long Term Damage from Accutane = can cause low libido, ED and impotence long term(years) or be permanent!!