Notifications
Clear all

A Wake Up Call - My Dehydrated Skin Log

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 02/23/2017 5:54 am

I hadn't logged in to acne.org for a few months since my acne had subsided using a combination of an extreme diet overhaul and the modified caveman regimen (you can read about this further here if you would like more detail: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/356222-i-finally-healed-my-acne-with-pictures/#comment-3552807

Since logging back in I have read through my old caveman regimen log, and seen a video post by a YouTuber who's advice I have trusted throughout my journey with acne. She discusses combatting dehydrating skin, and how dehydrated skin is a very common cause of acne, especially in those who falsely believe they have oily skin due to the over-use of drying acne cleansers/face washes and treatments:

Since I stopped the caveman regimen I slowly reintroduced using a warm washcloth to gently wipe my skin, toning with a 50/50 diluted ACV/water toner and moisturizing with 2 drops of grapeseed oil. Increasingly I have been doing this regimen more and more - from one or twice a month to maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I think I have been slipping back into my old mentality of the more skincare = the better the skin.

I've decided that this regimen may in fact be too harsh for my skin. The more I use the washcloth to exfoliate and the stronger I make my ACV toner, the dryer my skin feels. I no longer have acne but I can often see a redness like rosacea on my cheeks, I am now wondering if this is caused by irritation from the drying components in my skincare routine.

From today I will stop using the washcloth all together, washing my face only with luke-warm water and my hands and allowing it to air dry. I will use my toner diluted 20/80 ACV to water and only once a week. I will use grapeseed oil to moisturise as usual and moisturise even on days when I am not washing my face.

This is an experiment to see how my skin responds for 30 days and I will log any progress here.

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 02/25/2017 8:55 am

It's been a week since I started following this regimen. I'm seeing no negative results so far.

I've splashed my face with water once, and today I used the 20/80 dilution ACV toner. I'd ideally like to experiment switching this out with rosewater but can't find any good quality/relatively cheap brands in the UK?

I am moisturising with oil every day. I use 2 or 3 drops, usually concentrating on the area around my nose and my forehead. Sometimes I will apply another drop to the area around my eyes at night time - In the interest of age prevention I hope?

I've not had any new pimples, and I've noticed that two small scabs I had from picking above my lip have finally healed, so that's something!

Over the next few weeks I'll be looking out for increased softness and none of that faint red rash on my cheeks. Fingers crossed!

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:37 am

The pores in my nose have always been very open with little black/grey dots. I believe this is hereditary and I've read that it may just be sebaceous filaments as opposed to a nose covered in blackheads. It's not something that has bothered me that much but since I have been diligently applying oil and cut down on my drying skincare routine I have noticed that these pores have shrunk down and become much less noticeable!

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/07/2017 5:14 am

I've splashed luke warm water on my face twice since I started this regimen. I haven't exfoliated once and everything seems to be going well.I've had a cold for the past week or so, thus blowing my nose constantly and have that tell-tale dry red bit around my nostrils but I'm hoping that will go away by itself over time without me having to scrub it off.

I had one minor pimple forming on my right cheek after a night of heavy drinking, but I applied my oil as usual and it went away completely before it turned into a full blown spot.

I am still experiencing general dryness. My skin eats up my facial oil in minutes no matter how much I apply! Because of this I am thinking about experimenting with a very basic DIY cold cream recipe using my usual grapeseed oil, beeswax, a few drops of lavender oil and borax as a natural preservative. I feel like I might need something more emulsive to apply to my dry areas. Will report back soon.

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/13/2017 4:45 am

This regimen has been going great. I've actually quit using the ACV all together. Now I just wet a cotton pad in luke warm water and gently swipe it over my face if I feel like I need 'exfoliation' - no more than 3 times a week.

My overall skin texture has improved greatly. I am no longer seeing those little rosacea bumps and I am not experiencing the 'dead skin mask' issue that I had with the caveman regimen. I am still applying oil every day and paying special attention to my nose which seems to drink it up. I have even found that applying the oil over my slightly damp skin moisturises even better.

I am going away on holiday in April and I am already excited to pack my very minimal skincare routine! I used to spend so much time decanting treatments and creams into little bottles. Fingers crossed that this progress keeps up. May post some new photos soon.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/13/2017 10:55 am

I burned my face with ACV when I put it in a clay mask. My skin was pulsating and stinging a bit but I thought that it's a good sign. When I took it off I was red as a tomato and it's been about a week now but the area between my right eye and my ear is still red.

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/14/2017 7:58 am

20 hours ago, WaterFountain said:

I burned my face with ACV when I put it in a clay mask. My skin was pulsating and stinging a bit but I thought that it's a good sign. When I took it off I was red as a tomato and it's been about a week now but the area between my right eye and my ear is still red.

Oh no that's awful! ACV is definitely an extremely strong treatment. I've only ever had success with it very diluted as a toner or as a direct spot treatment applied with a cotton bud to active pimples. It was particularly helpful when I used a cupful in my bathtub was suffering bouts of stress-induced eczema.

I think you have to be quite careful with mixing something so acidic with anything else as it can very easily cause a chemical reaction that can burn. Have you tried using honey or oatmeal to calm the irritation? Honey (particularly raw and manuka honey) is very healing for the skin. Also you can cook some oatmeal and wait for it to cool and apply it as a face mask. It's very soothing!

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/14/2017 2:16 pm

6 hours ago, JLopez said:
Oh no that's awful! ACV is definitely an extremely strong treatment. I've only ever had success with it very diluted as a toner or as a direct spot treatment applied with a cotton bud to active pimples. It was particularly helpful when I used a cupful in my bathtub was suffering bouts of stress-induced eczema.

I think you have to be quite careful with mixing something so acidic with anything else as it can very easily cause a chemical reaction that can burn. Have you tried using honey or oatmeal to calm the irritation? Honey (particularly raw and manuka honey) is very healing for the skin. Also you can cook some oatmeal and wait for it to cool and apply it as a face mask. It's very soothing!

I slept with Manuka honey on my face and it calmed my skin down a bit, but the burned skin is still present, almost 10 days later

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/16/2017 7:04 am

Had a very slight breakout on my right cheek. Just 3 or 4 little red dots. Putting it down to either quitting the ACV toner or the bowl of porridge I had at a friends house (I've been avoiding porridge and all grains for about 9 months.)

So no more porridge for me and I'm going to try and reintroduce the mild ACV toner every few days and see where that gets me.