Notifications
Clear all

Eating Liver for Acne

MemberMember
(@bradmanda)

Posted : 02/21/2017 8:15 am

So, I just wanted to chime in and say that I've had great results with adding in food-based forms of retinol (vitamin a) into my diet.

I'm 29, have had acne since I was 12. Essentially, cutting out cow dairy in all its forms has been the most impactful for my skin and acne situation. I can eat sheep and goats' cheeses and yogurts with generally no noticeable issues. In addition to eliminating hair and skincare products that were aggravating my acne, the more red, raised spots don't appear if I follow these key preventative measures.

However, I still have really bumpy, congested skin. On my forehead, I have quite a lot of milia (those small round and white balls that live under the skin) as well as large pores that like to fill up with crap. Since 2015-ish I've also had a chicken skin-thing going on my neck - bumpy skin that hadn't been there previously.

So, January 2017 rolls around - I start to think back to the brief times that I truly had clear (or almost clear) skin. One time was in college which coincided with taking a Costco fish oil supplement (I believe it was a mix of different fish oils). I also started to read about the benefits (and precautions) of taking cod liver oil and vitamin a in general. I started taking Norwegian Naturals liquid cod liver oil, 2 teaspoons a day. The appearance of my skin improved, and some lingering back acne went away. I also decided to cautiously start eating beef liver, about 100-150 g cooked in one meal, twice a week.

Shortly after adding the liver into my diet (which was about one month after starting the CLO), a lot of the milia on my forehead began to push out. There was also a purge of hard bumps that had been under my chin and around my mouth area. One longtime milia/hardened pocket of crap on my forehead, dear old frenemy, also came out. The chicken skin on my neck disappeared.

I understand that vitamin a toxicity, or merely taking too much, is a real issue. But, given my skin condition, my armchair health investigations have led me to believe that I have problems with keratinization and cell turnover, which seems to be the case for many acne sufferers. These vitamin a-rich foods appear to have a positive effect on my skin.

Side note: I also see an esthetician who manually extracts my acne and clogged pores. This does wonders, too. I'm interested in seeing in a month how much my skin will be in need of extraction.

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 03/15/2017 11:31 am

Hey thank you for your information!
What I do get is clogged pores too. And I've figured that's because of my slow cell turnover rate also!
All I believe in is vitamin a now, including topical and oral.

I always thinking is there any other workaround for it?
I mean using topical vitamin a need to avoid the sun, which is not totally logical for a person who enjoy the sun and out doors activities.
The oral one sounds more reasonable to me but we still needed to rely on it.

Does doing exercise, improving metabolic and increase blood circulation would do the trick? I bet it is limited.
I recently looking into keeping skin hydrated with water(not oil) , so it could run it course on it's own good way, don't need any other helping hand, you know what i'm saying?
And then, I stumbled across using Vaseline, which proven that the ingredients helps epidermal to regrowth, yet it is totally non-comedogenic, it also seal in moisture, sounds too good to be true. Anyways, I tried, and I broke out the next few days. And it seems that it gave me more clogged pores.
I'm just confused that if it's actually working.

Because you tend to breakout or purging whiteheads too while using Vitamin A. So would Vaseline? in a different way that we've overlooked?

Haha, I'm sorry for going off your log. But I just want to hear your opinion.

I'm taking vitamin a and d within RDA and using Differin at the moment.
Thought of eating liver but too messy. I'd order food with liver in the restaurant though.

Hope you're getting clear in no time, looking forward to hear from you.