Notifications
Clear all

Closed comedones are getting completely out of control 🙁

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 02/19/2017 3:09 am

Can someone please help me :( I've been using differin gel for 5 weeks and am deciding to stop it. I used it last year and did not experience what I am now- intensely oily skin (yet tightness after washing and dry patches) with open pores all over my forehead and near my nose, pimples that refuse to heal completely and just a general unhealthy appearance besides the initial breakout. I have comedones all over my chin, sides of face and now, my forehead. I don't know what's caused the flare up, but in the last 3 months I've changed products, tried chemical peels, and now differin so I'm sure my skin is confused and freaking out. I'm concerned the peels and then the differin have damaged my skins barrier and so I want to "go natural" and be a bit kinder to it, but I'm so tempted to aggressively exfoliate these clogged pores. I have a hormonal imbalance which is a huge factor, and I'm in the process of controlling that naturally through lifestyle and excersise.  At the moment I use cetaphil oily skin cleanser, simple light hydrating moisteriser and differin which I will be stopping and then using witch hazel as a toner. I also use la roche posay 50 spf. Feeling these tiny bumps and seeing them in harsh lighting makes me want to cry, I'm honestly so at the end of my tether here I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm trying to stay away from harsh topicals because I've put my poor skin through so much. Has anyone had success with sea salt water, steaming, just exfoliating or a DIY mask? 

MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 06/30/2017 12:10 pm

I know this is from Feb. and you may have already cleared yourself, but maybe this can help others. I broke out with the most SEVERE closed comedone case i've ever seen about 2 months ago. I've been using tretinoin, spironolactone and a rx antibiotic cream. I've only been using them for roughly 3 weeks (the spiro i only started last week) and my face was just getting worse and worse. I know that it may just be the initial breakout, but i've been so depressed over it and not leaving the house. I just did a salt water clense/toner because i read about it and it hit me..I grew up and live in florida and my skin was always sooo nice after long days at the beach swimming. Anyways, its been about half an hour since i did it and I kid you not, about 75% of the bumpy areas I had, are now smooth. I could cry right now. I've been thinking about my acne 24/7 and loosing sleep over it..and now it's so much better just after 1 thing i did! I still have a lot of PIH and redness, but will gladly deal with that compared to what i've had. Even my scabs are healing faster. I will continue to do this twice a day until i'm clear.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/30/2017 1:04 pm

Get your diet balanced to an acne friendly one and change hygene.dont use anything bar warm water and use dry clean towel to pat dry.drink lots of water,only use something like bp on active spots.

you cant even eat fast food,frys or anything sweet till you get a balanced diet and skin in order,then you can gradualy add things and watch fir reactions,add,remove things when you know what your skins up to.

bit daunting at first,trust me when i thought that i needed to drink water every day,now i down like 5 pints + daily.

it works,these whiteheads are reactions to something you put in your body or on your skin.
:)

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 06/30/2017 7:37 pm

7 hours ago, jdsu16 said:

I know this is from Feb. and you may have already cleared yourself, but maybe this can help others. I broke out with the most SEVERE closed comedone case i've ever seen about 2 months ago. I've been using tretinoin, spironolactone and a rx antibiotic cream. I've only been using them for roughly 3 weeks (the spiro i only started last week) and my face was just getting worse and worse. I know that it may just be the initial breakout, but i've been so depressed over it and not leaving the house. I just did a salt water clense/toner because i read about it and it hit me..I grew up and live in florida and my skin was always sooo nice after long days at the beach swimming. Anyways, its been about half an hour since i did it and I kid you not, about 75% of the bumpy areas I had, are now smooth. I could cry right now. I've been thinking about my acne 24/7 and loosing sleep over it..and now it's so much better just after 1 thing i did! I still have a lot of PIH and redness, but will gladly deal with that compared to what i've had. Even my scabs are healing faster. I will continue to do this twice a day until i'm clear. 

I'm so glad you found success! I actually ended up starting the acne org regimen in May and despite the fact most of my closed comedones purged and became inflamed, my skin feels a bit smoother now, especially my forehead (so hopefully it's working.) But yes I have heard great things about salt water and when summer comes back around I'm going to go to the beach all the time! Are you still using tretinoin and spiro? I'm going to stick it out with the regimen because I'm in wk 8 and think I'm seeing positive results, but I was also looking into spiro as a back up. I hope sea salt continues to work for you! It'd be sooo nice if I could eventually give up the chemicals for a natural solution.

6 hours ago, Quadboy said:

Get your diet balanced to an acne friendly one and change hygene.dont use anything bar warm water and use dry clean towel to pat dry.drink lots of water,only use something like bp on active spots.

you cant even eat fast food,frys or anything sweet till you get a balanced diet and skin in order,then you can gradualy add things and watch fir reactions,add,remove things when you know what your skins up to.

bit daunting at first,trust me when i thought that i needed to drink water every day,now i down like 5 pints + daily.

it works,these whiteheads are reactions to something you put in your body or on your skin.
:)

The clogged pores have thankfully lessened quite a lot since I've started the acne org regimen but yes I definitely agree with the diet. I eat quite clean, drink loads of water and green tea as well as wash gently and change pillow cases etc. At the time I posted this in Feb, I'd just gotten back from a music festival where I'd slept in makeup, drank a lot of alcohol and got like 3 hours sleep a day so definitely a terrible mix. Thanks for your suggestions! 

MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 07/03/2017 4:22 pm

On 6/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, T1901 said:
I'm so glad you found success! I actually ended up starting the acne org regimen in May and despite the fact most of my closed comedones purged and became inflamed, my skin feels a bit smoother now, especially my forehead (so hopefully it's working.) But yes I have heard great things about salt water and when summer comes back around I'm going to go to the beach all the time! Are you still using tretinoin and spiro? I'm going to stick it out with the regimen because I'm in wk 8 and think I'm seeing positive results, but I was also looking into spiro as a back up. I hope sea salt continues to work for you! It'd be sooo nice if I could eventually give up the chemicals for a natural solution. The clogged pores have thankfully lessened quite a lot since I've started the acne org regimen but yes I definitely agree with the diet. I eat quite clean, drink loads of water and green tea as well as wash gently and change pillow cases etc. At the time I posted this in Feb, I'd just gotten back from a music festival where I'd slept in makeup, drank a lot of alcohol and got like 3 hours sleep a day so definitely a terrible mix. Thanks for your suggestions! 

I've been continuing with the sea salt daily and unfortunately, I think it was just one of those "better skin day" flukes. I haven't seen any drastic improvement like I did the first day. My skin is so up & down even between morning/night. I am still taking the Spiro (i'm going into my 2nd week right now) and also the tretinoin that i try to do as often as I can..but my face has been so raw and dry everyday so i'm trying to cool it with the chemicals for a bit until it can heal a little. I haven't noticed any change besides my pores looking more congested (if that was even possible) from the meds and i'm hoping that is just part of the purge process. From my understanding, both meds are slow to see any improvement so i'm really trying to be patient. My next step is accutane if this regimen doesn't work. Fingers crossed it does! Spiro is supposedly a great option if your acne is hormone related! I'm not 100% sure if mine is, but I have a strong feeling my mirena messed me up. That sucker is coming out next week! I'm glad the acne.org regimen is starting to work for you! I honestly haven't even looked into it right now because of all the things i'm putting on/in my body

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 07/04/2017 4:28 pm

23 hours ago, jdsu16 said:
I've been continuing with the sea salt daily and unfortunately, I think it was just one of those "better skin day" flukes. I haven't seen any drastic improvement like I did the first day. My skin is so up & down even between morning/night. I am still taking the Spiro (i'm going into my 2nd week right now) and also the tretinoin that i try to do as often as I can..but my face has been so raw and dry everyday so i'm trying to cool it with the chemicals for a bit until it can heal a little. I haven't noticed any change besides my pores looking more congested (if that was even possible) from the meds and i'm hoping that is just part of the purge process. From my understanding, both meds are slow to see any improvement so i'm really trying to be patient. My next step is accutane if this regimen doesn't work. Fingers crossed it does! Spiro is supposedly a great option if your acne is hormone related! I'm not 100% sure if mine is, but I have a strong feeling my mirena messed me up. That sucker is coming out next week! I'm glad the acne.org regimen is starting to work for you! I honestly haven't even looked into it right now because of all the things i'm putting on/in my body

Aw damn! I know what you mean though, some days my skin looks better than others. I've also heard that spiro takes a long time and the whole gets worse before it gets better thing. Maybe start every second day with the tretinoin and just wash gently? I'm sure you're already doing those things anyway, but I used Differin last year, a weaker retinoid, which helped a lot looking back but after trying it again in January, it didn't work the same for some reason. Definitely stick it out with spiro and the tretinoin before accutane! I was so, so close to going on it, had the scripts and all, but chickened out and realised that as my acne is hormonal, relapse from accutane is higher I believe. Is your acne mostly on the lower half of your face? Mine is, like a beard of acne haha, it sucksss. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Mirena so hopefully taking it out helps you! Well I'm on wk 9 of the regimen and my face definitely feels so much smoother without the pesky bumps but I'm considering going on Diane 35 in a few weeks to stop hormonal cystic acne. I have pcos and have stuck to the natural way but I'm just so sick of this! 

MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 07/04/2017 9:23 pm

4 hours ago, T1901 said:
On 7/3/2017 at 2:22 PM, jdsu16 said:

Aw damn! I know what you mean though, some days my skin looks better than others. I've also heard that spiro takes a long time and the whole gets worse before it gets better thing. Maybe start every second day with the tretinoin and just wash gently? I'm sure you're already doing those things anyway, but I used Differin last year, a weaker retinoid, which helped a lot looking back but after trying it again in January, it didn't work the same for some reason. Definitely stick it out with spiro and the tretinoin before accutane! I was so, so close to going on it, had the scripts and all, but chickened out and realised that as my acne is hormonal, relapse from accutane is higher I believe. Is your acne mostly on the lower half of your face? Mine is, like a beard of acne haha, it sucksss. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Mirena so hopefully taking it out helps you! Well I'm on wk 9 of the regimen and my face definitely feels so much smoother without the pesky bumps but I'm considering going on Diane 35 in a few weeks to stop hormonal cystic acne. I have pcos and have stuck to the natural way but I'm just so sick of this! 

I am definitely trying to be as patient as I can be! I also have a acne beard that's where it all is and also going down onto my neck. 99% of it is all closed comedones and that's eaxactly what I had as a teen , but it was even all over my forehead back then..Now my pores just look congested up there and i'm assuing it's from the meds. Before today (i'm going into week 2 right now) I hadnt really noticed any side effects besides the frequent peeing and the fact that i've dropped 5lbs so far. But today, I had a couple of bouts of dizziness and i've had the worst ice pick headache since last night and i'm wondering if it's related. I bought a blood pressure cuff today just to keep an eye on it since I already run so low. That was my major concern with the med originally