Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone results with pics

MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 02/18/2017 12:09 am

I have been on spiro for 3 months and have been very pleased with the results.  Thought I would share how the process has been.  Would also like to add my acne was not cystic.  I just had a lot of regular papules coming up every other day, just on the lower third of my face.  

I started breaking out for the first time ever last summer at 33 years old.  I couldn't clear it despite using tea tree oil and then eventually an acne treatment by Rodan and Fields.  Nothing was solving the problem and I would wind up with scabs all over since the topical treatments are so drying and of course I would pop the zits.  

After a hormonal blood panel was indicative of PCOS,  headed to the derm as suggested because I'm not a candidate for birth control.  She confirmed that the acne was definitely following a hormonal pattern and said Spiro she pretty much the best thing they have.  She also prescribed an antibiotic cream that I have barely used.  I found it irritating.  

Only side effects were an initial outbreak a couple weeks in but probably the worst week 3.  That's when I actually did have some cysts and wow those take weeks to go back down.  I was thirsty and had dry lips the first few days but that went away.  Another annoying side effect were extremely sore and slightly enlarged breasts.  That went away after a few weeks but will come back like 10 days before that time of the month.  I had some light mid cycle spotting but the past two periods were not nearly as heavy as what they used to be.  

I think they were going  check potassium levels after 6 months or something since the drug is potassium sparing, but she expects them to be fine.  She said The hope is for me to come off this med in 6 or 9 months and hopefully the body has adjusted itself.   I'm skeptical about that but we will see.  

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 02/19/2017 8:36 am

You look beautiful!!! Very impressive results!
6 months is a good amount of time...since you know the source of your acne is hormonally based and you can't take the Spiro forever, it would probably be a good idea to look into what long-term adjustments you could make to help balance your hormones in preparation for when you come off of it.
Bravo! Congrats!
Please, keep us posted!

DeLovely and svuchic liked
MemberMember
(@viiixen)

Posted : 02/22/2017 3:00 pm

glad its working for you. i wouldnt go on spiro due to side effects. trying to see a naturopath and its been 1 week on supplements to try to get my digestive system regulated and hopefully that will push out the toxins thats causing the acne. taking dong quai liquid form by standard process to balance female hormones.. spiro has always been on my mind but im trying to clear acne from within with the root cause naturally.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/22/2017 3:33 pm

your skin looks great! i am so happy for you! i have been on spiro for over 4 years and its been a total godsend for me. such great stuff!

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/22/2017 3:37 pm

You were 33 last summer!!!????? I would ID you for alcohol, and then not believe the ID!

Was there something that you changed or that changed last summer that could have caused it? Find the solution, find the cure!

I can't even see anything, but:

Have you tried changing your diet? Cutting out dairy, gluten, and sugars can help, maybe even eggs. Is there some added stress in your life? Try yoga or meditating. Try to sleep well, also.

Good luck with everything!

MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 03/06/2017 11:39 am

On 2/22/2017 at 1:00 PM, viiixen said:

glad its working for you. i wouldnt go on spiro due to side effects. trying to see a naturopath and its been 1 week on supplements to try to get my digestive system regulated and hopefully that will push out the toxins thats causing the acne. taking dong quai liquid form by standard process to balance female hormones.. spiro has always been on my mind but im trying to clear acne from within with the root cause naturally.

I don't blame you for going to find a more natural solution. I was really nervous starting a medication. I was just not finding a solution otherwise. Would love to know if you find something that works for you!

On 2/22/2017 at 1:37 PM, AlexxelA said:

You were 33 last summer!!!????? I would ID you for alcohol, and then not believe the ID!

Was there something that you changed or that changed last summer that could have caused it? Find the solution, find the cure!

I can't even see anything, but:

Have you tried changing your diet? Cutting out dairy, gluten, and sugars can help, maybe even eggs. Is there some added stress in your life? Try yoga or meditating. Try to sleep well, also.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for your kind reply! Yes I'm 34 now! I do have some gray hairs coming to prove it! I have been trying to figure out what triggered what hormone inbalance. The only thing would be I had been working out consistently for 6 months prior and cleaning up the diet a little. I lost 8 lb. That should help hormones not mess them up! I tried cutting out dairy which didn't make a difference. If I get off the spiro later I might have to try the keto diet which is supposed To help with PCOS.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:33 PM, tracy521 said:

your skin looks great! i am so happy for you! i have been on spiro for over 4 years and its been a total godsend for me. such great stuff!

Thank you! Have they changed your dosage with time, or have you been taking the same amount for 4 years?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 03/06/2017 11:55 am

On 2/19/2017 at 6:36 AM, TheBean said:

You look beautiful!!! Very impressive results!
6 months is a good amount of time...since you know the source of your acne is hormonally based and you can't take the Spiro forever, it would probably be a good idea to look into what long-term adjustments you could make to help balance your hormones in preparation for when you come off of it.
Bravo! Congrats!
Please, keep us posted!

Thanks I will keep this board posted on any changes and how my skin holds up if I discontinue the medication!

TheBean liked
MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/08/2017 4:11 pm

i've been taking the same dose the entire time. i take 100mg total so i take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night.
i also tried the diet route for a good while but my skin only got worse. once i got on spiro and finally cleared up it was so nice to go back to eating like a normal person.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 03/08/2017 8:18 pm

4 hours ago, tracy521 said:

i've been taking the same dose the entire time. i take 100mg total so i take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night.
i also tried the diet route for a good while but my skin only got worse. once i got on spiro and finally cleared up it was so nice to go back to eating like a normal person.

Amen to that. I have read a lot about people going on these super strict diets. Essentially eliminating everything! I don't know how you can live like that long term.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/09/2017 9:53 am

13 hours ago, svuchic said:
17 hours ago, tracy521 said:

Amen to that.  I have read a lot about people going on these super strict diets.  Essentially eliminating everything!  I don't know how you can live like that long term.  

agreed its not something one can do long term. you need to live your life and enjoy it! i tried so many different diets over the years and nothing worked it was such a waste of my time. i enjoy my life now and eat whatever i want(in moderation). by the way you are really pretty. i hope that your skin just gets better and better. :)

svuchic and DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 03/11/2017 10:28 pm

On 3/9/2017 at 7:53 AM, tracy521 said:
agreed its not something one can do long term. you need to live your life and enjoy it! i tried so many different diets over the years and nothing worked it was such a waste of my time. i enjoy my life now and eat whatever i want(in moderation). by the way you are really pretty. i hope that your skin just gets better and better. :)

Thank you I hope so too.  This past week I actually had a little bit of a break out.  Like 3 or 4 small ones and I started getting really worried again.  I'm going to see what happens.  If it gets worse I might ask for my dose to be increased.  

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/14/2017 9:58 am

ugh i hope those breakouts are starting to clear up now. if you dont mind me asking what dose are you on now? i think spiro works the best taking 100-200mg a day.

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 03/22/2017 8:40 am

On 2/22/2017 at 3:00 PM, viiixen said:

glad its working for you.  i wouldnt go on spiro due to side effects.  trying to see a naturopath and its been 1 week on supplements to try to get my digestive system regulated and hopefully that will push out the toxins thats causing the acne.  taking dong quai liquid form by standard process to balance female hormones.. spiro has always been on my mind but im trying to clear acne from within with the root cause naturally.

I second this! I went this route also and my skin is now acne free. I'm also 34 years old and I know how bad it sucks to have acne at any age let alone in adulthood. 

I don't blame you for taking the Spiro though I was on Yasmin for quite a few years until my hormones went crazy, and I had to come off of it (thyroid issues). Hormonal acne is such a pain. The bc kept me clear but my health was deteriorating. I took yasmin for 6 years. My acne started later in life at 27. 

My personal life and mental health were suffering from the breakouts which got much much worse after coming off the bc. But once I found a well respected naturopath...everything changed. My energy levels, skin, hair, etc. I know pcos has some similar symptoms as hypothyroidism. The naturopath ran diagnostic tests and we found all the underlying causes of not just my acne, but of my thyroid issues too. Things such as pancreatic insufficiency, vitamin deficiencies, digestive issues were causing my problems.

But everyone is different so it's important to find out the root of your PCOS. Which will in turn resolve your acne issues.  If you can find a naturopath or functional medicine doctor it would benefit you. Look into your options.

Don't listen to everything docs tell you because you really need to be your own health advocate nowadays. Do your research. Know the facts. I've had doctors lie straight to my face before...just because they didn't think I knew any better. Not trying to bash docs here, there are some really good ones out there! But you, yourself said you're skeptical.... Fingers crossed that the doc is right in your case and things will adjust in the next 6-9 months! Good luck :D

Btw you're beautiful !

svuchic liked
MemberMember
(@viiixen)

Posted : 03/23/2017 12:36 am

15 hours ago, Yola4 said:

I second this! I went this route also and my skin is now acne free. I'm also 34 years old and I know how bad it sucks to have acne at any age let alone in adulthood. 

I don't blame you for taking the Spiro though I was on Yasmin for quite a few years until my hormones went crazy, and I had to come off of it (thyroid issues). Hormonal acne is such a pain. The bc kept me clear but my health was deteriorating. I took yasmin for 6 years. My acne started later in life at 27. 

My personal life and mental health were suffering from the breakouts which got much much worse after coming off the bc. But once I found a well respected naturopath...everything changed. My energy levels, skin, hair, etc. I know pcos has some similar symptoms as hypothyroidism. The naturopath ran diagnostic tests and we found all the underlying causes of not just my acne, but of my thyroid issues too. Things such as pancreatic insufficiency, vitamin deficiencies, digestive issues were causing my problems.

But everyone is different so it's important to find out the root of your PCOS. Which will in turn resolve your acne issues.  If you can find a naturopath or functional medicine doctor it would benefit you. Look into your options.

Don't listen to everything docs tell you because you really need to be your own health advocate nowadays. Do your research. Know the facts. I've had doctors lie straight to my face before...just because they didn't think I knew any better. Not trying to bash docs here, there are some really good ones out there! But you, yourself said you're skeptical.... Fingers crossed that the doc is right in your case and things will adjust in the next 6-9 months! Good luck :D

Btw you're beautiful !

Unfortunately, my naturopath didnt really run diagnostic tests on me (which i was expecting)  i told her i wanted my hormones tested and she had a saliva kit that would cost me $400 however, she didnt seem very knowledgable on that end.  I am taking 6 different supplements at the moment and she put me on a diet plan...  How long was it before you noticed results?  I paid for a 12 visit plan ($800+) not including my supplements and i dont know if i found the right naturopath.  please give me more info with your naturopath/experience!

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 03/26/2017 4:08 pm

On 3/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, viiixen said:
Unfortunately, my naturopath didnt really run diagnostic tests on me (which i was expecting) i told her i wanted my hormones tested and she had a saliva kit that would cost me $400 however, she didnt seem very knowledgable on that end. I am taking 6 different supplements at the moment and she put me on a diet plan... How long was it before you noticed results? I paid for a 12 visit plan ($800+) not including my supplements and i dont know if i found the right naturopath. please give me more info with your naturopath/experience!

Hey! I saw results in 2 months. I think it's very important to run diagnostic tests because you really need to see what your underlying issues are. Everything is connected. But your naturopath should know what tests to run based on your concerns/health issues. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll pm you later when I get off work.

MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 03/26/2017 10:20 pm

On 3/14/2017 at 7:58 AM, tracy521 said:

ugh i hope those breakouts are starting to clear up now. if you dont mind me asking what dose are you on now? i think spiro works the best taking 100-200mg a day. 

My skin has cleared back up now, knock on wood!  Still on 50 mg daily.  I added a multi vitamin that contains vitamin D3  and zinc into my daily regimen.  I don't know if it helped clear me but couldn't hurt.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:40 AM, Yola4 said:

Btw you're beautiful !

So true.  Sometimes I question these doctors and their knowledge.  I have been taking a multi vitamin the past couple weeks in addition to the spiro.  Nobody offered any in depth blood work for me.  Only had the most basic hormonal blood panel done.  I am so glad that you found a solution to your acne and discovered the underlying issues causing it!

Yola4 liked
MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 03/28/2017 4:52 pm

I'm glad your skin cleared up! I take a woman's one a day chewy gummy for my multivitamin..I am more likely to take it everyday because it's like candy! I hope you continue to stay acnefree and make sure to keep us updated!

svuchic liked
MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 06/27/2017 4:49 pm

I hope this drug works for me! I was just started on it today for a (what i consider severe) breakout of closed comedones all over my cheeks/jaw and neck. Did you have any experience with those? I'm 27 and had pretty clear skin until a month ago 

svuchic liked
MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 07/03/2017 2:13 am

I did have some small clogged pores and that's where it all started. Most of those are gone and getting facials helps since they can be lanced. There is a cream I was prescribed but the pharmacist said redness and pealing are common with it. It is sitting in my medicine cabinet because my skin only has like 3 of those little clogged pores currently so it's not worth the irritation from that cream right now!

MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 07/03/2017 4:31 pm

14 hours ago, svuchic said:

I did have some small clogged pores and that's where it all started. Most of those are gone and getting facials helps since they can be lanced. There is a cream I was prescribed but the pharmacist said redness and pealing are common with it. It is sitting in my medicine cabinet because my skin only has like 3 of those little clogged pores currently so it's not worth the irritation from that cream right now!

Well that's encouraging! I am also using tretinoin cream in combination with the spiro, and it can be quite irritating. I also started on the pill a month ago since I was pretty convinced it's hormonal. I'm going into week 2 of my spiro right now and haven't noticed any side effects yet or any clearing, but I know it's still very early. May I ask when you started to notice your face clearing?

MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 07/04/2017 12:02 am

It took a good month! The first 3 or 4 weeks my skin actually got worse! Everything trapped under my skin came up And I even got a couple small cystic ones. You have to give it time. The stuff is a miracle drug and I'm still only taking 50 mg

MemberMember
(@264857_1443947842)

Posted : 05/19/2018 9:18 pm

I've been on spironolactone for 1 month now & so far has not seen my acne getting better. I have cystic acne and I feel it's just been getting worse & my dermatologist said to hang on for 3 months. It's really depressing but I hope my skin clears out by the 3rd month like yours :\