MemberMember
(@ava-b-z)

Posted : 02/18/2017 12:01 am

i just can't stop myself

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 02/21/2017 8:47 pm

firstly cut your nails short.

then keep time in front of the mirror to a minimum.

i myself in the past have put plasters over my index finders as a reminder not to touch my skin, works for a bit but really its all about willpower and realising that when you pick, your making things worse not better.

Ava B-Z liked
MemberMember
(@nini1989)

Posted : 02/25/2017 11:24 am

I'm the worst picker I've ever heard of if I can I will sit in front of a mirror and pick all day. I'm very ocd about it I have scabs and scars all over my face. I'm always reading self help articles and books for it one thing that has been helping me is avoiding mirrors. I cover them or turn them around. I also avoid touching my face with my bare hands. When I wash it I used washcloths. When I put lotion and makeup on I use cotton balls, brushes, and sponges. I have to admit, I still pick when I get a chance because my acne is painful and itchy but, I'm trying my hardest to stop. I also keep my nails short...hope this helps.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/06/2017 9:31 pm

Some things i have found to help, during my 2017 stop skin picking journey:
-DO NOT go into the bathroom for any reason other than to actually go to the bathroom/shower ect. I always end up going in to the bathroom for no reason and end up in front of the mirror, then start picking. Keep the bathroom door closed. Dont go in unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes I even dont even turn on the light when i go into the bathroom.
-Kind of goes with first point , but dont stay in front of the mirror for long, dont even look in a mirror unless doing your makeup in the morning. I find it helpful to stand as far back from the mirror as you can, dont go up close whatever you do!
-Try not to be home alone. For me, being home alone means i can pick to my hearts content without being interruptted, having someone see me post-picking spree ect ect. If you are home alone, follow point #1 very closely!
-Write yourself a letter. I know, sounds stupid but actually very motivating. After my worst picking spree in months, i felt SO shitty i decided to write myself a letter about how bad i felt, with the date and time, and told my self FOR REAL, this is the LAST time i will ever pick. When i get the urge i stop, and go read the letter to knock some sense into my want-to-pick self, from my just-picked-and-hate-myself self. lol.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 03/07/2017 6:41 am

Oh, I dread this subject, but let me tell you why...
First, let's decide that people are using the term "picking" loosely on this board in general. So, I am going to define it as "popping" or "extracting" a zit. Just digging around on the surface like you're scraping ice off your car windshield is obviously not doing any good...
Like most other bacteria,Propionibacterium bacteria produces a toxin. In this case, propionic acid. It's actually named for it. This toxin destroys the surrounding tissues, making it possible for it to spread. (Reproduction is the goal...)
The zit will spread to other pores and cause more tissue damage, regardless of whether or not you pick. If you can pick or extract itat the right time,then it can facilitate faster healing.
Although it's not fun to have the scabby aftermath for a few days, the damage is not necessarily a result of picking--it's already happening under the surface.
Just an Fyi...use it to relieve yourselves of a little guilt. Our basal instinct tells us to get the poison out.
Happy "picking"!