Notifications
Clear all

is it going to get worse again? please tell me.

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/17/2017 7:52 am

i just finished 4 months of taking accutane and i still have another 4 months to go. my skin isn't clear yet but there is a huge improvement! my question is: will my skin get worse again or it will just get better and better? im asking this because i still get pimples here and there n im scared it will get bad again. i had a really bad IB btw 
this is my progress so far.

1487246692201.jpg

1483519977751.jpg

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/17/2017 8:05 am

I remember reading a story from a dermatologist who was talking about one of his accutane patients. His patient did not seem to improve at all for four months. The dermatologist during the fourth and fifth month attendeda course at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting "What to do for the Patient who Fails Accutane"he was thinking about this patient the whole lecture. When he returned back to his office, his first patient was the patient who was not improving from Accutane, but to his surprise, this patient's acne had cleared during the fourth and fifth month.

Some people respond to Accutane earlier than others, some may not respond until the final month(s). You have improved a lot and I'm sure that you will be clear at the end of the course! Accutane has such a high response rate and you still have plenty of time left to improve massively!

What dosage are you on? What were the doses of month 1 - 4? When you reach your total cumulative dose I bet that you are clear.

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/17/2017 8:16 am

9 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

I remember reading a story from a dermatologist who was talking about one of his accutane patients. His patient did not seem to improve at all for four months. The dermatologist during the fourth and fifth month attendeda course at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting "What to do for the Patient who Fails Accutane"he was thinking about this patient the whole lecture. When he returned back to his office, his first patient was the patient who was not improving from Accutane, but to his surprise, this patient's acne had cleared during the fourth and fifth month.

Some people respond to Accutane earlier than others, some may not respond until the final month(s). You have improved a lot and I'm sure that you will be clear at the end of the course! Accutane has such a high response rate and you still have plenty of time left to improve massively!

What dosage are you on? What were the doses of month 1 - 4? When you reach your total cumulative dose I bet that you are clear.

i'm on 40mg a day. the first month i was on 10mg, the second i was on 20mg, the 3rd n the 4rth i was on 40mg and im still on it now. i really hope i will get clear for good because i dont understand what accutane is doing to me.. about 2weeks ago i had 2 pimples and i was so excited to finally clear up.. but now i have about 5 pimples on my face..i dont know why is this happening

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/17/2017 8:33 am

It's okay. That is normal for someone who is doing an accutane course. Your cumulative dosage at the end of your course should be around 120 - 150 mg/kg. You are still quite a way off that, so there is plenty of time. I hope you don't have to wait this long, but you may have to wait until your final month until you are all clear, hopefully it will be faster, but patients is ket here. Accutane has an amazing response rate.

Here are some tips to help you.First and foremost, stay happy and optimistic. This is good for your mind and body, and will help you get through the accutane journey.

(1) Taking your pill(s) with or just after your highest fat meal of the day.
(2) Moisturise twice daily ( I use fragrance-free everything ), and make sure that you apply your moisturiser to your skin when it is still damp ( just after you have dried it ). This ensures that the moisturiser soaks into the skin and doesn't just sit on top of it. I think the thicker the better. My skin is never dry using Cetaphil!
(3) Avoid the Sun as much as possible, remember sunscreen!
(4) This, like everything, varies: Try eliminating dairy, and gluten. You may be able to eat things with dairy and gluten but they may not be good for you. Diet is key. Iwould avoid fast food and other really greasy foods.
(5) Exercise lightly, don't do anything excessive.
(6) Try and sleep well.
(7) Look up "Nina and Randa" on YouTube. They cured their acne without medication. They are amazing and are vegans and can provided recipes and other things. They videoed their journey. They cured their acne by changing their diet.
(8) Change your bed sheets weekly.
(9) Use fragrance-free laundry washing liquid.
(10) Avoid touching your face.
(11) Stay stress-free.
(12) Avoid waxing.

If you do not already do some of these, perhaps consider them and maybe it can help you along the way.

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/17/2017 5:47 pm

9 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

It's okay. That is normal for someone who is doing an accutane course. Your cumulative dosage at the end of your course should be around 120 - 150 mg/kg. You are still quite a way off that, so there is plenty of time. I hope you don't have to wait this long, but you may have to wait until your final month until you are all clear, hopefully it will be faster, but patients is ket here. Accutane has an amazing response rate.

Here are some tips to help you.First and foremost, stay happy and optimistic. This is good for your mind and body, and will help you get through the accutane journey.

(1) Taking your pill(s) with or just after your highest fat meal of the day.
(2) Moisturise twice daily ( I use fragrance-free everything ), and make sure that you apply your moisturiser to your skin when it is still damp ( just after you have dried it ). This ensures that the moisturiser soaks into the skin and doesn't just sit on top of it. I think the thicker the better. My skin is never dry using Cetaphil!
(3) Avoid the Sun as much as possible, remember sunscreen!
(4) This, like everything, varies: Try eliminating dairy, and gluten. You may be able to eat things with dairy and gluten but they may not be good for you. Diet is key. Iwould avoid fast food and other really greasy foods.
(5) Exercise lightly, don't do anything excessive.
(6) Try and sleep well.
(7) Look up "Nina and Randa" on YouTube. They cured their acne without medication. They are amazing and are vegans and can provided recipes and other things. They videoed their journey. They cured their acne by changing their diet.
(8) Change your bed sheets weekly.
(9) Use fragrance-free laundry washing liquid.
(10) Avoid touching your face.
(11) Stay stress-free.
(12) Avoid waxing.

If you do not already do some of these, perhaps consider them and maybe it can help you along the way.

alright, thank you x

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/19/2017 11:54 pm

Hey Im five months into my course and my skin got better and has gotten way worse again. Just know sadly it is possible :(

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/20/2017 11:51 am

11 hours ago, cp11447 said:

Hey Im five months into my course and my skin got better and has gotten way worse again. Just know sadly it is possible :(

what? what happened? is it because you increased the dosage? please don't scare mee 

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 12:50 pm

I don't want to scare you at all. i can't stress enough that everyone is different. Ive been on 60 mg the entire five months and I'm 5'7" and weigh 110. My skin seems to go in cycles like i will clear up pretty well for two weeks and then BAM break out really bad again... right now i just broke out really bad again on month five after being almost 100% clear. I don't want to scare you though... but if it does happen you're not alone :(  Im so scared accutane isn't going to work for me:( its my second time on it:(( idk what to do

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/20/2017 2:55 pm

2 hours ago, cp11447 said:

I don't want to scare you at all. i can't stress enough that everyone is different. Ive been on 60 mg the entire five months and I'm 5'7" and weigh 110. My skin seems to go in cycles like i will clear up pretty well for two weeks and then BAM break out really bad again... right now i just broke out really bad again on month five after being almost 100% clear. I don't want to scare you though... but if it does happen you're not alone :(  Im so scared accutane isn't going to work for me:( its my second time on it:(( idk what to do

omg :( i think it's just ups and downs..you'll get better in the endd (x btw, did this happen to you the first time you were on it?

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 3:05 pm

2 minutes ago, accutaneeuser said:
omg :( i think it's just ups and downs..you'll get better in the endd (x btw, did this happen to you the first time you were on it?

I hope so :( and no I just made a post kind of with my history... but I had like three pimples TOPS on my face around my period in high school so my derm had me try three different birth controls and all of them made my skin so so much worse so she decided to do accutane because i wasn't responding to anything else... I was on 20 mg a day and i cleared after the first week and never had a pimple again.. however my acne was so mild just very persistent...finished out a six month course and thought i was good... well I wasn't given a retinol or anything after to preserve my good skin and six months after going off my course my face took a terrible turn and first got so oily again and then i got really bad clogged pores and breakouts again which kept getting worse and worse... so going on it a second time was for a completely different type of acne that my new derm believes was 1. because my first course dose wasn't high enough even though i had mild acne and 2. because I wasn't given anything to preserve clear skin after the course (she recommends a topical to wean your skin off of product rather than quitting cold turkey because your oil glands can rev back up and cause a relapse) Id say going on it this second time my skin looked similar to yours except it was worse on my forehead and a few here and there on my cheeks... at first i cleared up then broke out again... then cleared then broke out again... and it just keeps happening...and its JUST as bad no improvement yet :( I just hope maybe this is the final one especially since I'm five months into it and my derm initially said id only need five months.... jokes on me.. now she is thinking seven... so hopefully from here on out it just gets better. If your skin is clear now, just keep doing what you're doing don't change anything in your routine and hopefully you'll just keep getting clearer and clearer!

MemberMember
(@accutaneeuser)

Posted : 02/20/2017 3:15 pm

5 minutes ago, cp11447 said:
I hope so :( and no I just made a post kind of with my history... but I had like three pimples TOPS on my face around my period in high school so my derm had me try three different birth controls and all of them made my skin so so much worse so she decided to do accutane because i wasn't responding to anything else... I was on 20 mg a day and i cleared after the first week and never had a pimple again.. however my acne was so mild just very persistent...finished out a six month course and thought i was good... well I wasn't given a retinol or anything after to preserve my good skin and six months after going off my course my face took a terrible turn and first got so oily again and then i got really bad clogged pores and breakouts again which kept getting worse and worse... so going on it a second time was for a completely different type of acne that my new derm believes was 1. because my first course dose wasn't high enough even though i had mild acne and 2. because I wasn't given anything to preserve clear skin after the course (she recommends a topical to wean your skin off of product rather than quitting cold turkey because your oil glands can rev back up and cause a relapse) Id say going on it this second time my skin looked similar to yours except it was worse on my forehead and a few here and there on my cheeks... at first i cleared up then broke out again... then cleared then broke out again... and it just keeps happening...and its JUST as bad no improvement yet :( I just hope maybe this is the final one especially since I'm five months into it and my derm initially said id only need five months.... jokes on me.. now she is thinking seven... so hopefully from here on out it just gets better. If your skin is clear now, just keep doing what you're doing don't change anything in your routine and hopefully you'll just keep getting clearer and clearer!

my skin never cleared up 100% actually. it's just that it got so much better for a whole week and then i started to get some pimples. it's not bad but i just don't want it to get worse. i don't even know why this keeps happening to us.. i hope we'll clear up soon :c

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 3:39 pm

i completely relate:( i read about so many people that said once they started clearing that was it and it kept "getting better and better" I just want this to stop already its been five months :(