Notifications
Clear all

Could Neutrogena Microderma help my scars?

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 02/13/2017 11:24 am

So i recently got the Neutrogena Microdermabrasion system. I've read that maybe it's not as effective as true microdermabrasion, but you can use it 2-3 times per week, and from pics and re'views I've seen it seems some people do have results with this.

I don't have access to TCA or a dermaroller longer than .2 mm! 

So I'm planning to give this a try. Does anyone think this might work for my scarring? Or are my scars too deep to see a difference from this? Does anyone have experience with seeing results from this type of thing?

16729594_10210873089237021_1937461860_n.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/13/2017 1:46 pm

Possibly give it a try and update us on your progress. The ones it has worked on use it quite often, and do microneedle or peels with it.

Pm me for more help

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 02/23/2017 4:16 am

Ok, here's a one week update. I've used it 3 times so far. Overall, my skin is smoother....and the very minor imperfections are improving. But I'm not sure what to make of my scars. Somehow, they appear larger than before...I think this is due to the edges around the scars being smoothed out.  The depth of my scars is more easy, where as before it was difficult for me to tell how deep they were. So overall, I think my major scaring by my eyebrows has softened but I am somewhat worried about the wider look of them. Is this normal as the skin is exfoliated? Also, lately *previous to trying this product, I have noticed a fine line developing THROUGH the cluster of scars I have above my left eyebrow (right side in pics). It's developed fairly quickly and I think the placement of the fine line is due to the skin quality in that particular area. I'm not sure what I can do about this? It might be hard to notice in the pictures. 

Any opinions?

I'm thinking I will continue on with this. I think the 'wider' look has more to do with the shadow cast from smother edges than anything. But I'm not sure!

16933945_10210958705377371_391868846_n.jpg

16901712_10210958703817332_753237191_n.jpg

16933554_10210958699617227_990523120_n.jpg

Also, I'm thinking I will be getting a chemical peel done at a Med Spa in a few months time. I found a Med Spa that does peels, micro dermabrasion and micro needling. I think a chemical peel would be the most effective and cost effective. What do you think? Micrro needling sounds like a long process and too expensive to do at a Med Spa! So I'm considering the chemical peel or micro dermabrasion..

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/23/2017 8:27 am

A chemical peel if it was strong and deep enough would work, most people don't want down time so they use weak peels that do nothing. I would get that done at the med spa and microneedling, space it out over a year. Acne scars are never one and done, collagen takes a long time to produce.
Microdermabaration is not worth it, it does nothing. You already have a device that does this.

Regarding the Microderma, Any treatment on scars makes them wider and smooths out the edges unit you sand it down enough to be more flat, or stimulate new collagen. Laser does the same thing. Acne scars often improve only up to 50%. You would do well with TCA peels to resurface that area. Doing your microderma at home, and microneedling with the spa. space it out. If you do it too often you will get thinner skin so give it time to heal. Spot treat only your scars, not the whole area with the microderma.

MemberMember
(@hope01)

Posted : 02/23/2017 11:31 pm

15 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

A chemical peel if it was strong and deep enough would work, most people don't want down time so they use weak peels that do nothing. I would get that done at the med spa and microneedling, space it out over a year. Acne scars are never one and done, collagen takes a long time to produce.
Microdermabaration is not worth it, it does nothing. You already have a device that does this.

Regarding the Microderma, Any treatment on scars makes them wider and smooths out the edges unit you sand it down enough to be more flat, or stimulate new collagen. Laser does the same thing. Acne scars often improve only up to 50%. You would do well with TCA peels to resurface that area. Doing your microderma at home, and microneedling with the spa. space it out. If you do it too often you will get thinner skin so give it time to heal. Spot treat only your scars, not the whole area with the microderma.

Good to see your still very much active on the site beautiful ambition not been on the site for a few months but you have given good advice to many.

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 02/24/2017 3:43 am

4 hours ago, Hope01 said:
19 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

Good to see your still very much active on the site beautiful ambition not been on the site for a few months but you have given good advice to many.

Yes! I am very happy for his advice and quick replies!

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 02/24/2017 3:59 am

19 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

Ok good advice with the microderma. I'll just focus on the scared areas and not the whole face! 

I'm surprised to hear that acne scars only improve up to 50 percent! Is this just in reference to microderma or any scar treatment> Half of those scars I have are fairly new, less than a year old. The oldest are like a year and a half old...would that make any difference towards my chances of improvement? 

I will have a free week or two,  so I plan to do a chemical peel and take the down time. Could you please give me an idea of what a treatment plan over the course of a year might look like? Currently I could realistically do about 3 chemical peels over the course of the year, due to down time. Also, I don't think I can afford several treatments of both microneedling and chemical peels from the med spa. I can do home microderma on the specific spots and perhaps home dermarolling a few months down the road. I could take weekend recovery from dermarolling but no more than that. I'm thinking that I would need a .5-1 mm roller in that case? 

Do you think this would be effective enough?

I was really hoping that I could achieve full improvement or near total improvement in the appearance of my scars. I didn't think they were that bad. :P Is this actually unrealistic though? I honestly wouldn't be bothered by them/notice them, except for the location of them 

Thanks for all your help :) Sorry for all the questions! 

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 02/24/2017 4:34 am

****Also, in terms of collagen production, I found this product in a pharmacy TRIACNEAL that is supposed to increase cell turnover.In contains:Retinaldehyde(0.1%),Glycolic acid (6%) . Could this work for me temporarily/a few months to increase collagen til get a dermaroller? Or would this only make my skin thinner?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/24/2017 5:13 am

5 hours ago, Hope01 said:
20 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

Thank you, checkout the new faq at the top of the sub 😉 Good to see you back

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/24/2017 5:47 am

I do not mean to discourage you, I just am honest from the many people I have helped. We get a small percentage of improvement from the treatments we do. Many thing they will have perfectly smooth skin and Drs feed this thinking. Scars are scars, you can make them look better and blend in better.

There is good news maybe you will have higher results, your scars are new and they typically have better results.

Things will get worse before better.

Be aware of what works and what does not, look for a percentage of results. We all heal differently

Do your 5-9 times of microneedle and 3 times of tca peels throughout the year. When your microneedle treatment heals, you can do your microderma on the spots.

It does look similar to tretinorin cream, you can use this when you do not microneedle or have acid peels. Retin a also called tretinorin or isotex or isotrex does thin the skin, makes cell turn over quicker, and the one you mentioned has a acid in it. Do not use when doing other stuff at the same time as it could be too much. Don't use anything accept pure HA serum during microneedle.

I mentioned the owndoc.com derminator as many of us have it and it's the cost of one microneedle session at a spa. Maybe you can have a friend mail it to you...

I would do full face tca peels to even out the other spot treatments you care doing. Of course go with the med spas recommendation.

Microneedle you will need 1.5mm and above

Hopefully you will get a full improvement.

MemberMember
(@goodcellar)

Posted : 04/22/2017 8:46 am

Thought I'd make an update. I ended up getting fraxel restore after it was recommended to me. I'm 10 days post. I actually had a bad reaction to the laser but that has cleared up with some medication. My skin is still quite pink (I'm wearing make up in the photos). Usually when I wear make up, it can actually make the shadows of the scars look more prominent, so I thought I would post pics like that. 

Anyway, I am really pleased with the result. I'm not sure if it is noticeable to others, however to me the scars look much more mild and far less noticeable. What do you guys think?

I think it's safe to say that the swelling should be gone by now and this result should be 'true'. Am I right about this? Or can I expect the scars to become more visible again in the next week or two?

Anyway, so my next step is a full face mild chemical peel in a month or so. To help even out the color and texture a bit. I do have some 'orange peel skin' on my face now, but it's not that noticeable unless in bright light. And I expect this will fade with time and exfoliation. 

Anyway, I was really worried since my skin had an allergic reaction to the laser, but now I am feeling very happy with the results. Sadly, I have been told that I can not do laser again, because of my 'baby skin' type. 

My plan is to do a mild chemical peel, let me skin relax over the summer, and then do one or two more medium strength peels next fall/winter. Might also add in a few derma needling sessions, after the summer. 

Thoughts anyone? Is it too soon to say that my results are 'permanent'? 

I know it's not that big of a difference to others, but I'm really thrilled and I feel a lot more confident, even with such a small change.

18051792_10211506413109722_334953401_n.jpg

18072768_10211506415629785_82436513_n.jpg

18073367_10211506412549708_147226666_n.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/22/2017 9:25 am

@GoodCellarHey, this is not a temperament result form laser. Especially after 1 treatment, most people take several restores to get any results. More than likely its swelling after the treatment, this happens normally right after treatments and makes everyone look better. Typical healing takes weeks if not months for collagen to occur. We had another poster recently who had one fraxel and thought he was fixed, when it was more than likely micro swelling. I have known people who have gotten 6 restores.

Sure Microneedling is fine during the summer.

TCA you need to be very careful of the sun, hat, sunscreen, and avoid being outside too much for some weeks after as your skin will be sensitive. I know for some this is harder than others for their summer type plans.