Notifications
Clear all

HOW DO MY ACNE SCARS REALLY LOOK??

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/12/2017 2:04 am

I had horrible acne as a teen.....I have pictures here of the SAME side of my face, in different lighting. I can take a picture, have my picture taken, or even look in certain mirrors and they will look fine or they're there enough to where they won't bother me... My friends even say they dont even notice them until I bring them to their attention.....but heaven forbid me looking at my face in different lighting.... HOW COME THEY DO THIS??? DO PEOPLE REALLY SEE ME LIKE THIS THEN??? 20170211_223417.jpg20170211_223255.png20170211_223315.png1486882246325-1147796686.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/12/2017 6:43 am

Scars often effect us more personally than they do others. We see the worst parts of our self. They have learned to accept you and just see you as more than your scars (your friends). This is why therapy is sometimes more important than costly scar treatments that give a small percentage of improvement. If you are in the USA we have a smart phone app called talkspace where you can get therapy or there is always face to face.

Regarding the scars. I see a bunch of shallow box cars with some rolling scars. At home you can do microneedling (owndoc.com has the derminator most of us use). There is also retin a cream which does cell turn over. TCA spot peels on the areas.

A doctor could do subcision and get some improvement as well, and you can use a cupping device on say amazon also called vacuuming to keep it from re -tethering or get filler which works quite well.

Dermatologists and plastic surgeons will push you into laser, do not do it. Start with the above treatments and see how you do. Laser can have fat loss, only do laser after you have tried other alternatives. Lasers are never one and done. I have see better results with dermabration, which has a long down time (you need 3 of them), Uses a diamond file and is only done by a "facial" plastic surgeon. See plenty of their before an after pics, and make sure they have done hundreds of them.

Tca Acid peels and microneedle will take about a year (you alternate between months, heal and do next treatment), it is a slow process. Subcision can be done concurrently you will need 3 of them.

For more info on all of these treatments goto the faq below in my signature: tca peels, subcision, microneedling

MemberMember
(@miguellp)

Posted : 02/12/2017 8:30 am

This month I will star microneedling and how the guy said you should try too.You do not have atrophy like me( I have cortisone atrophy) and the neddlind will turn your scars much better and so you will be more comfortable.And after microneedling, you can study another treatment to do. good luck and be happy

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/12/2017 9:31 am

I can tell you are a very beautiful girl. You should try ( using therapy if that is needed ) to understand that people do not see them as much as you do. Imagine you bought a new car and accidentally scratched it, just a tiny scratch. You would notice this scratch everyday, but most others probably wouldn't even see it, also they wouldn't be looking for the scratch to begin with.

You probably think about your scars ( which btw I don't think are bad at all ) all day, and look at them all of the time. These scars are the scratch in your car. People won't be looking for your scars, and they certainly won't be anywhere near as severe as you think in their eyes.

Also, I noticed that I could only really see your scars from angled lighting and really close up. How often will you be in angled lighting? And also how often will someone be that close to you to see it?

Probably one of the only good things to come from pretty much everyone in the world getting acne at some point, is that acne scarring treatment is very popular, and hence it is getting better and better all of the time. You can do many things to treat your scars ( consider Dr Davin Lim on YouTube to get an idea ). There were some very good treatments listen above. I would do a lot of research, ask for advice from as many people as you can ( using this forum is a great way to do so ), before doing them, but there is a lot you can do ( I honestly don't think your scars are bad ), so stay optimistic, and keep a happy mind ( this is the key to anything ).

Мyth, Raeraenight, Noa27 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 02/12/2017 11:48 am

How old are those scars?

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/12/2017 12:05 pm

My scars are about 4 years old at this point.

MemberMember
(@childhooddreams)

Posted : 02/13/2017 1:56 am

No sugarcoating answer: They are fairly bad (and verysimilar to mine)

Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay.

MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 02/13/2017 3:19 am

1 hour ago, ChildhoodDreams said:

No sugarcoating answer: They are fairly bad (and very similar to mine)

Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay.

Wow... 

It is YOUR choice to be negative. DON'T drag anyone else in this. 

On topic. I can see your scarring, but really it is not that bad. It is funny though, i find my scarring horrible, but when i see someone else his/her pic of scarring, i always can see the beauty in people faces. So i think that is a proof that this is mostly a mental thing. I rarely see pics on this forum when i think, wooow that is baaaddddd!!! Rarely. 

There are lots of depressing posts on this forum, but also positive and uplifting. Look for that :)

Also, i you feel more comfy to make your scarring less obvious (i don't say they are bad, but in your mind they probably are), you can put on beautiful makeup on your eyes. Or put a nice shimmery layer of lipgloss on your lips. Or do just both :)

I see you wear earrings. Buy yourself a pair of earrings :)

There are loads of tools to make your scarring less obvious.  

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/13/2017 12:32 pm

No, it's true. My acne scars are fairly bad I would say [in certain light]. Countless ones have told me when I asked if they normally see the top row of pictures [listed below] or the bottom row when they look at me, and a lot of them said the top. They said the bottom seems zoomed in and so of course  when you're right in someone's face you'll see all imperfections [As stated somewhere]. I look at pictures of me from professional photographer sessions, disneyland vaccation pics taken from iPads, even videos, and granted, I see the scars, but just not as when I'm in bad dark lighting or angled. So if people mainly just see the top pics, I can deal with that for now.

IMG_2017-02-12_16-12-23.JPG

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/13/2017 12:52 pm

You will always see the scratch in your car, right? I'm really glad to read what you just said. Is it just on one side of your face?

For the future if you want to:

If you can find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist ( RealSelf is a good site to use for this ). You can get massive improvements if you find an expert who does a " combination treatment ". Like stated, a lot of dermatologists will advise laser, which can be great, but alone will probably not be enough to satisfy you. Check out Dr Davin Lim on YouTube, he has amazing results using his combinations of treatments. Note that he may do submission, fully ablative and fractional lasers, TCA cross and filler to obtain great results, so I would not trust a dermatologist who tells you that laser ( alone ) is the way to go.

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/13/2017 1:32 pm

I'm going to look into the stuff listed above from everyone. First though, I'll probably do some Microrolling.
And yes, it's just mainly on that one side. That's the worst side. I have a scar on my forehead too and only like 2 on the other side of my face, but they're so much smaller and less "dented" and so I can easily hide those with a good primer and foundation. My other scars on the bad side of my face as listed above, don't react well with makeup, so I don't get so lucky with that side, it'll blur them a little, but not to the effect I want.
However, I guess it is true that a lot of it is mental, cuz some days my scars bother me so much [like the last few days] and then some other days, they don't at all. I also have friends who claim they have bad acne scars too and I cant even see them until they point directly to them and turn their heads a certain way. So yeah, I'll be the one who mainly sees the scratches in my car.

MemberMember
(@childhooddreams)

Posted : 02/13/2017 8:32 pm

17 hours ago, Noa27 said:
Wow...

It is YOUR choice to be negative. DON'T drag anyone else in this.

This 'positive' garbage needs to stop.We need to be realistic and logical, none of this "be happy!your scars aren't noticeable! visit a therapist, or download the talkspace app!" nonsense. Many positive thinkers on this forum are blinded by delusions; in fact that is what positive thinking is: tricking yourself to believe real problems don't matter (when they do)

With that being said, we can start being positive after any improvements occur from surgical procedures.

That's what will actually make you positive.

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/13/2017 11:07 pm

They never said my Acne scaring wasn't noticeable. Cuz they provided help on how to deal with them and how to fix them. I do believe that they aren't as noticeable in certain areas because I've noticed that my cameras or videos can't pick them up when I'm under certain lights. I can also give them a "blur" effect with certain makeup because I've seen the difference. However, they could be way worse, because I've seen way worse than the ones on myself. So I am going to try some suggestions listed above regardless.

kat22 liked
MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/13/2017 11:49 pm

Please do not fret or worry over what others may have said, we all our dealing with our own issues, trials, and trauma. I hope some of this information could be helpful. We would like for you to keep us updated with your scar treatment and success. Sharing helps others find similar solutions to their issues. Thank you for posting, your welcome here! I don't want you to be bogged down by others mindset, bestthing is to just completely ignore the negativity that won't give your scars success. The therapy part of mental component is sometimes more important in the treatment process which is not 100% than the actual treatments. I like your outlook OP.

MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 02/14/2017 4:47 am

10 hours ago, ChildhoodDreams said:
This 'positive' garbage needs to stop.We need to be realistic and logical, none of this "be happy!your scars aren't noticeable! visit a therapist, or download the talkspace app!" nonsense. Many positive thinkers on this forum are blinded by delusions; in fact that is what positive thinking is: tricking yourself to believe real problems don't matter (when they do)

With that being said, we can start being positive after any improvements occur from surgical procedures.

No. If you have a negative mindset, you can have all the improvement in the world and you still be unhappy. Because you will find something else to be unhappy about.

Raeraenight and kat22 liked
MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 02/14/2017 4:19 pm

I'd do TCA cross for the ice picks, then microneedling and fillers.....you can't get rid of them but you should get a decent improvement!

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 02/15/2017 7:03 am

On 2/14/2017 at 1:32 AM, ChildhoodDreams said:

You should be a spokes person for the cosmetic industry, "you are all garbage! Spend money now or die ugly and unhappy"

MemberMember
(@tomwaits)

Posted : 02/16/2017 12:41 pm

youre beatiful dont mind these scars

MemberMember
(@raeraenight)

Posted : 02/19/2017 2:06 am

Has anyone had success of improvement with my type of scars using a 1.0 DermarollER and Vitamin C serum? I read a lot of people have used this method.

MemberMember
(@ariunbold)

Posted : 02/19/2017 2:49 am

i cant see any scar. If you call this as scar then what you do call mine? This makes me feel bad

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/19/2017 3:02 am

54 minutes ago, Raeraenight said:

Has anyone had success of improvement with my type of scars using a 1.0 DermarollER and Vitamin C serum? I read a lot of people have used this method.

1.0mm will do very little, you need 1.5mm to 2mm and tca peels to really make a diffrence. It takes a year to see results, once a month you alternate treatments. The vitamin C will do nothing for you, I see no discoloration.

MemberMember
(@gogetemchamp)

Posted : 09/17/2017 6:37 pm

At least your beautiful. I look at your face then I look at the scars, but I can still see through it. :)

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/20/2017 7:57 pm

I read where some people were suggesting microneedling. I amVERY wary of it from personal experience.

I had a test done on my temple with Skinpen. Itreddenedthe area (three weeks now)AND it seems to have depressed it as well -- the opposite of what was supposed to happen so now my depressions LOOK WORSE. My normal skin adjacent to the treated area is plump by comparison.

I don't know what happened but I have to go back and see what can be done now. I thought I'd just try it and if it didn't work, no problem. I never thought I would actually make my appearance worse.

MemberMember
(@gone)

Posted : 09/21/2017 9:24 am

If I take a picture facing the light the photograph doesn't show my scars, but in other light my scars look awful, especially in car windows.

I can only mirror what the first post said - try subcison and perhaps retin A. I am afraid of trying retin A as there's been some horror stories on here lately, but it may be worth trying it out with a low strength.

Posted : 09/10/2021 12:26 am

To me these scars really dont look like much at all, even in the worst lighting. I am surprised that you are looking to treat them, honestly, seeing as they look like nothing in good lighting, and only noticeable (but not a big deal) in bad lighting.

I have the same issue where I am obsessed with how they look in bad lighting. I am convinced that my scars are horrifying to people and I have been really depressed about it. I have been told that my scars are not that bad. But I absolutely cant believe this is true when I see them in bad lighting, to my own eye I dont even look human.

I understand how it feels to be confused about how they can look fine in one situation, and seem bad in another another angle, lighting, whatever. For whatever its worth, my very honest opinion of the worst pictures you have shared is that your scars are unremarkable, definitely not something that looks bad at all.