Notifications
Clear all

Starting accutane in 2 days

MemberMember
(@lydia_tank)

Posted : 02/11/2017 10:22 am

I start accutane in 2 days and I have some questions. My skin is severe comedonal acne and moderate cystic acne from my face to my chest, back, lower back, and arms. I have tried Minocycline, Doxycycline, Clindamycin foam, topical tretinoin, and a sulfur wash, all with little to no success. I was wondering if anyone with comedonal acne has had success with accutane or did make it worse? Also, did you go through the so called purging stage, where you break out like crazy? What are some good facial cleansers and moisturizers while on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@teennick17)

Posted : 02/12/2017 2:52 pm

Yes, Accutaneworks and it will break you out in the beginning. I would say you will get breakouts for a while (like 3 or 4 months) before it will start to lessen. Don't get discouraged though becausein the end, you will be clear. I recommend ceravemoisturizer and facial cleanser and invest in a good chapstick (I really liked the Lipsyl).

I took Accutanetwice so I have a lot of experience with it lol

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/12/2017 11:49 pm

Hey girl! i'm currently four months into my second course of accutane. (first was for super mild but persistent acne) this time my acne is purely comedonal that came up 6 months after my last course with occasional deeper pimples. My derm said since my acne wasn't "that bad" that i didn't have to worry about breaking out really bad and skin was going to clear right up... talk about empty promises. i don't want to scare you but HOLY HELL my face has never looked worse...scabs, pimples, raw skin, scars my face literally has looked like a war zone. i've had ups and really hard downs and this started three weeks in and i'm still breaking out in my fourth month pretty consistantly but finally seems to be slowing down. I'm pretty sure it's accutane pushing every single clog out of my skin and making it a pimple first which then turns into a scab that gets dry and makes a littler mark that takes a while to fade. i was so hopeful because i looked at so many posts and youtube vids saying how skin usually is pretty much clear by the third or fourth month but i haven't seen the results yet besides SUPER dry skin and super red skin (especially after clearing after two weeks on my first course) I'm taking 60 mg a day and i weigh 116 pounds and i'm an 18 year old and a freshman in college. Now, you could have a complete different reaction than myself or anyone you read about. you could clear up super fast and never look back like i did on my first course! but if you do start breaking out badly... you're not the only one, and know there are people out there like myself who are having a really hard time with it even a few months in. I can't say that i've cleared up yet, but hopefully within tw o months i will. if you ever need someone to talk to you can DM me on here with questions or just to vent. personally this has been the hardest thing i've had to overcome so i can definitely talk to you about that if you ever need it!

For cleansers derms recommend cerave and cetaphil... these cleansers contain parabens and sulphates which are so bad for your skin.. some people will defend those brands and they did work for me while i was on accutane the first time for very mild acne and clueless to what parabens even were.. the whole reason i think i developed comedonal acne was because of my skincare and trusting in those drugstore products that promised to not clog my pores and were "recommended" (i swear every brand i look at is the #1 brand recommended don't know how that's possible) so NOW i use Acure organics skincare. i would recommend this for the LONG HAUL. they have a really mild gentle facial cleanser and lotion that aren't super expensive you can get them on amazon or at target and they were recommended to me by my wholistic health doctor who specializes in skincare and most importantly these products long term won't reverse your skin when youre done with accutane but rather perserve clear skin and make sure your skin stays balanced and doesn't reclog (i wish i knew this before!) also my skin over the past few months has peeled and become raw and painful in some areas.. i'm not sure what your dose is, if it's lowers you may not experience this but i bought 100% aloe (amara organics on amazon) and layer this on top of my moisturizer and it is super soothing and healing. once your acne clears up a little, you can also add a few drops of emu oil (i purchased mine at a website called soothe) which helps a lot with dryness and red marks. *this will not break you out it is anti inflammatory and antibacterial*

Seriously though, try not to read too far into internet. i know how hard it is because i've made the mistake both times... I will literally search the internet until i find something that is what i want to hear such as my skin will be perfect by week 3. i cant stress enough EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. my best friend and i started same dose same time she had terrible cystic acne, i had small comedones and not TERRIBLY visible... she completely cleared by her third month and i've only gotten worse up until this point where im sort of seeing improvement .. so definitely take everything with a grain of salt because then you won't be super distraught if things don't go the way you thought (i was a mess because i wasn't expecting my skin to get so bad and still be bad in the fourth month) like i said if you ever need to talk or need help during your course please reach out! i wish you all the luck!!

MemberMember
(@lotte_oxx)

Posted : 02/13/2017 8:09 pm

I'm giving you my experience. I went on accutane when I was 15 and had no issues what so ever. Extremely dry skin yes and lips and eyes. But trust me it's so worth it. Can't remember my skin breaking out badly and it feels like after a couple of months you wake up one day and your skin is perfect. I know that's not the case but it's how it felt. It's a really good drug just stay healthy and hydrated on it and have faith. I am now 20 and my acne has returned due to messing about with pills. They've put me on dianette and doxycycline first but I'll get referred as I do have so much faith in accutane: this may sound dramatic but it changed my life. My advice would be stay on it as long as you can because my skin cleared within 5 months so didn't bother getting my 6 month prescription but I think the longer you take it your skin will stay clearer for a longer time. Hope this helps! Good luck x

MemberMember
(@lydia_tank)

Posted : 02/24/2017 2:34 pm

On 2/13/2017 at 8:09 PM, Lotte_oxx said:

I'm giving you my experience. I went on accutane when I was 15 and had no issues what so ever. Extremely dry skin yes and lips and eyes. But trust me it's so worth it. Can't remember my skin breaking out badly and it feels like after a couple of months you wake up one day and your skin is perfect. I know that's not the case but it's how it felt. It's a really good drug just stay healthy and hydrated on it and have faith. I am now 20 and my acne has returned due to messing about with pills. They've put me on dianette and doxycycline first but I'll get referred as I do have so much faith in accutane: this may sound dramatic but it changed my life. My advice would be stay on it as long as you can because my skin cleared within 5 months so didn't bother getting my 6 month prescription but I think the longer you take it your skin will stay clearer for a longer time. Hope this helps! Good luck x

I'm going to be on it for five months! I'm on 40mg right now and completed my first week. The side effects are just starting kick in and I'm breaking out more on the sides of my face. My lips are peeling but I'm using Aquaphor.

On 2/12/2017 at 11:49 PM, cp11447 said:

Hey girl! i'm currently four months into my second course of accutane. (first was for super mild but persistent acne) this time my acne is purely comedonal that came up 6 months after my last course with occasional deeper pimples. My derm said since my acne wasn't "that bad" that i didn't have to worry about breaking out really bad and skin was going to clear right up... talk about empty promises. i don't want to scare you but HOLY HELL my face has never looked worse...scabs, pimples, raw skin, scars my face literally has looked like a war zone. i've had ups and really hard downs and this started three weeks in and i'm still breaking out in my fourth month pretty consistantly but finally seems to be slowing down. I'm pretty sure it's accutane pushing every single clog out of my skin and making it a pimple first which then turns into a scab that gets dry and makes a littler mark that takes a while to fade. i was so hopeful because i looked at so many posts and youtube vids saying how skin usually is pretty much clear by the third or fourth month but i haven't seen the results yet besides SUPER dry skin and super red skin (especially after clearing after two weeks on my first course) I'm taking 60 mg a day and i weigh 116 pounds and i'm an 18 year old and a freshman in college. Now, you could have a complete different reaction than myself or anyone you read about. you could clear up super fast and never look back like i did on my first course! but if you do start breaking out badly... you're not the only one, and know there are people out there like myself who are having a really hard time with it even a few months in. I can't say that i've cleared up yet, but hopefully within tw o months i will. if you ever need someone to talk to you can DM me on here with questions or just to vent. personally this has been the hardest thing i've had to overcome so i can definitely talk to you about that if you ever need it!

For cleansers derms recommend cerave and cetaphil... these cleansers contain parabens and sulphates which are so bad for your skin.. some people will defend those brands and they did work for me while i was on accutane the first time for very mild acne and clueless to what parabens even were.. the whole reason i think i developed comedonal acne was because of my skincare and trusting in those drugstore products that promised to not clog my pores and were "recommended" (i swear every brand i look at is the #1 brand recommended don't know how that's possible) so NOW i use Acure organics skincare. i would recommend this for the LONG HAUL. they have a really mild gentle facial cleanser and lotion that aren't super expensive you can get them on amazon or at target and they were recommended to me by my wholistic health doctor who specializes in skincare and most importantly these products long term won't reverse your skin when youre done with accutane but rather perserve clear skin and make sure your skin stays balanced and doesn't reclog (i wish i knew this before!) also my skin over the past few months has peeled and become raw and painful in some areas.. i'm not sure what your dose is, if it's lowers you may not experience this but i bought 100% aloe (amara organics on amazon) and layer this on top of my moisturizer and it is super soothing and healing. once your acne clears up a little, you can also add a few drops of emu oil (i purchased mine at a website called soothe) which helps a lot with dryness and red marks. *this will not break you out it is anti inflammatory and antibacterial*

Seriously though, try not to read too far into internet. i know how hard it is because i've made the mistake both times... I will literally search the internet until i find something that is what i want to hear such as my skin will be perfect by week 3. i cant stress enough EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. my best friend and i started same dose same time she had terrible cystic acne, i had small comedones and not TERRIBLY visible... she completely cleared by her third month and i've only gotten worse up until this point where im sort of seeing improvement .. so definitely take everything with a grain of salt because then you won't be super distraught if things don't go the way you thought (i was a mess because i wasn't expecting my skin to get so bad and still be bad in the fourth month) like i said if you ever need to talk or need help during your course please reach out! i wish you all the luck!!

My dose currently is 40mg, but I feel like I need to be bumped up in the second month. My medicine instruction guide says it will break you out but it shouldn't break out for too long. Doesn't tell how long though. Right now I'm breaking out in a few small cysts but I'm hoping it will get better.