Notifications
Clear all

Don't know what to do anymore

MemberMember
(@cakeycheeks23)

Posted : 02/07/2017 11:59 pm

I am almost going to reach my mid 20s and I am still suffering from adult acne. I have painfulcystic acne and I get it all over my face. I have tried everything and don't know what to do anymore. I have had acne since I was 12 yrs old. I have a very oily t zone and also very large pores. It is also very sensitive and I always have to be careful with what I apply to it because anything will irritate it or clog my pores. As a teenager I started off with regular drug store products and facial cleansers like from Neutrogena and Clean & Clear. Don't get me wrong, I still use some of their products, but because I like them, not because they get rid of my acne. If anything they sometimes help control it, on a good day. Anyway, I've gotten prescribed antibiotics and they did not help. Maybe for a week I had less acne and then it came back. I used Adapalene and it did not do a thing. I got a facial once and the extraction process was too painful. Had clear skin for 3 days and then the acne came back stronger than ever! I was told that if I got facials every so often my acne could go away, but I could not get one more facial, it was way too painful.  I was on birth control from when I was 18 until 22, for ovarian cysts but also because it would supposedly help my acne, but no. Nothing worked. Then I started trying to eat healthier, fight it from within. I cut out most dairy products like milk. And I tried eating better, fruits and veggies, no more junk food, chips. Drink more water. And nothing worked. Cutting out milk did help though. Then I read about how some people got rid of their acne with probiotics and other supplements such as zinc. I tried that too and it didn't do anything. I also tried using oil as a moisturizer after people claimed it helps to trick your skin into producing less sebum, and it kind of did produce less sebum but acne is still there. I washed my face with Head & Shoulders because people have claimed it helped them. I also like to use sunscreen every day when I go outside because...we all need to, but it clogs my pores. I'm telling you, I have tried EVERYTHING. I am tired. I want to be able to go out in public without makeup and feel confident! Even with makeup  I feel so self-conscious and I hate to look at myself in the mirror each morning. I need to find something or someone that can help me because this really depresses me and sometimes I feel like I am never going to have clear skin and be able to enjoy life to it's fullest. I don't like going out in the daylight when my skin is bad because I don't want my boyfriend or whoever I am with, to see my face or go to outdoor daytime activities. I feel hopeless sometimes :( If anyone has gone through this and feels the same way or found a way to get rid of their acne please help. I know the only thing I have not tried is isotretinoin...but honestly that is not something i want to try or could even afford at this time. But lately I have been thinking about it...

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 02/08/2017 6:42 am

I know, it's frustrating!
Something I did that I totally recommend (like many others here) is to research everything you're using at: cosdna.com. It's a very useful site. It's not perfect, some comedogenic things won't show a rating, so it may take a little extra investigating, but it cuts out a lot of that footwork. It can also help you start to narrow down ingredients that may trigger your skin (everyone is different--mild allergies and such)
More recently, I am investigating the possibility that it is being triggered by my hormones...I realized that certain milk products and soy aggravated my acne. That is commonly an indication that it's hormonal.

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 02/08/2017 7:43 am

Hello, I second the Spironolactone recommendation. Unlike dmd123235my skin only got better and better when I started it. And like you, I had tried everything else besides Accutane. Just remember that you are not alone. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@greenacne95)

Posted : 02/08/2017 8:36 am

Hi im a man 21, also have adult acne. Stated getting real bad at 13 yo, which has now left scars and redmarks. About 70% had cleared, thinking all i have to do now is getting rid of the redmarks but little did I know what was gonna happen, during a period 200 new pimples arrived on my chest,neck,back and some on my face combined. Ive used alot of products during those years and ive learned it doesnt work, my only hope now is accutane have you considered it? Also research into acid mantle and products that damage it. Usually over aggressive skincare can cause more oil to be produced because it can dehydrate it and or skin is trying to heal itself by producing more oil. Oil gets trapped in large pores causing breakouts. Maybe you are doing too much? Perhaps try to go light with the skincare and water only with a good moisturizer, let your skin rebalance itself. Read testimonials on the love vitamin.com etc.. The more you irritate your skin product after product the more it produces oil is what I learned trough trial and error. Just use a simple cleanser like cerave foaming to get rid off the oil with a good moisturizer if or dry, Vaseline and aloe vera helps heal the irritated skin. Try not to stress too much and let nature take its course for a while.

We are at the exact same situation, so I know your pain very well. Probably tried over 20 different brands of acne products