Notifications
Clear all

Use of glycolic acid after salicylic acid?

MemberMember
(@vadaxin)

Posted : 02/03/2017 12:25 am

Hello I have been suffering with acne for a pretty long time .. I have finally started a regimen that is working but slowly.. I am on my 6th week and absolutely see improvement. let me start off
AM- cerave foaming cleanser, witch hazel as toner, dans 10% glycolic acid, aveeno sunscreen moisturizer.
PM- cerave foaming cleanser, differin retinoid,cerave moisturizing lotion.
since my acne is 90% comedonal I thought using glycolic acid would clear my closed comedones completely, but me having to find out glycolic acid only exfoliates the top layer, some closed comedones are still there but slowly disappearing. I have decided instead of using glycolic acid why not use a 2% salicylic acid gel since BHA clears pores from the inside. My question was is it possible to use the salicylic acid until acne is completely clear and then switch over to my glycolic acid? I absolutely love the glycolic acid so I would definitely want to use that instead, or would my acne flare up again because the stopping of salicylic acid ? I'm guessing once the BHA clears my comedonal problem the AHA will then exfoliate and prevent new acne to occur, is my guess correct ? Please if any opinion or response would be great . Also even tho I'm using retinoids and acids my face seems to tolerate it with no problem.

MemberMember
(@lordschweitzer)

Posted : 02/03/2017 10:22 am

I struggle with closed comedones as well. I've found that dan's AHA works wonders for some parts of my face, but not for others. The area around my chin gets whiteheads very easily, and even after I clear them up with something stronger, they'll return even if I use the AHA every night. Maybe if you use salicylic acid and get clear, use it every second or third night as a "maintenance" on the areas that tend to get clogged the most and then use the AHA the other nights?

MemberMember
(@vadaxin)

Posted : 02/03/2017 5:42 pm

7 hours ago, LordSchweitzer said:

I struggle with closed comedones as well. I've found that dan's AHA works wonders for some parts of my face, but not for others. The area around my chin gets whiteheads very easily, and even after I clear them up with something stronger, they'll return even if I use the AHA every night. Maybe if you use salicylic acid and get clear, use it every second or third night as a "maintenance" on the areas that tend to get clogged the most and then use the AHA the other nights?

Oh Yess great idea I'll figure something. Maybe AHA 4x a week and BHA 3x