Notifications
Clear all

Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment - Changed formula?!

MemberMember
(@sweetmint)

Posted : 02/02/2017 1:34 am

Hi everyone.

I really gotta thank this site for helping me find my holy grail for treating my annoying acne years ago, which turned out to be Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment. I've been using it for probably 5+ years now and it has done a really great job on keeping my face virtually acne free. However, I've discovered that in recent months, Neutrogena decided to change the formula entirely without any sort of notification, warning, or announcement. Instead of the 15 ingredients they previously used (which you can still find on pretty much all sites that has this product), they opted to only use 8 ingredients now and instead of being manufactured in Canada, it is now manufactured in Mexico. This new version of their product has made me breakout SO much and it has been the cause of my stress for about 2 weeks now. I am utterly and completely disappointed and I feel so hopeless because I have no other alternative I know of that works for me now.

I'd really love some recommendations as replacements for this product. If any of you have experienced this as well, please share as well. Currently the only other product I've tried is Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream and it makes my face burn slightly so that's definitely out of the question.

Please give me whatever suggestions you have and thanks so much for reading! (not sure if it matters, but if anyone is curious about the ingredient changes, let me know and I can list them out)

You liked
MemberMember
(@94ess12)

Posted : 02/26/2017 2:48 am

I've been having the same exact problem!! This site saved me about 4 years ago. I started using a regimen of Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser with Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment and Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer. My skin was completely clear for more than 3 years. Then all of a sudden about 6 months ago the Clean & Clear cleanser didn't seem to be foaming as much as usual (obviously due to a formula change) and my skin started getting worse. A few weeks later, I ran out of the On-the-Spot treatment and bought a new one, only to find that the ointment was almost completely clear instead of the usual white. My skin is horrible now!! I've tried all other Clean & Clear facial cleansers but most of them have beads in them that are way too irritating and have caused more breakouts. I also tried Cetaphil and Neutrogena cleansers that left my skin way too oily. I'm desperate to find something that works, especially after thinking my acne was gone forever when I discovered this site years ago! I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful suggestions but I thought I would at least let you know that you're not alone. Please let us know if you find anything that works!

You liked
MemberMember
(@sweetmint)

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:35 pm

Thanks for replying, I thought for sure I couldn't be the only one since bad reviews have been going around for this product lately. 

So here's some good news (hopefully); I was searching through acne treatments and trying to find ones that had similar ingredients with the original Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment and I actually found one that has the exact same original ingredients. It's called "Targeted Acne Spot Treatment" and it's sold and made by CVS. Here's the link to their product. You can check the ingredients with the product on Neutrogena's site (they still haven't changed the ingredient list, unsurprisingly) and it all matches up.

I've yet to go out and buy it but I'm planning to as soon as I can. I usually think store-made brands that are copycats aren't as effective as the originals but in this case I'm willing to give it a try. Let me know if you get it and how it works out for you if you do :)

You liked
MemberMember
(@sweetmint)

Posted : 03/04/2017 3:39 pm

On 2/26/2017 at 1:48 AM, 94ess12 said:

I've been having the same exact problem!! This site saved me about 4 years ago. I started using a regimen of Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser with Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment and Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer. My skin was completely clear for more than 3 years. Then all of a sudden about 6 months ago the Clean & Clear cleanser didn't seem to be foaming as much as usual (obviously due to a formula change) and my skin started getting worse. A few weeks later, I ran out of the On-the-Spot treatment and bought a new one, only to find that the ointment was almost completely clear instead of the usual white. My skin is horrible now!! I've tried all other Clean & Clear facial cleansers but most of them have beads in them that are way too irritating and have caused more breakouts. I also tried Cetaphil and Neutrogena cleansers that left my skin way too oily. I'm desperate to find something that works, especially after thinking my acne was gone forever when I discovered this site years ago! I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful suggestions but I thought I would at least let you know that you're not alone. Please let us know if you find anything that works!

Forgot to quote you last time so hopefully you'll get the notification this time. Please see my reply above :)

You liked