Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone tried Vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@uhmeeeeeeelia)

Posted : 01/31/2017 9:30 pm

Hey everyone! I've been dealing with moderate acne for about 8 months since quitting  the birth control pill. I've tried A LOT of over the counter and prescription medications/treatments to try to get my skin clear again. I've come across a lot of information about taking vitamin A to treat acne. Has anyone had any success? I understand that because vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, it is possible to take too much... And over time you can develop liver damage. So I'm making sure to be extremely careful while approaching this. Just hoping someone has some input :) Thanks so much!

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 02/01/2017 7:44 am

You can read reviews on this very site about people who've tried using vitamin A supplements to help with their acne; http://www.acne.org/natures-way-vitamin-a-reviews-486/

I'm actually trying this myself at the moment - just a low dose of 5,000 IUs once a day (the daily recommended amount). I've been doing this for almost two weeks. I have to say that since taking the vitamin A my skin has had a fair few breakouts so I'm not really sure if 1. the dosage I'm taking is too low to really make a difference or 2. the vitamin A is just purging my skin. Either way it's a little frustrating right now and I'm not really sure how best to proceed.

I've certainly noticed a dryness in my skin/lips with just the 5,000 IUs so it's definitely doing something...

I may try doubling up and taking 10,000 IUs a day for the next week and see if I notice any improvement. If I continue to breakout I may stop taking the supplements for the time being.

MemberMember
(@uhmeeeeeeelia)

Posted : 02/01/2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for attaching that link!

How would you classify your acne? Mild, moderate, severe?

5,000 IUs is definitely on the lower side... The one that I recently purchased is 8,000 IUs and it says that's the recommended daily dose. Today will be day 3 of taking it so it's too soon for me to say, but I'm really hoping it works.

Really hoping this is just your skin purging and that you'll see the results you want!

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 02/03/2017 6:32 am

I would say mild, yes but on occasion I can have a moderate breakout, if that makes sense?

Perhaps the recommended IU's is different dependent on location (UK here) I'm not sure? I'm quite slim/short anyway so I've stuck with the 5,000 IUs for now. I contemplated upping to 10,000 IUs but was worried it might increase the amount of breakouts I was having.

Just passed the 2 week mark now and in the past few days I've maybe had 2-3 very small little whiteheads. Everything else that had come up at the start of the week has gone down/started to dry up. I'm hoping that going into week 3 I will see some more positive results. As I say, I understand it's a low dose I'm on so it might be taking that bit longer to see results than if I was ingesting 20,000 IUs etc.

MemberMember
(@jared1)

Posted : 02/11/2017 12:31 am

When I went to the dermatologist, she recommended I take 10,000 IUs of vitamin A for a few months, and I noticed results pretty quickly and no longer take the supplement. Not sure if I'm allowed to link what I used?

MemberMember
(@jakeh)

Posted : 02/11/2017 3:28 am

I take Vitamin A and it helps with keeping pores clear and keeping sebum production down. I would just recommend to take it with Vitamin D at a 1:1 ratio or something close. Because Vitamin A and Vitamin D both compete for the same receptors in the body, a unbalance of the two results in health complications you simply do not want.

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 02/13/2017 6:33 am

I've stopped Vitamin A after 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks I was on 5,000 IUs and my skin was so-so - a few breakouts but nothing major. I upped to 10,000IUs on the third week and got more breaksouts. I've now come off Vitamin A and for the last few days had really bad breakouts so I'm not too happy.

MemberMember
(@eyeball)

Posted : 03/13/2017 1:16 am

On 1/31/2017 at 8:30 PM, Uhmeeeeeeelia said:

Hey everyone! I've been dealing with moderate acne for about 8 months since quitting  the birth control pill. I've tried A LOT of over the counter and prescription medications/treatments to try to get my skin clear again. I've come across a lot of information about taking vitamin A to treat acne. Has anyone had any success? I understand that because vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, it is possible to take too much... And over time you can develop liver damage. So I'm making sure to be extremely careful while approaching this. Just hoping someone has some input :) Thanks so much!

yea it helps a liiittle dont expect anything major. Zinc is okay Too
...water!