Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling (derma pen) with or without PRP

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 01/30/2017 8:25 am

I'm 26, light skinned, have acne scars and polluted skin (trying to combat the latter with peelings to some success). I believe my acne scars are mild, they're definitely not deep, they look like spots. I can post pictures, or if someone would be nice enough I'd send a PM with the worst lightning possible to show my face :) Anyway, I've heard that in some cases dermapen is used by beautician not a doctor. I'm definitely going to try derma pen but my question is - some suggested a micro needling (derma pen) session with PRP, some suggested doing derma pen this week and PRP the next week. Some claim that doing both at the same time speeds up healing process and it simply works better. Others are convinced that it'd be too much needling. Also I have my doubts. Do I need a vitamin mesotherapy or PRP at all? Oh and one person recommended pixel peel (micro needling with some TCA but I don't think it'll work). So please give me an opinion - do I need a vampire lift or not? :) I'd be very grateful for your your, you're an amazing community :)

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/30/2017 8:54 am

PRP does little other than to increase healing time, and slightly reduce pores. It's not very noticeable.

Pm me for more help

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/30/2017 9:56 am

So everyone else can share learning, she ended up not having scars 😉 IT was red marks or PIE also known as hyperpigmentation.
We have done a excellent write up on this under the faq below in my signature, and the skin section ... look for PIE. These are often the after effect of acne, picking, or any type of dermatology issue, they can heal quickly or take a long time. Melanin is trapped with the redness (basically wounds).

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 01/30/2017 10:20 am

I knew it after researching this forum! It's very helpful because so many people referred it as acne scarring so I did too. Lemon jThanks for clarification. Will micro needling help with my issue? This one or pores? In short, will it do any good? :) I'll reply here just in case later on someone will have similar issue. PRP was described to me as this miracle treatment and something to stop anti-acing process (I'm 26 so they couldn't argue that I have issues with terrible wrinkles). They swore I'd be glowing. But it's pricey so probably not worth it. Or maybe it'll have some positive effects? My mind is blown, I'm not sure what treatments to take!

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/30/2017 10:33 am

TCA peels, would be great for you by a beautician. Microneedle (makes new collagen - slowly) is great if you want to do it at home, have you googled derminator. IT's the cost of one treatment. For pores TCA, for Redness there is a bunch of stuff to try in that link I gave to you (below i my signature - goto the faq- then the skin section - and pie). Basics are honey and aloe, if that does not work there is retin a, steroids from a derm, v-beam works the best but its pricey, its laser for redness only. Will take a few of them. Some try hydrocortisone cream for a week (it thins skin).

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 01/30/2017 2:07 pm

thank you. Should I choose TCA peels on its own or Pixel Peel (combination of micro needling and TCA). I see they're highly invasive, aren't they?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/31/2017 6:47 am

You could do either, the pixel peel could be good as it does both tca and microneedle, depends on your down time

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 01/31/2017 10:58 am

would you recommend any other salon treatments? (I'll do everything you suggested that I can do at home but some things I shouldn't do on my own)
edit: I have a sensitive skin and I can have pixel peel done on friday, i suppose I have to take the whole week off or maybe less time? *just not to scare people*

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/01/2017 9:47 am

Yes you could try the pinxel treatment, Tell them you have extra sensitive skin. You will peel in 4 or so days after. IF that is too much you could always have her do a test spot and see how you react. Some are less than a week, you will be red, when the skin falls off thats the best. To do this make sure your skin has lots of vaseline or triple antibiotic cream and every day twice a day do dilute white vinegar with water, pat it all over your face with gauze, this will make the skin fall off quicker, and disinfect.

Your skin is pretty good, you could do some filler if you wanted in the cheeks/

Many girls get photo facials or IPL treatments. This can make colors less obvious.

It depends how your skin reacts the first time what to try next 😉

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 02/03/2017 5:24 pm

Thank you, so many helpful suggestions you read my mind. I was thinking about getting my cheeks done but the tricky part is knowing someone who is skilled at this. Would you do implants or something less parmanent like restyle?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/03/2017 5:47 pm

Fillers like Juvederm, & Sculptra are good, try HA fillers to start with you can dissolve if you don't like it.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 02/03/2017 6:32 pm

I've heard about it, dissolving is a huuuuuge plus, I'll definitely look into it and find someone who does it subtly and as naturally looking as possible. Or I'll give myself time, how much time and pain we go through to look good.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 02/08/2017 7:18 am

update: my doctor suggested just micro needling to see how my skin reacts and then combine it with TCA peels. So if anyone has PIE then don't try it! I was peeling very slightly for less than a day and that was it. I see no improvement whatsoever. (it might have been someone's fault but either way I'm disappointed. Or maybe it takes time to see results but basically after 1,5 day I could have easily put my make up on). I see that some celebrity clinic opened up another office in my city and they offer BBL. Do you think for my scars only one session would be needed? I also have no idea if BBL is the same as IPL and the only difference is marketing. What to do. *btw, I think I'm going for juvederme this spring. fingers crossed I don't look like chipmunk. Would you do the jaw as well?*

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/08/2017 9:45 am

BBL and IPL and photofacial are three terms for a class of device that is not a true laser- it uses a flash lamp to produce light energy of many wavelengths at the same time. Just like lasers, different devices offer a wide range of power outputs. High-energy treatments create laser-like effects. BBL is Sciton's trademarked name for their IPL machine which is far more powerful and controllable than previous generation IPL devices.

Well all of these from TCA, Microneedle, and even BBL take several treatments. If you only had 1,5 days ad were ok for makeup, it obviously was not strong or deep ;-). BBL is IPL just Sciton's name for it they all take several treatments. I have seen some do 4 to 6 of them.

Nothing will get rid of your hyperpigmentation in one session, but Vbeam is strong for reds. It's a "vascular" aka veins laser, there are other brands.You won't look like a chipmunk unless you buy too much filler and let them over inject for profit. You can always start low and come back. I think you need it higher up on your cheeks, and not so much in the middle. Jaw and filler does not do much, you could try, around the mouth i ok. Girls have heart shaped faces, guys get their jaw all filled out

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 03/01/2017 10:40 am

hey, so would you recommend me BBL or simple IPL will suffice? (the price tag). or another peeling? I'm looking for vbeam alternatives because after googling vbeam + my hometown nothing came up. Finding a good place where they really want to help you and not rip off is difficult. After all, like you mentioned, what's better than a patient coming back every other week. (someone recommended without seeing me fotona and discovery pq lasers). I really hate how everyone wants to make money ;P can you give me the other names for beam like laser? (if you say it's the best option). I'm starting home-made regimen right now, I was sick and voila, two acne spots came up. Hate it :P

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 03/01/2017 7:48 pm

highly would NOT recommend dermapens without a dermatologist's supervision. I've heard way too many horror stories from those.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/02/2017 4:15 am

I suppose BBL or IPL will work, your doctor will know best. IT could take up to 10 treatments. Laser has more power so it's a bit less treatments for vascular lasers excel, picosure, vbeam, etc. Don't Google V-beam, Google "laser veins" "photofacial" or just search your local med spas and see what's on their page.The VBeam is a "pulsed dye laser", which means that the laser energy is delivered in pulses and a dye is used to generate laser beams of different colors. Since the VBeam is used to treat dilated "blood vessels", as in "rosacea", it is often called a vascular laser.

Fotona = No

Microneedling at home is safe and fine (Do not use any topicals except pure HA). It's a simple procedure. Derms even sell them to the public. Owndoc's Derminator is professional quality for a cheap price. It's the only thing we have to do at home since we don't have lasers. I have read Dr horror stories so don't get me started with topical (not to be injected into the skin) and combining too many treatments with microneedle. Clean your face with Hibiclens or iodine followed by rubbing alcohol 91%. Make sure you clean your needles or use new ones per owndocs manual.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 03/05/2017 10:00 am

Oh i see, I have sensitive and struggle with redness so I'll kill two birds with one stone. Up to 10 treatments sounds.. pricey. Since one session is around 300-400 it can set me back 3000 and I'm slightly terrified they'll work on the lowest setting available to make me come back more. BBL now is promoted by some celebrities' doctor here so I thought it must be a great procedure. Thanks for the clarification. My mum's friend once complain "it's such a pity we don't live in a capital because that's where everyone with money goes and they spend on several procedures, some necessary, some not".

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/05/2017 10:09 am

When I say 10 that is max, if your not seeing any results by 2 or 3 skip it.
BBL can be quicker than IPL, it's more powerful. Before you book with them make them tell you approximately how many treatments you'll need. You could even do a test spot. Even with Vbeam you can need 3 to 6 treatments, and it can not work on some so then a photofacial is used / ipl.

There has to be some doctor with long pulse lasers or QuadroStar Pro Yellow Laser, excel, vbeam, picosure, or any Long Pulsed Nd YAG. Some are using yellow laser now but they advertise them for vascular, vein, or redness. Even some tattoo removal lasers can be used for this.

Give 1 treatment of BBL a try, see if it lightens even a tiny bit.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 03/05/2017 1:32 pm

Oh Nd Yag is easily available, they offered it to me instead of fraxel but also told me that the recovery time takes at least 10 days and it would bbe awful. *I asked about clearing up my whole face, not just spots though*. The doctor told me she could set parameters not to be that high (and that I'd be able to put my make up on almost immediately but what's the point) but it wouldn't be as effective. So I'm torn. Sometimes you just feel that someone is off, especially when that person looks strange and as a plastic surgeon that's not a good thing.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/06/2017 4:42 am

I don't remember Nd:yag being awful recovery time,, but I don't have a issue with recovery time. Have done all these treatments. They all take down time. Anything with no down time, works very little, except say vbeam, it's just some bruising possibly. The Quadrostar pro or yellow laser for this also has no down time. ND:Yag has ablative and non ablative ones, the non ablative have no down time.

The lighter they go the less it does, Vitamin K helps your bruises go away quicker.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 03/06/2017 11:13 am

Do you think laser Nd-Yag Q-switch Spectra would be ok? Would you recommend doing the whole face or just the problem areas? I can afford 2-4 days downtime, not more.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/07/2017 7:00 am

Yes that would work, might take more treatments. But give it a try good start.

MemberMember
(@liriel)

Posted : 03/09/2017 8:36 am

your link doesn't look like carbon peel hmm *btw, the patients tries so hard not to wince but can't help it ;p*

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/11/2017 4:21 am

Carbon peel? Just the laser without carbon is fine, one does not need carbon on their face. It does not hurt done a few of them. Just very warm.