Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane Make Scars Better Or Worse

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 01/26/2017 6:27 pm

Does accutane improve or worsen EXISTING scars, and does it help new scarring from forming. I've read A LOT of conflicting stuff on this. My Derm said it can improve scarring because it changes how you scar/ makes your skin turn over better. However, a lot of people said that it CAUSED scarring. Others say it helps. I'm very confused. I have some old shallow scars, that recently look a lot more profound. I'm guessing it's because accutane makes your skin dry. I feel like people haven't been that active on the forums and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 01/27/2017 2:24 pm

This site has become fucking useless

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 01/28/2017 12:30 am

I think it's going to be mixed reviews with anything...I think accutane slows wound healing...I didn't personally experience that as accutane worked wonderful for me but it dries out the skin and the oils which have healing properties. It's why people with oilier skin types usually have less wrinkles. But if you have existing scars I suppose it could dry out out enough to peel off superficial scarring to reveal fresh skin..I didn't peel while on accutane tho..in fact didn't even really experience dryness..I drank a crapton of water and ate fish every single day tho and no sugar whatsoever so perhaps that helped

When i went on, I was very scarred about scarring...I was very careful not to break open any cysts..I would put ichthammol ointment on them to draw them out and then Neosporin after to heal them and provide a moist environment. I believe this helped prevent scarring while on Accuatane.

meanwhile I'm over here now having my skin fucked up by a topical retinoid..which IS causing scarring ...and for many it's the other way around...

but yea accutane may make scars look worse while on it because it's so dry but may not change them one way or the other permanently..then again there sure are a lot of horrors stories so I can only tell you my own experience

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/28/2017 2:29 am

Accutane isnt gonna work for scars. Its just gonna cause more scars

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 01/28/2017 7:46 pm

17 hours ago, Adeel2111 said:

Accutane isnt gonna work for scars. Its just gonna cause more scars

19 hours ago, BrokenPorEcelain said:

I think it's going to be mixed reviews with anything...I think accutane slows wound healing...I didn't personally experience that as accutane worked wonderful for me but it dries out the skin and the oils which have healing properties. It's why people with oilier skin types usually have less wrinkles. But if you have existing scars I suppose it could dry out out enough to peel off superficial scarring to reveal fresh skin..I didn't peel while on accutane tho..in fact didn't even really experience dryness..I drank a crapton of water and ate fish every single day tho and no sugar whatsoever so perhaps that helped

When i went on, I was very scarred about scarring...I was very careful not to break open any cysts..I would put ichthammol ointment on them to draw them out and then Neosporin after to heal them and provide a moist environment. I believe this helped prevent scarring while on Accuatane.

meanwhile I'm over here now having my skin fucked up by a topical retinoid..which IS causing scarring ...and for many it's the other way around...

but yea accutane may make scars look worse while on it because it's so dry but may not change them one way or the other permanently..then again there sure are a lot of horrors stories so I can only tell you my own experience

Thanks for the reply. I'm peeling Ike crazy

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/29/2017 6:15 am

Try to apply vaseline on your scars. I am not sure if it works but its wort a try