Notifications
Clear all

Too scared for accutane

MemberMember
(@atownfan)

Posted : 01/24/2017 4:49 pm

Well I am going to see my doctor about this acne now, as it's been a problem since I was about 13/14 years old. I'm 17 now, 18 in July, and I have fucking had it with acne!!! I've tried every shitty product under the sun. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (many brands), cleansing wipes, ice, toothpaste, baking soda and NOTHING HAS WORKED. I am becoming increasingly depressed I think as a result of acne. It's off putting for girls and I totally understand why would they want to date me when all the other boys have completely clear skin? But I've had it with acne. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to find out what can be done and I'm hoping for a prescription. But NOT ACCUTANE!!!! I have read the side effects and I do not want to be suicidal or anything. I have pretty bad OCD and I'm very pedantic. The chances of severe depression and mood swings according to the NHS is 1 in 10,000, but I'm just not ready to accept that risk.

I have A-level exams in June and a uni place to get into. This drug will cause me to lose concentration and motivation (which I already lack) and I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. I know people will say everyone reacts differently but I always think the worst casescenarios. If I fail my exams, I've failed at life is the way I see it see it.

But at the same time time... I want this shit onmy face gone. I just pray to god I get something else prescribed because there isn't a cats chance in hell im king accutane.

Anyone else in this situation?

MemberMember
(@kathi)

Posted : 01/25/2017 4:16 pm

I have never in my life been a depressed person, I love my life and have always been very happy, but as soon as I read that Accutane could cause depression - I said not a chance I'd take this medication. 
Just like any medication, Accutane has its side effects and the severity of those can depend on your daily dose. I ended up going on Accutane and am taking 20mg a day for the rest of my course. I do not have any side effects except the dryness. 

I am not telling you to take it, I'm just telling you not to look at it so negatively. Your doctor is the person who says if you're suitable for this medication. It's up to you if you'll say yes or no to it. It has helped A LOT of people, and yes it HAS done damage to some people. That is why you need to be under a constant supervision of your doctor. 

And I do not understand why would you lose concentration? I'm at college and have been learning for the last 4 months for 2 exams in January and Accutane hasn't caused me to lose concentration nor has affected negatively anything related to my college. 

But of course, if you have some mental issues it would be better for you to find some alternatives. You could try changing your diet or doing TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). TCM has helped me a lot and completely natural. It is a great way to deal with acne.

Antibiotics can also be very helpful, but unfortunately for a short period of time.

Anyways, whatever you decide GOOD LUCK! :) 

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 01/26/2017 12:23 am

Well I took AccuTane and was more than fine yet I used a retinoid and got badly damaged by it...so certainly everyone is different...I know you probably want to punch me for saying that , sorry ..

...weird tho, the LAST thing I was worried about was depression or psych issues when going on
accutane..couldn't have been more depressing than the acne itself...although now I know it can be so much worse than "just" acne...please be careful with anything they end up giving you..of which retinoids are likely...esp if you think your bad enough off to be suggested accutane

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 01/26/2017 3:27 am

You know there is great alternative to Accutane! Healthy life style!:) Its all baby steps, learn how to control blood sugar, cause bad diet cause sugar spikes then boom its shows on your face.. Eat healthy sweets(well if you have sweet tooth) dried fruits, fresh fruits, and eating very healthy snacks when you watch a movie(no crackers, chips, popcorn or cookies) great snack is nuts soaked overnight(no peanuts, or flavored, or roasted nuts, cause not nutrients in them) and any fresh vegetables like cukes, celery, carrots, bell pepper. Use simple face moisturizer, simple no harsh acids face cleanser, and as toner apply green tea before face lotion. Cut soda drink and substitute with healthy drink like black tea or green tea. Start taking vitamins like chlorophyll, vitamin B complex, vitamin E, fish oil, vitamin D
Good luck!

Best brain stimulation and concentration whole black peppercorn!:)) just don't take on empty stomach, take 8 whole black peppercorn and swallow with help of water. Take when ever you can't concentrate or very sleepy(warning don't take at evening if, well if you are not studying, cause it really makes your brain work

Remember junk food will make you feel like junk

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/26/2017 7:05 am

On 1/24/2017 at 9:49 PM, aTownFan said:

Well I am going to see my doctor about this acne now, as it's been a problem since I was about 13/14 years old. I'm 17 now, 18 in July, and I have fucking had it with acne!!! I've tried every shitty product under the sun. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (many brands), cleansing wipes, ice, toothpaste, baking soda and NOTHING HAS WORKED. I am becoming increasingly depressed I think as a result of acne. It's off putting for girls and I totally understand why would they want to date me when all the other boys have completely clear skin? But I've had it with acne. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to find out what can be done and I'm hoping for a prescription. But NOT ACCUTANE!!!! I have read the side effects and I do not want to be suicidal or anything. I have pretty bad OCD and I'm very pedantic. The chances of severe depression and mood swings according to the NHS is 1 in 10,000, but I'm just not ready to accept that risk.

I have A-level exams in June and a uni place to get into. This drug will cause me to lose concentration and motivation (which I already lack) and I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. I know people will say everyone reacts differently but I always think the worst casescenarios. If I fail my exams, I've failed at life is the way I see it see it.

But at the same time time... I want this shit onmy face gone. I just pray to god I get something else prescribed because there isn't a cats chance in hell im king accutane.

Anyone else in this situation?

Definitely do not take accutane - it can ruin your life - fact!

MemberMember
(@kathi)

Posted : 01/26/2017 7:59 am

Yes it can just like any other medication, and no it doesn't have to - also a fact.

MemberMember
(@98ba)

Posted : 01/26/2017 11:59 am

My opinion on Accutane is that the risks are not worth the rewards. I would really advocate AGAINST using it. Many people are suffering serious side effects decades after using the medication.

Have you tried anyazelaic acid products such as Skinoren or Finacea?

MemberMember
(@user555318)

Posted : 01/26/2017 10:52 pm

OMG we are like long lost twins or something. i turn 18 in aug.! and i have also struggled with deep cystic acne for years. i have also been suggested accutane but i felt the same apprehension as you, part of my decision was also that i did something stupid to my clear skin (overdosed on 10% bp) and it has been permanently dry ever since (altho i am breaking out now, hence the accutane suggestion). ik accutane dries ppl out more so that is a reason i dont think i should use it. but i know that my acne is not responding to topicals and antibiotics anymore so i need to do something to get it under control. my parents are both ivy-league educated professors and have reviewed the data and have concluded that there aren't real risks because there is already a correlation between teenagers and depression and there is already a correlation between acne sufferers and IBs, etc. but enough about me.

everyone is different and while some experience no side effects from this drug, others experience moderate and still others experience horror stories. i would rely on your gut instinct - acne is common and most of my peers at school have it but the weird things that accutane does to the skin are uncharted territory and can be permanent. but maybe accutane is right for you and maybe it isnt, whatever you decide i hope it helps.

I also am insecure because of my acne but i try to remember that no matter who you are, there is someone much worse off in the world who would kill to be you. furthermore everyone struggles with something and everyone feels insecure about their flaws. in an ideal world i could have chosen to get my mom's  skin (she never had acne) instead of my dad's acne prone italian skin - but then i would not have the  tan skin that gives me a more exotic look and i would sunburn easily. also, i have friends with not only the acne but deep scars that i always notice and they exude confidence. just today i was with a  girl who has the scars (very noticeable deep ones) and she is such a happy person and super popular - i admire her so much. in tenth grade a friend with severe acne (literally not one square cm of his face was clear) was dating a guy with perfect skin, and i thought "how will they kiss without feeling all the bumps and scars on my friend's face??" since then i have seen them kiss a million times with my perfect skin friend unafraid to get all over his boyfriend's face. they are still dating today and the acne friend is copletely clear but it never bothered his bf. as a girl i can tell you that most of us are not turned off by acne and those who are are just shallow and not worth anyone's attention :) we only live once; we cant spend precious time being sad. good luck on your exams - im going to university next year, too! my dream univ!

also i forgot to mention that i use meds that arent accutane (differin, aczone, etc) and before i messed up my skin with the bp they gave me completely clear skin, so you def have options!