Notifications
Clear all

Red marks fading

MemberMember
(@paleoherewego)

Posted : 01/23/2017 12:33 pm

Hey guys. I wanted to show my PIE / PIH progress from a major breakout in April 2016 to this point. I've had acne since I was 11, so 19 years in total but I have had 2 rounds of accutane which gave me completely clear skin for 4 years the first time and 1.5 years the second time before relapse. I have some superficial scarring but mostly PIE and PIH that seems to last forever on my cheeks!

I was was able to calm down my skin and clear most of the acne by late August 2016 (4-5 months of cysts, pustules and blackheads/whiteheads) using Duac and differin.

Since September 2016 ive been using differin at night and 2.5% BP to spot treat. 

Ive found these products helpful for fading the red marks (PIE):
vaseline
Aloevera gel 
Bepanthen moisturising cream (not the nappy rash stuff)
-essentially it seems to be all about moisture and gentleness for PIE. Ive decided not to do laser until Ive given my skin 2 years to heal on its own, which it seems to be doing. 

I also cut dairy out of my diet which has had a tremendous effect: less inflammation, less zits and less oil. 

Ive found these products helpful for fading brown marks (PIH):
Differin
Sallicilic Acid 2% Paula's Choice

***BP definitely clears my acne but it will also makes my brown marks worse/maybe even causes them? My acne was severe so I chose to use it to clear my skin. Now that I am clear (mostly) I use it sparingly. Everyone's different so it many not have this effect on you. 

Here's my progress in the last 2 months. I've found that after the 4/5 month the improvement seems more rapid while the first 4 month I felt like there was no improvement. Still, it's a slow process! And there's still a long way to go.

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 01/23/2017 12:37 pm

isn't the pie or pih club great? Yeah I'm in the same boat. I get PIE/PIH very easily and I used a sunscreen that people are expecting to be recalled because of the 3rd degree burns it produces and Ima wait 2 years before I hit the cosmetic therapy. Lucky it's just one spot on my face, but it's about the size of a dime and is a deep red.

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 01/23/2017 1:06 pm

2 years? jeesuz im a guy so its not the same pain, red marks for guys suck so much more then girls, I can't wait that long, my acne is under control but I still have redmarks should I just do laser or will I break out?

MemberMember
(@paleoherewego)

Posted : 01/23/2017 2:15 pm

@DandyTsunamiThe redness fades! In my experience the first 6 months is the worst. Mines is not that obvious anymore even now and it's only been 5 months. The pictures are close up and under light so I can show the marks. If I don't do that they don't even show up in pictures. I'm waiting 2 years to let it heal naturally. I imagine it'll comtinue to fade in that time. If you look at my pictures closely you'll notice that some of the macules have disappeared entirely. If it's red there's a possibility that it is literally still healing. I'm choosing to give it that time.

I don't think pulse dye lasers break you out but if your acne isn't under control (I mean like 6+ months clear) I wouldn't laser because you might just have more marks to come. Your choice though. It's totally a personal decision. Just remember that if your acne is clear the red marks will start to fade.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/23/2017 2:30 pm

V-beam causes no marks I have had it done so many times. IT's a vascular laser, you get a mild bruise and then it heals, some take a few treatments, (they are even in groupon and day spas sometimes)... it gets rid for the red blood cells, it does nothing for the scars or skin, though it might help you not break out for a bit, stimulates healing. Some people do IPL or photofacial but this takes more treatments and works better for other colors. Vbeam is not resurfacing, people get it done all over their body. Only problem is expense can be a few hundred dollars a treatment. So some people just wait it out to heal.

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 01/24/2017 5:25 am

14 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

V-beam causes no marks I have had it done so many times. IT's a vascular laser, you get a mild bruise and then it heals, some take a few treatments, (they are even in groupon and day spas sometimes)... it gets rid for the red blood cells, it does nothing for the scars or skin, though it might help you not break out for a bit, stimulates healing. Some people do IPL or photofacial but this takes more treatments and works better for other colors. Vbeam is not resurfacing, people get it done all over their body. Only problem is expense can be a few hundred dollars a treatment. So some people just wait it out to heal.

Yes but wont I have to stop using the acne.org treatment in the downtime while waiting for my skin to heal from the laser?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/24/2017 6:04 am

On that specific treated area, yes,.... around it no. Would you put acid, BP, etc on a bruise, probably not. It's a very short period of down time, just like any minor bruise would be. I am just more cautious until things heal. Using Arnica Montana and Vitamin K, gentle soap and moisturizer or pure HA serum instead. Sunscreen of course. In a few days your back to Acne.org regimen anywhere you want. Alot of doctors if you are zit city, won't treat you until your semi clear for liability.

MemberMember
(@paleoherewego)

Posted : 02/09/2017 7:44 am

I've stuck to the same plan and seen a lot of improvement. Aloe Vera definitely accelerates things. These refs before / after over the last 6 weeks. 

E869749D-9D66-40A3-97A3-2C1E3EC33853.jpg

28235987-A787-4216-9B03-56214BBA3A2E.jpg

5E3A0614-D0C3-4339-961C-3BA37FE07E13.jpg

68DE073F-84F8-46CA-A7FA-2E49D2EAF139.jpg