Notifications
Clear all

Claravis/Accutane/Isotretinoin Journey

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/22/2017 11:11 am

Short background story so I don't bore people. I've had acne since I was in 6th grade but it was never severe. I've gone to lots of dermatologist but nothing ever seemed to clear up my skin completely. I always had like 1-3pimples at a time and during that time of the month is when i had 3-4 pop out. In 2016 my acne got so much worse thats when I went to a new dermatologist and she decided to put me on isotretinoin. I was given 30mg for the first month along with prednisone (20mg pills twice a day)for the first 14 days only. So here I go...

Day 1: First day of taking pill. Felt nothing but excitement to start the pill.

Day 4: I feel like this morning I woke up with clearer skin and as the day went on it got better? I feel tired and a bit sore but Im not sure if its all in my head or its real. I did get one by the eyebrowand bridge of nose (I dont know how to describe the position) I had gotten one in that same spot before so maybe thats why it came back.

Day 8: Had a bad nose bleed.

Day 10: Kinda have a lot of acne going on right now which makes me sad becauseon January 6, I had clearer skin. Also, lips started to feel a tiny bit dry now. My bottom one kinda stings a little bc of how chapped it is but they were chapped even before starting this. This morning I got a nose bleed too. Scalp itches a lot and does feel dry

Day 15: Took last pill ofprednisone.

Day 16: Ive been on the pill for 2 full weeks now. HOLY SHIT Istopped taking prednisonetoday. Yesterday Itook just 1 out of the 2 Ihad to take a day because Ijust had 1 left. i broke out soooo bad today. Ihave a huge one on the side by the cheek kinda and it hurts because of how big it is. Igot lotsssss of little white heads all over my face.

Day 17: My skin was at its worse it has EVER been. And they were painful as fuck. I called my dermatologist to see if I could get more prednisone. Tonight I felt so tired like physically tired like my body felt a bit sore. The feeling I get when Im about to be sick or I am about to get my period. But I still have a few weeks till that so it can't be that.

Day 18: I had whiteheads and cysts ALLLLL OVER my face. They hurt. Badly. I was given moreprednisone but not as much mgas before. For the first 14 days I was supposed to take one 20mgTWICE a day so a total of 40mga day. This time I only got 10mgand ONCE a day. Hopefully it helps a bit, I mean so far I see a bit of a difference but it could all be in my head. I have been putting aloe vera all over my face all day today so it could be that helping out too. They dont hurt as bad anymore either except for the chin one. My face feels like as if I have a mask on like I can barely move it. I believe this might be because of the aloe vera because I just applied this to my forehead and it feels the same way too lmfao. A lot of the whiteheads popped while I was showering because I scrubbed my face pretty ruffly. I lowkey wanted them to pop because they were gross and big. I will be drinking some chamomile tea because I heard that helps w inflammation so maybe itll help my face as well???

Day 19: Stayed in bed all day. I feel all sad and ugly because of how many I have. Been putting aloe vera all over my face to help soothe it. Btw, its natural. My mom has a plant in our house.

Day 20: I just finished my second package. I woke up to more acne. WHEN WILL IT STOP. I mean technically I've only had this bad initial breakout for 4 days but like I said before, my skin was never this bad. So seeing more than 20 dots all over my face freaks me outttt. I'm adding to this after I posted it already... my skin is better than this morning. I have like 5 big ones and the others shrunk a lot. I know its probably because of the prednisone... does anyone know if I get off of it again if I will break out again like crazy? I will finish taking them February 3rd the day I go see my dermatologist again but I finish my 1 month supply of Claravis 2 days before that.... anyone know??? I am so scared my skin will freak out again. Well I am assuming my skin is done freaking out we will see tomorrow how my skin is doing.

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/23/2017 11:04 am

Day 21: (Morning Update)I woke up to a lot of small white heads. I don't think I got any cysts which is good. The other ones from the days before are getting smaller but are still there and very visible. I keep getting some around the lips? They are small white heads but last time I had a huge cyst right under my lip by the lip line that it made my lip swollen. This is day five of the initial break out so that means one less day of this horrible thing, right?

(Night Update) So I wanted to to go Ulta to exchange a concealer I had bought last weekend but as soon as I started applying foundation I looked like a Crunch bar. HOLY SHIT. Without makeup it looks like as if I have a lot less but with makeup it looks so bad. I took the makeup off so fast and went back to bed. I have so many tiny ones all over my face like by all over my face I mean forehead, cheeks (not as much there), chin and I have about 10 all over my philtrum (upper lip). They are all small but so many. I have bigger ones too but only about 5 of those spread across my whole face. I mean, they are much better than they were on day 17/18 but still bad. I hope they can go down by this weekend because I have plans for that day for so long now. I also won't be going to work this week because of how bad my face is. So i need this to go down for next week so I can go back to work!

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/24/2017 4:58 pm

Day 22: I HAD TYPED SO MUCH ALREADY FOR TODAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WENT BACK TO THE PREVIOUS PAGE AND NOW I HAVE TO START OVER. (hits command A and command C) So I woke up to like 4 TINY whiteheads and by tiny I mean tinyyy af. I don't think I have gotten any new ones other than those 4 tiny whiteheads so I am very happy because I have been in my room really upset all these days because of my ugly face. I had some that were starting to grow bigger yesterday which today did grow a bit more. I can actually see the left side of my chin now its not all covered with whiteheads/cysts yayyy. I'm so afraid of getting too excited about this and them coming back next week or even tomorrow since it seems like 50 can pop up all in one day ALL overnight. I'm pretty sure the smaller ones that I currently have, that have not grown out yet and still have to grow, will grow and be all big and gross but other than that I am OK. I applied foundation before showering today and it looked a lot better than yesterday which is fucking crazy that just a day difference does. Still looking a bit like a Crunch bar but nothing like yesterday. I decided not to go into work all this week but I will for sure go back Monday and hopefully by then I only have about 4-5. I am totally ok with having 4-5 now which is so funny because the whole reason I went on accutane was to stop those 4-5 showing up before. Now I think 4-5 is ok which is so sad. But I know in the end it will all be worth it. I've been trying to stay positive (except for yesterday after I applied makeup) because of all the people on here and YouTube but its very hard. Just gotta remind me every day that this initial breakout is only temporary and hopefully by this summer I can have nice and smooth skin.

MemberMember
(@mysticalheavens56)

Posted : 01/24/2017 11:25 pm

I am following your log, thanks for following mine!! I hope your initial breakout goes away ASAP  my goal is also to have smooth skin this summer. 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/25/2017 8:18 pm

21 hours ago, mysticalheavens56 said:

I am following your log, thanks for following mine!! I hope your initial breakout goes away ASAP  my goal is also to have smooth skin this summer. 

Here's to smooth skin for summer 17 ™¥ï¸  Good luck with your journey! 

Day 23: Well this morning I woke up with no new acne, like not even a single whitehead. YAY! I'm so afraid of them coming back when/if my dermatologist changes my dosage. I'm getting kind of worried because I finish my 30th pill next Wednesday but I don't go see my dermatologist till Friday and then it takes a day or so for the isotretinoin to be ready :( I will call her and see if there is any problem with that probably next Monday. The current acne that I do have is old and slowly shrinking more and more. One of the cysts that I had on my chin came to surface finally. It has been there for a week and that was the painful one. I do feel one coming right between my eyebrows hopefully its small and goes away fast. I guess right now I am just waiting for the ones I have to clear up. 
I've had absolutely no side affects since day 17 and I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Yeah my lips are dry but not more than the usual winter dry lips. 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/26/2017 7:37 am

Day 24: OMG its 6:30AM but I have to update about this day already. I woke up with no new ones and the other ones except 2 are getting smaller. I thought I had to get used to waking up to 10 new ones or at least a couple of whiteheads but nope! Not for the past 2-3 days yay! The 2 that didn't shrink didn't really get bigger just didn't shrink with the rest of them. I love prednisone so much wow (I'm pretty sure that's what helped my skin again)

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 01/28/2017 10:13 pm

Day 26: I decided to stop updating so freakin much unless I notice something drastic. I will update on Friday for sure after I go back to my dermatologist. I wore makeup for the first time in a week and half and wow.... I put it on at around 9AM and came back home at around 6PM and it was still perfect. Usually my nose was super oily and it would slide off of it but it didn't today. I have had NO new acne since day 23... so that's 4 days of no new acne!!!! I am kind of scared of posting this and tomorrow waking up with lots of new ones :( The bumps that I still have are from the initial breakout, which there are still quite a lot (6-7 around the sides of my mouth and upper lip and one on my chin) but they are drying out. They are not "active" just not flat... if that makes any sense? My skin is dry but not to a point where I desperately need moisturizer. I'm pretty happy right now. I know my face won't be 100% clear from now on especially when my dosage gets bumped up butttttt I'm still pretty happy. :) 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/03/2017 3:21 pm

Day 30????: So I took my 30th pill yesterday but technically it was day 31 because I did skip one day since I wasn't going to go back to my dermatologist till today. I went to my pharmacy and they said it won't be ready till Monday... so I will be 3 days without the medicine. The acne that I had from the IB has flattened out except for one on my chin that rose back up on like day 27 but has dried up again. I did get a cyst between my eyebrows thats pretty big but you could barely even tell its there with makeup. I also got one almost on my scalp on my forehead? I did get it a day after I dyed my hair so I don't know if thats what caused it.
My dermatologist has left me on 30mg for one more month because she's afraid that if I get bumped up I will get flare ups again and she is trying to keep me off of the prednisone now. She said she wants me to go slow on this treatment so about 8 months? I told her I didn't want that because it would end up costing me a lot of money so hopefully next month I can get bumped up higher. What I wanted was to be done with this treatment by July so hopefully I can do that. I will talk to her about it next month. I did want to stay on 30mg this month because I have a special event the beginning of March and I didn't want to have a flare up for it so that is why I didn't bother asking her to get bumped up to try to finish sooner. What she told me was that if I finish sooner and get bumped up more I would get bad flare ups since thats what happened this month when I started and that might cause scarring and she does not want that but it would be more expensive to do that. Ah so I think I would rather go faster and risk getting flare ups than go slow and pay so much money each month. She did tell me that she would put me back on prednisone if I needed to. Hopefully I won't this month.

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/04/2017 10:57 pm

So I can't say day 31/32 because I won't get my new months prescription till Monday but I have an update. I am breaking out :( I woke up with no new ones this morning but 3 small ones popped up throughout the day. I am probably going to call my dermatologist Monday and ask for more prednisone at least for like 5mg and I will take one every other day? I kind of feel like more are starting to pop up, either that or I am just so dry my face itches? I am so afraid of breaking out badly again ugh 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/06/2017 5:29 pm

Day 31: I just took my 31st pill because there was an issue with my pharmacy and my dermatologist gave them my wrong iPledge # so they couldn't give it to me Saturday and they couldn't do it Sunday either bc they didn't have any in stock so I had to wait till today. The ones I had Saturday dried up and yesterday I didn't get any at all but today I woke up to ONE whitehead and I was fine with that then after work I go home to see that I got about 4-5 small bumps on my face. (all on the sides of my face closer to mouth/chin WHERE I NEVER BROKE OUT BEFORE ACCUTANE. LIKE SERIOUSLY?) I thought I had stopped breaking out but it was only because of the prednisone. I called my dermatologist asap and she said she would give me something weird prednisone. I forgot what she called it. I guess I will be taking 40mg for one week, 30mg for the next week, 20mg for the next after that and 10mg for the final week. Which I think 40mg is a lot because I was at only 10mg for the ending of the first month and I was fine. I'm afraid she won't give me any more so I might take just 10mg a day? Even every other day? I don't know. My face right now is NOWHERE near how bad it got during that initial breakout but I am afraid more will keep popping up and I will have to be stuck in my room for a week again. Right now I do not have any side affects at all except for dry lips but they are not bad at all just a bit drier than the usual. Other than that I am doing so good! :) 

MemberMember
(@jessicae89)

Posted : 02/09/2017 10:46 pm

Hi! I was put on 30mgs just this week after being on 10mgs for a month. In between, I was off for almost a week and a half bcuz the pharmacy and my doctor messed up :( I was also freaked out but the doc assured me that sometimes they do take people off for a week or two to help the body gain some normalcy. One huge thing I've noticed is the lack of oil-and I love it! My makeup would never last more than 4 hours and I would have to wash my hair every 2 days. I went a week without washing my hair and I could have gone longer but it just felt wrong so i washed :)

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/10/2017 6:28 pm

19 hours ago, JessicaE89 said:

Hi! I was put on 30mgs just this week after being on 10mgs for a month. In between, I was off for almost a week and a half bcuz the pharmacy and my doctor messed up :( I was also freaked out but the doc assured me that sometimes they do take people off for a week or two to help the body gain some normalcy. One huge thing I've noticed is the lack of oil-and I love it! My makeup would never last more than 4 hours and I would have to wash my hair every 2 days. I went a week without washing my hair and I could have gone longer but it just felt wrong so i washed :)

So are you back on it or still waiting? I stopped taking mine for just 3 days and got them on the 4th day till the afternoon and I swear that my skin got a bit oilier but its back to being non oily again and i absolutely love it. 

Day 35?: I have to update because my skin is doing so good again. Those 4-5 bumps that I got on Monday are nearly almost gone. I have right now ONE active one on my upper right lip, the others are just dried out. With foundation on I can literally only see that active one and its pretty small. This might be bad, but I am only taking one 10mg prednisone pill a day. I was supposed to take 4 a day for 1 week, 3 a day for the 2nd week, 2 a day for the 3rd week and 1 for the final week. Its just that I'm afraid she won't want to give me any more and these pills are really controlling the breaking out. Did anyone else take prednisone for a long period of time? I've been on it for just a month and about a week? Maybe even less. 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/16/2017 6:36 pm

Day 41: I think I'm on day 41 but i am not sure since I stopped keeping track every day. I got my nails done and the little pills are so hard to take out of the original package so I used an old little container that has like all the days of the week and you just put the pill in the container for the day. So I've had no symptoms except for dry lips but not to the extreme probably bc I apply chapstick every 10 seconds. As for my acne, I got 2 tiny cysts (with makeup its like they aren't there) yesterday and they are still there today (I mean it has only been a day) I also have tinyyyyy like really miniature little bumps on my chin like 5 of them. you can't even tell they are there unless you really get up close to my face but its weird bc i've never gotten those? they kinda feel like a rash bc they are so close together and so tiny but they aren't red at all?

MemberMember
(@jessicae89)

Posted : 02/16/2017 11:12 pm

I was off for 7 days but got back on with the stronger prescription. The doctor did not offer me prednisone...I've never even heard of it but I did my research and I'm going back Monday and I wonder if I can request it?

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/19/2017 12:03 pm

Day 44: I think I am on this day. Next time I post I will count how many pills I have left to see what day I am on exactly. So I got one in a spot that when I had my initial breakout I had one that left a scar. Also, got 2 pop up right next to each other that it looks like just one big one but thats about it. I have so much marks from the initial breakout it looks like I am all broken out but I'm not :( 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 02/27/2017 5:12 pm

Day 52: I can't believe I've been on this drug for this long already wow. Ok so recently I've been getting so much acne on my forehead and on my chin I have about 2 and I feel 2 more popping up on my upper lip. I'm not sure if I am breaking out because I've been eating a lot of junk food or because it's about to be that time of the month. So far its just worse than before I started accutane so it's really making me want to just quit at times :( 

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 03/06/2017 12:25 pm

Day 59: I took the last 2 pill today to equal 60mg because I am being bumped up to 60mg. I don't know how I feel about this pill anymore.

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 03/16/2017 3:23 pm

(I lost track of what exact day I am on) 

Accutane is just making me so mad. One day I wake up with really good skin then at night I can go to bed with 2 or 3 bumps on my face. I just wish this worked faster on me I am really wanting to stop this treatment :(

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 03/18/2017 1:23 am

On 17/03/2017 at 1:53 AM, sofieeeeeeeee said:

Accutane is just making me so mad. One day I wake up with really good skin then at night I can go to bed with 2 or 3 bumps on my face. I just wish this worked faster on me I am really wanting to stop this treatment :(

so did i..the side effects got horrible by the third month and I actually didnt take the pills for about 2 weeks..went to my derm she told me that I haven't responded to this medication as I should have in 3 months but she told me to continue..and now the side effects aren't that bad just that when i wake up.. There is a whole pile of dead skin on my face(which is bad)

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 03/19/2017 7:49 am

On 3/18/2017 at 1:23 AM, eternalrocket said:
On 3/16/2017 at 3:23 PM, sofieeeeeeeee said:

so did i..the side effects got horrible by the third month and I actually didnt take the pills for about 2 weeks..went to my derm she told me that I haven't responded to this medication as I should have in 3 months but she told me to continue..and now the side effects aren't that bad just that when i wake up.. There is a whole pile of dead skin on my face(which is bad)

I actually haven't gotten any side affects other than the dry lips (knocks on wood) but my skin literally got worse than when I first started. I will probably just try this for one more month. How is your acne doing though? 

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 03/20/2017 4:05 pm

Hi, I can totally relate! I had moderate closed comdeone acne....the kind thats just a ton of under the skin clogged pores...Since they weren't SUPER noticeable besides texture wise, my derm said accutane would clear me right up and be a breeze because nothing NOTHING else worked to get rid of them so I was put on accutane 60 mg/day (i weigh 110) and I have to say, it has been a rollercoaster to say the least. Constant ups and downs. At about the end of month one and throughout month 2, my skin became the worst Ive ever seen it. I had cyst like bumps come up, all my comedones turned into red painful bumps, and i just didnt even recognize myself anymore. I was so upset and didn't know what was going on but i just stuck with it....so third month comes...skin still broke out really bad..fourth month was still bad.....fifth month STILL bad. I honestly became scared to sleep because i didnt want to wake up with new stuff every day.

Im just starting my sixth month, and JUST now am i starting to see any improvement. So i'd say just don't give up, relax, and take a deep breath because honestly for some unlucky people including myself, it just takes longer to work. Its so hard to stay positive, i beat myself down so many times because i stopped believing it would work and got terrified that ill never clear my skin again, but my dermatologist assured me we just have to stick with it and sure enough I'm starting to see something finally..and it took all 6 months to even look at myself and see something finally. Plus i didnt even start with super severe acne like you sometimes see that clears up after 4 months. Your dermatologist should be there to answer to all of your concerns, and a good one won't let you give up at only 3 months or 4 months. Yes, most people see results by then, but not all that is for sure. some people are more stubborn. Its not really a matter of if it'll work for you, its when it will work. so stay positive and don't give up! Id say give it a good 6 months to really evaluate because you will most likely be surprised..or maybe even before that your skin will clear up. In the meantime, you have to get blood tests anyways, i would have all your hormones checked just as a precaution and make sure everything there is squared away because that can sometimes hinder the potential and efficiency of accutane if you have a hormonal problem. Also, id make sure your skin care routine isn't adding any additional irritation..i found out my moisturizer and other products/cleanser were causing half of my breakouts. just hang in there and don't give up...clear skin will be yours:)

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 03/22/2017 8:47 am

@sofieeeeeeeee my acne is totally fine just 1 pimple on the forehead once in a while..my scars are quite bad that feels very bad but i guess i just have to accept those..btw im on 30mg and i have to take the pills for 3 more months and for you i think you shouldn't worry about a few pimples... Thats the part of the process.. It'll all be gone..so hang in there :)

MemberMember
(@sofieeeeeeeee)

Posted : 03/24/2017 12:42 pm

@GraciePthank you for that. I guess I really needed to hear that because I was so close to giving up. This week has been so terrible I got pretty big ones on my cheeks and I NEVER used to get them there. Now after this I am going to have a lot of scarring. I am going to at least try one or two more months, then if I don't see improvements or it keeps getting worse I will have to give up. I really didn't have any scarring before this at all and now I have so much. Do you have any recommendation on moisturizers and cleansers? Maybe that could be it too.

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 03/24/2017 2:04 pm

1 hour ago, sofieeeeeeeee said:
@GraciePthank you for that. I guess I really needed to hear that because I was so close to giving up. This week has been so terrible I got pretty big ones on my cheeks and I NEVER used to get them there. Now after this I am going to have a lot of scarring. I am going to at least try one or two more months, then if I don't see improvements or it keeps getting worse I will have to give up. I really didn't have any scarring before this at all and now I have so much. Do you have any recommendation on moisturizers and cleansers? Maybe that could be it too.

yeah i know its hard. even though I'm seeing improvement I'm still breaking out too in the sixth month so i completely understand. I've tried literally everything else though, drugstore, natural ,supplements, birth control, oil cleansing, caveman all of that and nothing has helped this kind of acne so if i don't stick with accutane i know i have nothing to turn to so I'm hanging in there. As far as cleansers go, I use Amara Organics Vitamin C cleanser. its aloe based and really soothing, and it fades hyper pigmentation which is awesome because i struggle wit that too. Moisturizers, i switch between fresh aloe vera and clinique dramatically different GEL because any sort of cream clogs up my pores. I only use the clinique on really dry desperate areas. I find moisturizers are just too much for my skin, even on accutane.

MemberMember
(@jessicae89)

Posted : 04/17/2017 1:19 am

On 3/24/2017 at 3:04 PM, GracieP said:
On 3/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, sofieeeeeeeee said:

yeah i know its hard. even though I'm seeing improvement I'm still breaking out too in the sixth month so i completely understand. I've tried literally everything else though, drugstore, natural ,supplements, birth control, oil cleansing, caveman all of that and nothing has helped this kind of acne so if i don't stick with accutane i know i have nothing to turn to so I'm hanging in there. As far as cleansers go, I use Amara Organics Vitamin C cleanser. its aloe based and really soothing, and it fades hyper pigmentation which is awesome because i struggle wit that too. Moisturizers, i switch between fresh aloe vera and clinique dramatically different GEL because any sort of cream clogs up my pores. I only use the clinique on really dry desperate areas. I find moisturizers are just too much for my skin, even on accutane.

Hi girls,
I'm glad I found this. Ugh!!! I am in the same exact boat. I am currently on month 3 (about 15 weeks). First of all, my dermatologist will only prescribe me with two weeks worth of medication at a time, and checks my bloodwork every two weeks so it's a constant to and from doctors. But I get it-Accutane can really change your body and they're keeping me safe. At first I was so happy with the results-not because of the clear skin but because I was less oily. Well ....I'm on week 15 and my face is so broken out. My hair is so dry because I'm not producing oil and it's so brittle and I don't know what to do! I'm starting to develop little dry patches of skin on random places like my arm, my hands, behind my ears! I'm wondering how much longer they'll keep me on this stuff before they call it quits. I'm terrified this won't work and I'll have to live with bad skin forever I've been upped to 80mgs a day (40mgs am/pm). My acne was never bad-it was just close d comedones that were under the skin and just sort of bumpy. But now I'm wondering if I made a mistake in taking this medicine!