Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Newbie

MemberMember
(@bentil)

Posted : 01/17/2017 6:07 pm

I started accutane last week and my skin has gotten the initial breakout. Does anyone have any tips to overcoming it? Or Accutane tips in general? I want it all to go as smoothly as possible and I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience. I haven't experienced much dryness but in well prepared and in anticipation. My skin is very oily still and hasn't slowed yet.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

MemberMember
(@javajarvis)

Posted : 01/18/2017 9:14 pm

Hello.
1.Initial breakout: my dermatologist told me not to use harsh products and to always use sunscreen, since I live in a tropical climate. I used a gentle face cleanser and and a moisturiser and my initial breakout was gone by the end of 2nd week.
2. Tips: what you have to understand is that accutane affects everyone differently. For example, I didn't experience any hair loss but I had joint pain and very dry lips and skin. The first side effect I noticed was dry lips, just after three days of using accutane. So I advise using a lipbalm (if you start having dry lips). I used an excessive amount of Vaseline before bed and a little bit in the morning.

I may have to start accutane again next month so I'm reading other people's accutane logs to prepare. One of the best thing to do is to keep a log. Then you can go through it with your dermatologist. Posting it here is also very useful, as there are lot of helpful people.
Hope that helps.

Also, what is your dosage? Your acne doesn't seem very severe.

MemberMember
(@bentil)

Posted : 01/19/2017 11:16 am

14 hours ago, javajarvis said:

Hello.
1.Initial breakout: my dermatologist told me not to use harsh products and to always use sunscreen, since I live in a tropical climate. I used a gentle face cleanser and and a moisturiser and my initial breakout was gone by the end of 2nd week.
2. Tips: what you have to understand is that accutane affects everyone differently. For example, I didn't experience any hair loss but I had joint pain and very dry lips and skin. The first side effect I noticed was dry lips, just after three days of using accutane. So I advise using a lipbalm (if you start having dry lips). I used an excessive amount of Vaseline before bed and a little bit in the morning.

I may have to start accutane again next month so I'm reading other people's accutane logs to prepare. One of the best thing to do is to keep a log. Then you can go through it with your dermatologist. Posting it here is also very useful, as there are lot of helpful people.
Hope that helps.

Thank you!! Helpful information, hope it goes well for you the second time around.

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 01/19/2017 11:49 pm

Hi!

First and foremost, stay happy and optimistic. This is good for your mind and body. I will list some things below as it is nicer than paragraphs.

(1) Taking your pills with or just after your highest fat meal of the day.
(2) Moisturise twice daily ( I use fragrance-free everything ), and make sure that you apply your moisturiser to your skin when it is still damp ( just after you have dried it. This ensures that the moisturiser soaks into the skin and doesn't just sit on top of it. I think the thicker the better. My skin is never dry using Cetaphil!
(3) Avoid the Sun and alcohol.
(4) This, like everything, varies: Try eliminating dairy, and gluten. You may be able to eat things with dairy and gluten but they may not be good for you.
(5) Exercise lightly, don't do anything excessive though.
(6) Try and sleep well.
(7) Look up "Nina and Randa" on YouTube. They cured their acne without medication. They are amazing and are vegans and can provided recipes and other things. They videoed their journey.
(8) Change your bed sheets weekly.
(9) Use fragrance-free laundry washing liquid.
(10) Avoid touching your face.
(11) I would avoid waxing until after a couple of months after Accutane.
(12) Stay stress-free.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Bentil liked
MemberMember
(@pcosmum)

Posted : 01/20/2017 2:41 am

Hi Bentil. I also started last week but on 20mg 3 times a week for the first month so am expecting it to take a while to see results. I have read on here that aquaphor is really good for your lips.

Good luck.

Bentil liked
MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/20/2017 3:25 am

On 1/19/2017 at 2:14 AM, javajarvis said:

Hello.

Hope that helps.

Look at thread: repairing longterm side effects of accutane. accutane is toxic and can cause permanent impotence! Lowers libido for the rest of your life!!

45 minutes ago, PCOSmum said:

Hi Bentil. I also started last week but on 20mg 3 times a week for the first month so am expecting it to take a while to see results. I have read on here that aquaphor is really good for your lips.

Good luck.

Given to PCOS sufferers to lower DHT - definitely not good for males.
Accutane can affect fertility - please research!

MemberMember
(@bentil)

Posted : 01/22/2017 4:23 pm

On 2017-01-20 at 2:25 AM, hatetane said:
Look at thread: repairing longterm side effects of accutane. accutane is toxic and can cause permanent impotence! Lowers libido for the rest of your life!! Given to PCOS sufferers to lower DHT - definitely not good for males.
Accutane can affect fertility - please research!

I've taken into consideration the risks, as everyone, and the pros outweighed the cons for me. Acne is more than appearance, it affects you mentally and physically. It is is worth it to me, even considering the harsh side effects

On 2017-01-19 at 10:49 PM, AlexxelA said:

Hi!

First and foremost, stay happy and optimistic. This is good for your mind and body. I will list some things below as it is nicer than paragraphs.

(1) Taking your pills with or just after your highest fat meal of the day.
(2) Moisturise twice daily ( I use fragrance-free everything ), and make sure that you apply your moisturiser to your skin when it is still damp ( just after you have dried it. This ensures that the moisturiser soaks into the skin and doesn't just sit on top of it. I think the thicker the better. My skin is never dry using Cetaphil!
(3) Avoid the Sun and alcohol.
(4) This, like everything, varies: Try eliminating dairy, and gluten. You may be able to eat thing with dairy and gluten but they may not be good for you.
(5) Exercise lightly, don't do anything excessive though.
(6) Try and sleep well.
(7) Look up "Nina and Randa" on YouTube. They cured their acne without medication. They are amazing and are vegans and can provided recipes and other things. They videoed their journey.
(8) Change your bed sheets weekly.
(9) Use fragrance-free laundry washing liquid.
(10) Avoid touching your face.
(11) I would avoid waxing until after a couple of months after Accutane.
(12) Stay stress-free.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thank it sososo much, VERY helpful. I had read that accutane was fat soluble. I'm actually pescetarian and dairy free. I eat very healthy and I train religiously at the gym as I am competing next a fitness competition in the future. I take my vitamins/minerals (minus vitamin A) and I have so heard vitamin E plus fish oil are beneficial on accutane.

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 01/22/2017 5:49 pm

Thank it sososo much, VERY helpful. I had read that accutane was fat soluble. I'm actually pescetarian and dairy free. I eat very healthy and I train religiously at the gym as I am competing next a fitness competition in the future. I take my vitamins/minerals (minus vitamin A) and I have so heard vitamin E plus fish oil are beneficial on accutane. -You're welcome! I love working out and I hope to do many iron manchallenges some day! Don't take vitamin Asupplements, like you said. Also at one time it was thought that vitamin E could help withsome of the side effects ofAccutane and wasbeneficial for acne sufferers. However, about 6 years ago, a study was done and found that taking vitamin E while being on Accutane did not really change the side effects or reduce the amount of acne that a person had. I would not take anysupplements that you do not have to. I read this from Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD.

Be a littlecareful at the gym though. As later your joints could start to hurt and if you hurtyourself you could be out of training for a while. It varies from person to person, but maybe reduce the amount of weight you life or time you train. You could also try doing moremini sessions to make up for it, too.