Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
belae1ka

In what order should I use my acne/skin care products?

Goal:To tighten skin, remove acne dark spots, prevent future breakouts, and remove acne scars. 

Skin type:Sensitive and oily (usually)

Products:
  • Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser
  • Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream (moisturizer)
  • Raw Organic AppleCider Vinegar mixed with spring water (1 Part water mixed with 1 part vinegar)
  • 'THAYERS' Witch Hazel Alcohol-free toner
  • "Aztec Secret" Indian healing Clay
  • Mario Badescu drying lotion

Products I am considering purchasing in the next couple days:
  • Micro needle Derma Roller
  • GLYCOLIC Acid 70% Skin Chemical Peel
  • Hyaluronic Acid Serum (I assume this is for acne dark spots?)

About me:
I'm a 22 year old college student and I am very active. I workout everyday so I usually shower once or twice a day. I live in Michigan so when it gets really cold it's easy for my face to dry up but my skin type is usually oily and you can usually always see large clogged pores on my nose.Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 2.13.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-17 at 2.13.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-17 at 2.13.01 PM.png

My usual routine:
I usually wake up, apply cleanser, shower, apply the witch hazel toner with a cotton ball, then moisturize. After I workout (around 5-8pm), I usually repeat the process. When I'm ready to go to bed I cleanse my face then I use a cotton ball to apply the apple cider vinegar & water mixture. Once that dries, I apply a small dab of the drying lotion on any whiteheads/pimples I see. I do not apply moisturizer at night, should I? If so, do I apply the drying lotion after the moisturizer dries? Also, once a week I apply the mask and leave it on for about a half hour then remove it. I feel as if I have a bunch of products that can potentially work wonders but maybe I am not applying everything in the right order or at the right times of the day.

My current routine seems to be somewhat alright but I have a lot of clogged nose pores, acne scars, and dark acne spots that are very easy to see on my pale skin in the cold, dry, winter months. Any advice on what I should use? and also in what order I should use my products? Any advice is much appreciated. 

Thank you.

hi! I would like to give you the best advice that I can. Going down your list, I wouldn't recommend Derma rolling or the 70% chemical peel. The derma rolling can irritate your skin, tear up existing pimples, and cause bleeding. Derma rolling evens out the scarred tissue, but doesn't remove the redness/dark marks. They are two seperate things. Once you remove the redness (hyperpigmentation)/acne, you can then move on to derma rolling. And for the chemical peel, its very harsh on your skin. You could burn for days and make your skin very sensitive, irritating it more. What I recommend is using something natural like raw honey on your face as an antioxidant, and tea tree oil for a spot treatment for pimples. If you want to continue with your own regimen however,  it looks pretty good. You should ALWAYS apply moisturizer at night, keeping it dry especially with vinegar can irritate your skin. You should apply the moisturizer AFTER the drying lotion. You do have great products and I think you're doing a great job, only time will tell your progress. If you want to lighten hyper pigmentation which is something I think you are trying to do, try Meladerm. It's a whitening product without harsh chemicals and use 100% natural ingredients to lighten hyperpigmentation. But it seems like adding it would be too much of a hassle for your regimen right now, so you should keep doing what you're doing. Thanks. 

On 1/17/2017 at 6:05 PM, INeedhelp1312 said:

hi! I would like to give you the best advice that I can. Going down your list, I wouldn't recommend Derma rolling or the 70% chemical peel. The derma rolling can irritate your skin, tear up existing pimples, and cause bleeding. Derma rolling evens out the scarred tissue, but doesn't remove the redness/dark marks. They are two seperate things. Once you remove the redness (hyperpigmentation)/acne, you can then move on to derma rolling. And for the chemical peel, its very harsh on your skin. You could burn for days and make your skin very sensitive, irritating it more. What I recommend is using something natural like raw honey on your face as an antioxidant, and tea tree oil for a spot treatment for pimples. If you want to continue with your own regimen however,  it looks pretty good. You should ALWAYS apply moisturizer at night, keeping it dry especially with vinegar can irritate your skin. You should apply the moisturizer AFTER the drying lotion. You do have great products and I think you're doing a great job, only time will tell your progress. If you want to lighten hyper pigmentation which is something I think you are trying to do, try Meladerm. It's a whitening product without harsh chemicals and use 100% natural ingredients to lighten hyperpigmentation. But it seems like adding it would be too much of a hassle for your regimen right now, so you should keep doing what you're doing. Thanks. 

Thank you!!