Notifications
Clear all

Starting accutane on a high dosage?

MemberMember
(@melissajohnson)

Posted : 01/13/2017 8:53 pm

So after the long process and battle with my insurance company, I was finally able to get my accutane today. I'm not gonna go until all the details about my acne history but I've struggled with it since I was 12 and I'm now 20. Anyways, I feel like my dermatologist prescribed me a high amount.. I weigh 105 and I've been put on 40mg twice a day, so 80mg a day. My nurse recommended I take just one 40mg pill a day for the first 4 or 5 days to see how my body reacts.

What are your opinions? I understand the whole concept of a shorter course with a higher dosage which I'm fine with I just kind of thought it was high after reading other people's posts!

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 01/13/2017 10:37 pm

Honestly from what I heard is that higher dosages have more permanent results. Don't quote me on that but I did hear that. But it also depends what kind of acne you have. I have mild to moderate acne, and I am a 23 year old male weighing at 180. I was prescribed 40MG a day and my doctor never even asked my weight.

MemberMember
(@melissajohnson)

Posted : 01/15/2017 8:38 am

I've heard that too and that's what I'm hoping. I'm a mix between moderate and severe and I get a cyst every now and then. A lot of my acne is that under the skin stuff that leaves red marks. I guess my dermatologist based it off the severity rather than my weight.

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 01/15/2017 12:28 pm

We have same issue, ive been suffering since I was 17-18 now 23. I am on accutane only 40MG a day and I weigh 180. So I think thats pretty low considering my height and weight but then again I also heard higher dosage has the worse purge period. I am already getting breakouts on 2nd week now and going to work sucks. So i guess lower dosage works out for me less purge haha

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/15/2017 10:48 pm

Im 5'4 and 168lbs. Im 31. I have mild acne and my derm started me at 20mg. I think my dose is too low.

MemberMember
(@melissajohnson)

Posted : 01/16/2017 5:14 pm

On 1/15/2017 at 0:28 PM, veenax said:

We have same issue, ive been suffering since I was 17-18 now 23. I am on accutane only 40MG a day and I weigh 180. So I think thats pretty low considering my height and weight but then again I also heard higher dosage has the worse purge period. I am already getting breakouts on 2nd week now and going to work sucks. So i guess lower dosage works out for me less purge haha

Yeah I've also heard that!! It's only my 4th day so I haven't experienced anything yet really but I have a feeling with my high dosage I'll purge pretty soon

18 hours ago, AcneProne22 said:

Im 5'4 and 168lbs. Im 31. I have mild acne and my derm started me at 20mg. I think my dose is too low.

I've heard of people starting at this dose, which may mean you could be on it for longer or they'll just increase you next month. I think that might be safer to start at a low dose. Like veenax was saying, it could mean you have a smaller chance of an initial breakout

MemberMember
(@mysticalheavens56)

Posted : 01/21/2017 11:45 pm

I'm 110 lbs and 5 ft 3 and was prescribed 80 mg/day also.....it sounds like a lot for our bodies but I'm just hoping it'll reduce the risk of a bad relapse in the future.

MemberMember
(@melissajohnson)

Posted : 01/25/2017 8:10 am

On 1/21/2017 at 11:45 PM, mysticalheavens56 said:

I'm 110 lbs and 5 ft 3 and was prescribed 80 mg/day also.....it sounds like a lot for our bodies but I'm just hoping it'll reduce the risk of a bad relapse in the future.

I agree! Good to know I'm not alone in this!