Notifications
Clear all

42 and wanting to try accutane

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 01/10/2017 11:20 am

I am 42 and live in the UK. I have suffered with acne on and off since puberty. When I was young it was mostly on my chin, back and chest. It was mostly kept under control (but not clear) with Birth Control, and when I had my children (17 months apart) My skin was at it's best until my second child was around 3 and then it started getting bad again. I tried different pills again and over the years have tried loads of OTC treatments and nothing has cleared it. As I am of a certain age, my GP suggested I use the coil (Mirena) I was a little concerned that it may affect my acne, but was assured no. 6 months after having it fitted, My back started breaking out. I went to the GP and was given 50mg a day of doxy. Took this for 2 months and no improvement at all. I stopped for a while (i get thrush with antibiotics). I thought the acne may be a passing side effect of Mirena, but now 15 months after it, I still have terrible skin on my back (face is fine!) . I have recently tried differin and I am now on 100mg of doxy ( month 2and no improvement) as I am so pissed off with having huge cysty painful spots on my back and greasy skin. I am back to the doctors next week and hope to try Accutane in order to clear my skin once and for all.

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 01/17/2017 2:18 am

Update.... saw another gp yesterday and she took a good look at the spots on my back. She asked if I wanted the coil removed but I said no as despite the acne I like it. She is referring me to the dermatologist at the hospital as isotretinoin can only be prescribed in a hospital setting. I am to keep with doxy for the time being but if it stops working to go back and try another antibiotic. She also prescribed an antibacterial wash. She said I had inflamed leisions and was a good candidate for isotretinoin. I counted this morning and I have around 20 active spots/cysts on my back with around a dozen or more healing (red or purple) with around 7 on my neck and another 8-9 in my hairline.. roll on may.... waiting time is 16 to 20 weeks.

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 03/17/2017 8:50 am

Update - I have stopped the doxy as I was getting really bad heartburn, I haven't taken any now for about 4 weeks. However, I have been using differin every morning after my shower (rather than at night).The skin on my back doesn't seem as oily as it was and the large cysts have flattened out. I have had a few smaller spots, but nothing big for about 3 weeks. However, this week the skin on my face in particular feels really dirty and greasy and I have a few new breakouts.Its a horrible feeling. like you just want to scrub it clean. but you can't. I have some tea-tree oil wipes at work, but they don't seem to make any difference. I am now thinking that I may use differin on my face at night after I wash (I use Neutrogena face wash/mask) to see if that will help. I am on the waiting list to see the derm, I just hope that I move up the list a little quicker than the 20 weeks they have said!

MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 03/24/2017 10:00 am

I'm of a similar age & making the accutane decision now. I used to be so gung ho about it, but none of the derms I saw in the US would prescribe it. I live in Mexico now, and here, except opioids, you can easily obtain just about any medication you want. And now that it is more readily available, I am worrying about side effects.

Anyway, please continue to update. I'm curious about other non-teens-and-twenties' experiences.

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 08/14/2017 9:58 am

So, its August, and I have just seen the derm, and it looks like I am going to go onto Accutane (or whatever brand they prescribe) I had my bloods done this morning and I go back on 5th Sept and will hopefully come away with some pills.

I haven't taken anything or put anything on my skin for a good while, but the acne comes and goes. the skin on my back and shoulders is always rough and feels like there are constant sebum plugs errupting. Some turn into spots (of varying sizes) and some don't. I do get spots all over though - on my bum occasionally, on my thighs, chest, hairline, neck, chin, back, shoulders, lower back.....My skin is greasy rather than oily, if that makes sense? I am quite exited to be starting the isotretinoin, and hope that its the beginning of the end!

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/05/2017 8:53 am

update - I'm about to go to the hospital again and hopefully pick up my prescription for accutane /isotretinoin. I am a little excited and apprehensive at the same time. I will keep you posted on here with my progress and try and upload some pics... maybe... lol.... fingers crossed!

MemberMember
(@gone)

Posted : 09/05/2017 9:43 am

Isotretinoin was a long and arduous process for me, so be prepared. My course was 6 months long but the side effects persisted for another month. That included severe eczema, dry eyes, nose bleeds, peeling lips and skin, hair loss. It stopped me from getting cysts but I cannot emphasize enough how difficult the process was.

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/06/2017 2:49 am

Hi Shades, I have researched this topic for months and months and have read all the horror stories. Having suffered with acne of varying degrees for nearly 30 years, I am prepared to put up with a few months of discomfort. If it does get too much, I will stop.

I took my first dose this morning! - going to stock my draw in work with nivea and vaseline and have a bottle of suncream so if I go out for lunch I am prepared. My work colleagues are aware. Started on 40mg, so lets see what my first week brings x

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/07/2017 3:05 am

So, its day two. I know i could possibly write a blog, but for the moment, I'll just post any updates on here. I'll attach a few pics that were taken yesterday. My skin is not the worst in them, but certainly not clear either.   I get a lot of under skin bumps and my back feels rough like there is stuff coming out of every pore. Sometimes I can get a hard plug out and it goes, sometimes it will come back and sometimes is transforms to a whopping painful cyst! my nose at the moment is so red! i have a tiny head on there that popped and now is like a cut. it's also really sore :( 

I feel good so far, a little tired, but that is due to the fact that its back to the grind after the summer hols. Went for a run last night and didn't ache after (hoping that side effect stays minimal!) I do have a little headache this morning, but its nothing I haven't had before. 

20170904_153941-1.jpg

20170907_074612.jpg

20170907_074624.jpg

20170907_074659.jpg

20170907_074751.jpg

Moonsss liked
MemberMember
(@moonsss)

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:15 pm

Hey R,

Great to see your update seen as though I started the day after you!! I'm getting the bumps under the skin too.. some of them are pretty big and sore and feel like they're never going to go, especially on my jawline :(  And I'm also feeling very tired too!
But on the positive side, I do feel my skin looks quite nice (apart from bumpy jaw) and really glowing! It could be the moisturiser I'm using though?
Have you noticed a difference in your complexion? 

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/11/2017 2:47 am

Morning!
So general update from the weekend. There was no particular dryness, apart from my eyebrows (which were a bit dry anyway) by sunday they were flaking. Lips a bit dry, but not too bad, just keeping up with the lipsalve. My eyes have started to feel a bit dry, like i've been head on in the wind... I'll get some drops on my lunch hour today. I have got a bit of dryness on my face this morning though. I moisturised twice!

Skinwise - the texture feels smoother on my face - Moonsss, I have noticed a difference, The bumps I had from the rosacea seem to have flattened, and the spots I had on my face don't seem so angry. I have a lot of tiny bumps or filled pores on my back so we'll see how that goes. I do have a really painful one in my ear! hoping it won't stay around too long!.

MemberMember
(@gone)

Posted : 09/11/2017 12:03 pm

Good luck rainbow. I think it was after month 2 when I saw the difference. I started on 40mg in the first month then 70mg thereafter.

Only you know how much acne bothers you. Like you I had to draw the line and say enough is enough - some of us have battled acne for far too long!

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/12/2017 3:06 am

Shades - far too long!
Today is day six and I can safely say I have dry skin. my face is dry and flaky and feels tight. That's ok though, I know it's working. Good job I have moisturiser in work too! I didn't sleep too well last night, I have this really painful one in my ear that kept waking me up, and my chin was itching and I could feel them growing inside (does that make sense) I'm sure I will be getting a breakout shortly. I'll keep you posted. Apart from that, all is good!

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 09/19/2017 3:31 pm

Good for you @Rainbow.1974.I hope all will be well for you during your Accutane journey.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 09/19/2017 7:07 pm

Interested to hear about your progress. All the very best.

MemberMember
(@rainbow-1974)

Posted : 09/20/2017 3:48 am

2 weeks in, and still good. dry skin and lips but not overly so. Have a lovely volcano starting to erupt on my chin. A few more on my back, but can't say if that would have happened with or without the isotretinoin. Not much else to report really!

Thanks for your good wishes x

Juwalker liked