Notifications
Clear all

Cousin wants to wean off accutane

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/09/2017 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I just found out that my 15 year old male cousin has been on isotretinoin (accutane) for the past 5 months. I convinced his parents to get him off it (the derm told them nothing about the side effects, and they didn't think it was alarming that he has to test his liver every month!). What would be your advice in terms of stopping accutane? My instinct is to tell him to wean off slowly, not quit abruptly.

Also, what other holistic alternatives are there for teenage boys? I know some alternatives that work for women, obviously, but men have fewer options when it comes to managing acne. So far, I recommended that he switches to a SLS-free/sulfate-free facial wash, cuts down on sugar, etc....but he needs more.

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/09/2017 2:25 pm

Tell him to take antibiotics (tetracycline). It is much safer than accutane for sure. He shouldnt wash his face more than twice a day. Tell him to cut out all junk food and fruits (yes, fruit can also cause acne) and start eating more greens. Aloe vera and vaseline worked for me. If he wants to give it a go, do it.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@winter09)

Posted : 01/09/2017 3:54 pm

If he has already done 5 months he is just about finished with the treatment and should continue.

I am also against accutane but at this point if your cousins has no complications he should finish the course, it took my son 8 years to finally get rid of acne he is 24 years old now and has tried everything and nothing has ever worked it's been a long hard battle.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/09/2017 6:09 pm

@Winter he won the battle over acne? I am glad to hear :) how did he do so? If you would like to share i'd appriciate it 

MemberMember
(@winter09)

Posted : 01/09/2017 7:37 pm

Adeel that's a good question and I'm not really sure what the answer is when he turned 24 in June he still had pretty bad acne proactive plus really wasn't working he had lots of pimples and would get big cyst that would take weeks maybe months to go away and had tons of red marks dried out lack luster skin.

About 2 months ago I decided to order AHA from this site since he tried just about everything and didn't have anything to lose.

1st week he had some serious purging but after that is when the magic happened his breakouts just stopped and never came back his red marks have faded by at least 75 percent and his skin has a glow he uses it every 3 days, also back in August he started taking a vitamin called innate clear skin they might have stated kicking in.

Maybe he outgrew acne since he just turned 24 maybe it was the aha or the vitamins or the combination of the 3 things I have no idea, I recommend aha only product out of tons that ever worked and showed fast results wish I would have ordered it years ago.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/10/2017 12:43 am

Sometimes people, especially teenage boys, do grow out of it once their hormones balance out after their teenage years. My cousin's acne looks like teenage acne, that's why I was disappointed he picked the most extreme way to get rid of it. He might have already tried antibiotics.
His diet & exercise habits are crap. His skin gets worse from fried food and sugar. But he doesn't have the discipline to cut those out - I'm sure if he did, his skin would improve.

What is innate clear skin @winter09 ?

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/10/2017 2:02 am

@winter09I see.. Didnt know these products worked so well. Yeah, lack of vitamines can also cause acne so its good he covered vitamines.

Fried foods sure cause acne for some people. If he is so desperate to cover his acne then removing fried foods wouldnt hurt him

MemberMember
(@winter09)

Posted : 01/10/2017 4:42 pm

Innate clear skin are vitamins packets made for acne I got them at Amazon.

Did his acne improve with the accutane?

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/10/2017 6:17 pm

1 hour ago, winter09 said:

Is it working well?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/22/2017 10:35 pm

On 1/10/2017 at 4:42 PM, winter09 said:

I haven't seen him in months, but apparently his acne hasn't improved. If it's teenage acne, it's hormonal. He also needs to clean up his diet, but would rather have an "easy" fix.

MemberMember
(@coffee32987528935)

Posted : 02/20/2017 5:53 am

Are you a medical expert? If so, you can provide him with medical advice.
Are you not a medical expert? Ask one what to do.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/20/2017 11:47 pm

I wish it was that simple! Teenage boys won't listen to anyone :(