Notifications
Clear all

Trying to gain wieght / don't want to break out

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 01/09/2017 8:08 am

So I'm trying to gain weight but also battling with trying to NOT breakout. The past 6 months I've been gluten-free and I try my best to be sugar-free too. I should note that I think I have a slight allergy to nuts and seeds.

I am eating things like turkey, chicken and occasionally beef. I have salmon maybe three times a week. I have a lot of brown rice and sweet potatoes, occasionally new potatoes. Lots of veg. Due to the sugar content I don't eat fruit. I have gluten free bread on occasion.

Breakfasts are usually hemp milk with oats or gluten-free cereals and I snack on carrots and cucumber or oat cakes.

I'm just trying to incorporate things that won't cause me an issue and I know often it's a case of trying things and just seeing but it's also coming up with meal ideas that I struggle with.

I've tried protein powders - hemp and also brown rice but my skin doesn't seem to react well to them.

Can anyone suggest anything?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/09/2017 1:45 pm

sweet potatoes.

MemberMember
(@krik)

Posted : 01/09/2017 6:29 pm

I could relate to this problem (male, 27) - as my IgG4 food sensitivity panel suggests, I can eat only meat, fish and veggies. Can't have eggs, gluten, dairy, nuts ect. Also avoiding fruits because of sugar + for a big surprise, turns out I'm very sensitive to apples.
As a result - I'm struggling to keep my weight. Last time I followed this strict diet, I dropped from 70kg to 64kg (1,79m tall). Face cleared up. After that - started to eat "normal" again - results went downhill.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 01/09/2017 10:46 pm

You can try beans and legumes since they are still on higher end of carbs but have fiber and protein .
avocados for high fat content , turky bacon , olive oil, ghee
Sprouted bread is better than regular or gluten free bread bc the wheat is lower .
Load up on spaghetti squash
You are not going to gain wait eating carrots and cucumbers . You just have to remember your calories in have to be more than calories out in order to bulk up .

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 01/12/2017 7:10 am

Thanks.

Is pasta okay? It's gluten-free but I know it's carbs. I do eat sweet potatoes and brown rice and they don't seem to be too bad for my skin.

MemberMember
(@auleej)

Posted : 01/13/2017 1:56 am

If you're going to eat carbs, opt for complex carbohydrate sources - stuff that catabolizes slowly and doesn't impact insulin as much.

If you're going to consume protein powders, I'd suggest slow-digesting isolate powders like casein. Non-isolates have lots of added sugars, and other fast-digesting proteins like whey spike insulin and seem to impact [me] in much the same way as sugars.

Both carbs and fats are functional energy sources, so you can think of them as interchangeable. If trying to cut carbs, opt for fattier foods instead like meats, cheeses, eggs, avacados, and various oils.

Personally, the only way I was able to keep my skin clear and gain weight was through a high-calorie ketogenic diet. LOTS of fat + protein along with routine weightlifting. Regardless of the diet you opt for, I'd suggest picking up weightlifting if you're trying to gain weight. It will increase your appetite and help you hold on to mass. My body struggles to hold on to fat, but the muscle stays and grows.

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 01/13/2017 2:17 am

Please don't do weight lifting if you have acne, 8 months ago I used to never get acne I could put poop on my face i wouldn't break out but i was skinny, so i tried lifting weights after 4 months i was finally seeing improvement and then all hell broke lose and I ended up here.. Its because it increases testostorone its up to you

MemberMember
(@auleej)

Posted : 01/14/2017 3:34 pm

On 1/13/2017 at 1:17 AM, DandyTsunami said:

Please don't do weight lifting if you have acne, 8 months ago I used to never get acne I could put poop on my face i wouldn't break out but i was skinny, so i tried lifting weights after 4 months i was finally seeing improvement and then all hell broke lose and I ended up here.. Its because it increases testostorone its up to you

I'll meet your anecdote with mine: weightlifting did not impact my acne at all.

On 1/13/2017 at 2:41 AM, mrfringe said:

To be honest I'm trying to limit my exercise for the time-being as I have a fast metabolism and I was walking 2 hours a day to and from work for about a year and just lost so much weight.

That's fair, but the reason I proposed it is for the exact reasons you mention. Weightlifting and walking (cardio) are two different types of exercise. One essentially builds mass and the other sheds it. If you're working out regularly, muscle is way easier to hold on to than fat (in my experience). It's the only way I've ever been able to maintain healthy weight. I don't do cardio because it makes me lose weight. This is all my experience, though. Do what you're most comfortable with that you can stick to.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/17/2017 9:35 am

Op, sounds like you have the same issues as me.
I used to eat tonnes of sweet potato and brown rice, but my gut hasn't been in good shape the last few years, and I developed food intolerances after antibiotics.
You need to look into fermented foods and bone broth to heal the food issues, I find the GAPS diet extremely helpful. It focuses on fats rather than grains and startches.

For the poster that said weightlifting breaks them out, you may have high cortisol levels like I did. Look into getting:
Ashwaghandha
3 tulsi tea
I would break out horrendously before, even if I did pushups.
Now I lift whenever I want

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 01/18/2017 9:30 am

23 hours ago, ZitsSuck21 said:

You need to look into fermented foods and bone broth to heal the food issues, I find the GAPS diet extremely helpful. It focuses on fats rather than grains and startches.

Can you go into more detail on this?

What type of foods do you eat and has it helped with your skin issues?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/18/2017 3:03 pm

Your gut is home to endless strains of bacteria. Good bacteria gets wiped out by antibiotic(antibiotics translate to anti-life!!), chlorinated water, vaccines, poor dietary choices among other factors. fermenting food was always done years ago by our ancestors, as a way of preserving foods, they didn't have fridges back then  but by preserving foods this way certain strains of bacteria would grow on the foods/beverage, GOOD bacteria - probiotics. 
This tradition has been forgotten about over the last few years, but they are becoming popular again over the lads few years, probiotic food and supplements.
Good bacteria keeps everything in check, so when its knocked off of balance, this leads the overgrowth of yeast(Candida's), bacteria, parasites etc. People end up experiencing skin issues, food intolerances, autoimmune diseases.

You can make fermented foods at home, they are inexpensive.
-Slowly start adding probiotic foods into your diet (not the sugary stuff you find in supermarkets).
-Start drinking a tea spoon of Organic Apple Cider vinegar every day.
- Look into buying a slow cooker and making bone broth, drinking a cup or two a day.
-Remove foods that could be triggering your skin issues (gluten,most grains,dairy, sugar) 
(however, fermented dairy like homemade kefir/ yogurt made with raw milk could help you, pasteurized and homogenized dairy products are bad)
- try add healthy fats to your diet (organic extra virgin coconut/olive oil)

That's all I can think of for now!

I eat healthy animal produce, fatty meats, veg, green smoothies, eggs, avocados, winter/butternut squash.
Keep a food diary to help narrow down your trigger foods

Try get the GAPS book, by Dr Natasha Campbell

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 01/19/2017 7:45 am

OK but has your skin improved since you did all this?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/19/2017 3:12 pm

Yeah it has dude, avoiding all food allergies I had stop me breaking out.
Look up Dr Axe, and what he says about leaky gut/ candida/ skin disorders

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 01/23/2017 3:40 pm

hi,

I highly advise to your diet since you want to gain weight, dry fruits, nuts soaked overnight(nopeanuts) never ever fried or toasted nuts

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 01/24/2017 7:14 am

In my first post you'll see why I don't eat fruit or nuts.

MemberMember
(@ariunbold)

Posted : 01/24/2017 7:38 am

Most of us are thin guys with acne. You know what? Because our metabolism is superfast.