Posted : 01/07/2017 10:31 am

Hi everyone! Welcome to my post! 

Here are the topics that I'll be discussing:

• Accutane 
  • Birth Control / PCOS
  • Cosmetics 
  • Washing your face
  • Topical medications 

Before you continue reading I'd like to say that I'm still dealing with cystic acne. It's been a long journey, but my skin has improved dramatically. I've accepted that I'll never have perfect skin, but that doesn't mean I can't have try to have decent skin. 

Attached are pictures of my Accutane journey. My skin cleared up beautifully, but years later the acne came back. The last picture is me wearing makeup, not caring that my skin isn't perfect 😉

Accutane 

I started getting acne in elementary school, and I've always had oily skin. I tried many OTC products, topical meds and home remedies, but nothing helped. Eventually, my derm put me on Accutane. I was on it for a year and my skin cleared. Years later, my acne slowly came back (not to the same severity as before). I did a second and third and fourth round of Accutane, but I had to stop each time due to horrible side effects. The acne always came back.

Round one side effects:

• Dry, cracked, painfully chapped lips
  • Constipation 
  • Dry eyes

Round two-four side effects:

• All of the above side effects PLUS
  • Extreme dryness in private area (TMI, sorry)
  • Blurred vision
  • Thinning hair

I didn't take birth control during round 1 or 2 of Accutane. 

Birth Control/ PCOS
I have PCOS. I have high testosterone and my periods have always been irregular. My doctors have said that birth control is beneficial for PCOS.

I've literally tried 6 different bill control pills. The first 5 all broke me out HORRIBLY. My skin would get so oily and I would get acne all over my entire face. I can't remember the names of all the different pills that I tried- but I can tell you that Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Orho Tri-Cyclen Lo were the WORST. It took my face months to recover from the acne that those pills gave me. 

I've been taking Yasmin for 5 months and I LOVE IT. No headaches, no nausea, no initial breakout, and my acne has actually improved. My husband has commented on how consistently clear my skin has been. Please try Yasmin if you have PCOS/ adult hormonal acne. Yasmin decreases your body's testosterone levels which is why my acne has improved. AMAZING! 

Cosmetics
I wear light makeup to boost my confidence and cover my redness from current/past acne spots. I start with a light application of non-comedogenic primer, then apply a mixture of oil free foundation with a non-comedogenic moisturizer (my "homemade" tinted moisturizer), and finish with bareminerals loose powder. These products don't give me breakouts, but I still try to skip makeup as much as possible. 

Face-wash
I always wash my makeup off with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser. Actually, I always wash my face with this in general. This is the best face wash that I've EVER used. It doesn't dry out your skin, but it cleans the skin throughly. I wash my face 2-3 times a day, depending on if I workout that day. Please try this cleanser. I can't recommend it enough.

Topical Medications/ Spot Treatment
If you're going to use a prescribed topical medication, the #1 thing that you need to do is to use a minimal amount. I actually mix my topicals with water to dilute it. Before applying, I use a non-comedogenic lotion with the topical treatment over it. Be gentle with your skin at all times. I have scars from the times that I wasn't gentle. 

I'm currently using Acanya and, honestly, I love it. It heals my acne very quickly, and I only use it as a spot treatment.

Remember,

• what works for me might not work for you 
  • love yourself at all times (even during a horrible breakout)
  • you are not alone <3 
  • you can get through this

GOOD LUCK!!!

67610_489642331073868_69190841_n.jpg

216296_653656054650306_1461845535_n.jpg

13575815_1088502727854489_6572171743128424417_o.jpg

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 01/14/2017 7:47 pm

Thats sucha wonderful improvement! Unfortunately, yasmin made my acne100 times worse. I finally gave up after 8 months and cerave burned my skin. Haha

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/14/2017 9:41 pm

You look great girl! Like Exning, my acne got way worse with BC but is always awesome to see it work for someone else.

Exning liked