Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meggles22224

How I cleared up my adult acne

I don't know if this will work for you, but it helped me so I wanted to share hoping it can help someone else. 

I have struggled with acne for a long time. I'm 31 now and had success with Accutane in my mid teens and again at college age, then Spironolactone when I was in my mid twenties. Spironolactone was the best! Until it wasn't. It stopped working for me after 3 years. I was so disappointed, I thought I'd found the answer. I started getting cystic acne again and it was brutal. It was all around my jawline, mouth and on my neck. So embarrassing and so hard to have self confidence with that going on. I tried not to pick at it but I would and it would obviously make it worse and start spreading. I'd cover it up with foundation which would also make it worse I'm sure. I read somewhere that someone had some luck with a vitamin cocktail. I kind of rolled my eyes, but I figured why not give it a shot.

So on Halloween of 2016 I started taking Vitamin A 25000 IU, Vitamin E 400 IU soft gels, Zinc Gluconate 50mg, and Borage Oil 1000mg (all NOW Foods brand bought from Amazon) and kept a daily journal. Two weeks later my acne was not bad at all. One month later it was almost completely gone! 

Something else I've done since I definitely think some shampoos and conditioners clog pores on my neck (mostly ones with oils) is use Head and Shoulders Classic Clean shampoo and conditioner. I use two separate ones. It's not the best for my hair, but I think it has helped with my neck acne. It has zinc in it which I think is helpful. I wash my face with it as well in the morning. It's drying, but I don't care.

Also, at the end of November I had PRK surgery done on my eyes, which is relevant because I wasn't allowed to wear any makeup or moisturizer for at least a month after. Nothing on my face (so it didn't creep into my eyes and cause infection). Luckily I wasn't too mortified to go outside without makeup on because my skin was quite clear aside from old scars and redness that I've always had. So perhaps Cetaphil moisturizer was making me breakout? who knows, but I don't really use moisturizer today unless I'm going on a date or something. I feel like that's against all of the rules but I think your skin gets used to not having it and provides its own oil. 

So take what you will from this. I try not to touch my face too much or pick at the few pimples I do get, but it's very hard for me, so I'm not always perfect at that. I twirl my hair a lot and then I probably touch my face. Huge no no, but it's a touch habit to break. Trying to be more mindful. But now I don't get cystic acne. Recently one of my coworkers actually said my skin looked AMAZING and asked what I was doing. No one has ever said that to me before! It felt really nice. So I hope this works for someone like it did for me!!! Hang in there :)

Are you still clear?

I've tried Zinc and Vit A before but never been successful. Never tried this 'cocktail' together though. Be interested to know how you're skin is doing and if anyone else has had success with these vitamins.

I did this and saw no changes but I didn't use straight borage seed pills...it was omega 3 with fish/flax/borage, so anyone whose going to try it should probably not do like me but instead get the real borage seed oil.

Sorry for the delay! I wasn't notified that anyone had responded. 

So since I posted this I still have been clear of clusters of large cysts on my jawline, but I do seem to consistently have 3 pimples, they keep rotating positions haha. :(  Especially when I use moisturizer/wear makeup. I don't wear it every day, but I can't just stop wearing makeup forever, so I'm considering maybe doing the Acne.org regimen in addition to continuing to take the supplements. I think they do help, but I've started using Organic pure aloe vera (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128PJ7T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my face as a moisturizer in hopes that will be better than others. It doesn't moisturize that well though. I'm frustrated because the acne seems to be under control if I don't use moisturizer, but I know that isn't good for my face long term. Grrrr