Notifications
Clear all

Stubborn Acne + Allergic Reaction to Differin? Please help!!

MemberMember
(@kate226)

Posted : 01/02/2017 12:44 pm

I have used many different acne medications over the years- epiduo, Retin A, solvere gel (benzoyl peroxide), aczone (in 2 different concentrations), and now, differin. I have also been in the past on doxycycline(only for a few months) along with using topical treatments, and my dermatologist is now having me take niacinamide twice a day in addition to using aczone (7.5%) and differin (0.3%). I tend to get cysts on my chin and forehead, as well as occasionally in between my eyebrows and on my cheeks. For some reason, I tend to get acne more inwards on my face, and I never (if rarely) break out along the sides of my face (excluding my chin). It's really weird because most people my age (I'm in high school) break out in that place, but I never have. Does anyone know if that links my acne to a hormonal cause or is it caused by another factor? I also am trying to avoid accutane for as long as possible because of its possible side effects. Does anyone know of any additional acne medications I could try?
In early November, my dermatologist prescribed me with a higher concentration of aczone and differin for my acne. Around a month or so later (early/mid December), I noticed that various red splotches were appearing on my neck. Some of the redness was accompanied with dry patches, but overall my neck was very very itchy. In addition, my eyelids had become very red and scaly. I tried applying my normal moisturizer and coconut oil to these places, which somewhat helped the dryness, but the redness and itching persisted. About a week or two later, I had a checkup with my normal doctor, and I informed them of my condition. She believed it was contact dermatitis (because of the redness location being in places where my skin is exposed), and I was told to apply hydrocortisone cream to my neck, let it absorb for 10-15 minutes, then follow up with my normal moisturizer twice a day. For my eyelids, she told me to apply vaseline onto them a few times a day. I followed her instructions, and saw some results- now there is less redness/itching and no dryness on my neck, and my eyelids are no longer dry, but they are still very red. Long story short, the irritation has lessened but the reactions are still happening.
After doing a little research, differin has been linked to causing redness, itchiness, and hives to appear. Since it is a product I have no prior experience with, it would be my best bet as to why this is happening. it could as well be caused by the higher dosage of aczone, but I have never had any past problems with the product in a lower dosage. There is a chance it was caused by the niacinamide, but I would be very surprised if it was. Currently where I live, the weather is very cold. This could be affecting my irritation, but I do not believe it is the prime cause of it because I traveled to Florida for a week over winter break, and I had the issues occur the same as they did in the cold. My skin is also very sensitive overall, but I have never had a reaction as strong as this one before to an acne medication (if it is caused by one).
Has anyone else had a bad or possibly allergic reaction to differin, aczone, or any of the other factors I listed? Even if you have or haven't, what do you guys think sounds the most likely to be causing this much irritation? I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week, so I will be sure to get her input and post it here if anyone is interested.
I'm sorry for rambling on so much! I would really appreciate any advice or theories you guys would have as to why this is happening, or any tips in general or products to prevent acne. Thanks so much!!

MemberMember
(@exzell)

Posted : 01/15/2017 7:54 pm

I have suffered from acne for many years form 24 am now 31 and only as far as last week have i seen my acne disappear, i did the over the counter medications, to prescriptions and nothing worked until recently i was watching a youtube channel on how to get rid of acne and they mentioned neutrogena acne bar soap (which i had never tried) and witch hazel which also i had never tried - so with that i thought what the hell let me try it and see, so my protocol has been 1. using the neutrogena soap latter all around the face (which is where my acne was) 2. exfoliate with exfoliating gloves (i do this just 2 times a week) 3. wash off the lather 4. use isotrex gel (which is prescription but stings like hell) 5. use witch hazel to cool the face 6. apply jojoba oil as my moisturiser - within 3 days acne had gone - now personally i dont know if the combination of witch hazel, the soap and isotrex is the long term solution but what i do know is prior i was just using isotrex gel and nothing much happened, its very low cost to maintain but for me it has worked like magic and my face is back from the dead lol

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 01/16/2017 2:43 pm

On 1/2/2017 at 0:44 PM, kate226 said:

I have used many different acne medications over the years- epiduo, Retin A, solvere gel (benzoyl peroxide), aczone (in 2 different concentrations), and now, differin. I have also been in the past on doxycycline(only for a few months) along with using topical treatments, and my dermatologist is now having me take niacinamide twice a day in addition to using aczone (7.5%) and differin (0.3%). I tend to get cysts on my chin and forehead, as well as occasionally in between my eyebrows and on my cheeks. For some reason, I tend to get acne more inwards on my face, and I never (if rarely) break out along the sides of my face (excluding my chin). It's really weird because most people my age (I'm in high school) break out in that place, but I never have. Does anyone know if that links my acne to a hormonal cause or is it caused by another factor? I also am trying to avoid accutane for as long as possible because of its possible side effects. Does anyone know of any additional acne medications I could try?
In early November, my dermatologist prescribed me with a higher concentration of aczone and differin for my acne. Around a month or so later (early/mid December), I noticed that various red splotches were appearing on my neck. Some of the redness was accompanied with dry patches, but overall my neck was very very itchy. In addition, my eyelids had become very red and scaly. I tried applying my normal moisturizer and coconut oil to these places, which somewhat helped the dryness, but the redness and itching persisted. About a week or two later, I had a checkup with my normal doctor, and I informed them of my condition. She believed it was contact dermatitis (because of the redness location being in places where my skin is exposed), and I was told to apply hydrocortisone cream to my neck, let it absorb for 10-15 minutes, then follow up with my normal moisturizer twice a day. For my eyelids, she told me to apply vaseline onto them a few times a day. I followed her instructions, and saw some results- now there is less redness/itching and no dryness on my neck, and my eyelids are no longer dry, but they are still very red. Long story short, the irritation has lessened but the reactions are still happening.
After doing a little research, differin has been linked to causing redness, itchiness, and hives to appear. Since it is a product I have no prior experience with, it would be my best bet as to why this is happening. it could as well be caused by the higher dosage of aczone, but I have never had any past problems with the product in a lower dosage. There is a chance it was caused by the niacinamide, but I would be very surprised if it was. Currently where I live, the weather is very cold. This could be affecting my irritation, but I do not believe it is the prime cause of it because I traveled to Florida for a week over winter break, and I had the issues occur the same as they did in the cold. My skin is also very sensitive overall, but I have never had a reaction as strong as this one before to an acne medication (if it is caused by one).
Has anyone else had a bad or possibly allergic reaction to differin, aczone, or any of the other factors I listed? Even if you have or haven't, what do you guys think sounds the most likely to be causing this much irritation? I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week, so I will be sure to get her input and post it here if anyone is interested.
I'm sorry for rambling on so much! I would really appreciate any advice or theories you guys would have as to why this is happening, or any tips in general or products to prevent acne. Thanks so much!!

I had a terrible reaction to differin. It made my skin sting horribly and it purged cc's violently, which left scarring. This was only using it a few times a week [and correctly]. I will never touch it again. Retin A Micro did the same thing but also caused mild chem burns and cysts on top of the burns as a result of the severe irritation. I'm sure you could have experienced itchiness and redness from differin since it can be so harsh and drying...retinoids can also weaken your acid mantle and make you more prone to irritation from otherwise gentle products.

I had redness and hives appear from clindamycin gel. I tried Aczone but it didn't seem to do anything either way.

I like the Ordinary's zinc serum for blemish treatment and I also use a vitamin C gel to heal PIH/PIE. I just began my new regimen a week ago but I'm already seeing some positive changes. Unfortunately, severe skin issues and irritations usually take months to resolve. I also changed my entire diet at the same time a week ago and I'm hoping this helps. I'm doing no beef, no eggs, no poultry, just fish and high omega 3 foods. You should definitely try this, along with liver detox teas.