Notifications
Clear all

moisturizing with coconut oil

MemberMember
(@danageo)

Posted : 01/01/2017 7:26 am

heyy guys,

I have been moisturizing with coconut oil , during day time and night. is it fine to do so ? my dermatologist wants me to use "Autoderm intensive baume " but i'm trying to stick up to less chemicals. what do you think? also , is the autoderm gel gentle on my skin , i got it perscripted too , my country doesn't have cetaphil ?

MemberMember
(@ccurran86)

Posted : 01/01/2017 11:01 am

I have been using coconut oil as a moisturizer for a while now and love it. The only issue with it is that it makes your face look shiny. I only use it at night because of that. The other issue is if you use it at night and lay on your pillow then it can actually break you out if you lay on the pillow again. Just be careful and dont put alot on. Alot on can clog your pores as coconut has a 4 rating for clogging pores. Everyones skin is different. I broke out with cysts badly around and my nose. I dont know of the coconut oil was to blame for it. It makes no sense why I would only break out there when i used coconut oil all over.

DANAGEO liked
MemberMember
(@danageo)

Posted : 01/01/2017 1:17 pm

So what so you just using as a moisturizer? I suffered today from an itchy face, and whenever i applied sunscreen or any moisturizer, my face felt as if it was on fire !. i'm in my second week of accutane now and entering my finals and deadlines as well. what cautions should i consider? also , what's the best face cleanser i can use ? I want to take things under control .

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 01/01/2017 2:31 pm

Used coconut oil for 3 months with great improvement and even told my friends to start using it. Skin started getting itchy around month 4 and started forming cysts.

DANAGEO liked
MemberMember
(@howlingmad)

Posted : 01/01/2017 2:58 pm

I would recommend against using coconut oil as moisturizer. Coconut oil has a high comedogenic ( Pore clogging ) rating. By using this product for a long time your pores will start to clog. This will cause more acne.

Since you are on accutane, you might as well use the heavy duty moisturizer your derm suggested. Accutane is WAY more serious than using a non natural moisturizer. If you insist on using a natural oil, you will better off using one of the low rated oils on this list. Be sure to moisturize a plenty, chronically dry skin wrinkles like crazy.

18 minutes ago, WelcomeSmirk said:

Used coconut oil for 3 months with great improvement and even told my friends to start using it. Skin started getting itchy around month 4 and started forming cysts.

This could be a prime example of how coconut oil is no good in the long run. Clogged pores are a root cause of acne.

DANAGEO liked
MemberMember
(@danageo)

Posted : 01/01/2017 3:19 pm

thank you guys for help. I have stopped using the coconut oil for good. I have got now some small red areas around my forehead and cheeks. I'm not sure if it's from the coconut oil since i moisturize well, i think it's rash but don't know how to cure it.
Can you please suggest what's best for moisturizing with accutane and what gel should i use as a cleanser ? my dermatologist is a big fan of the bioderma company products, but i want what serves best for me.

MemberMember
(@ccurran86)

Posted : 01/01/2017 3:27 pm

For the rash I would get hydrocortisone. That will help the redness. You can put coconut oil on the rash as it help with irritation as its an anti-inflammatory.  Accutane dries you out if im not mistaken so you want a gentle cleanser. I would just get cetaphil. In regards to moisturizer I switched to something called Era Organics Natural Face moisturizing cream. Here are the ingredients: Aloe Vera, Manuka Honey Cream, MSM, Blue-Green Algae, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Hemp Seed Oil, Cehami Extract, Shea Butter and Olive Oil. 

You do not need alot of it as little goes along way. Warning though. Whenever you switch to something that contains oils that your skin isnt use to, it might purge. 

Here is the picture and description 

Screenshot_20170101-152752.png

Screenshot_20170101-152831.png

Screenshot_20170101-152840.png

1 hour ago, WelcomeSmirk said:

that sounds about right with me. I got my coconut oil in july and around end of October. had 6 cysts in 3 weeks all around my nose. In some places I have never got a cyst before. I had a stye on my right eye on Thanksgiving. 4 cysts on my nose. 1 on the left side of my nose where the nose attaches. Its weird because that 4 months my forehead and chin were completely clear and I used coconut oil everywhere. 

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 01/01/2017 3:48 pm

Same weird reaction here.

My eyes felt like I was having an allergic reaction and I started forming acne that I usually wouldn't.

Literally my left eye felt like it had animal hair in it all the time after the cysts started. Been coconut oil free for a while now and I'm pretty clear.

Maintained use of organic coconut oil while I was using it.

MemberMember
(@ccurran86)

Posted : 01/01/2017 3:57 pm

Its the right kind of coconut oil. If you get refined extra virgin coconut oil then it doesnt break you out. Thats what I have so maybe that wasnt the reason for the cysts. If it was the coconut oil why didnt the rest of my face break out.

MemberMember
(@danageo)

Posted : 01/02/2017 6:08 pm

I will try to get the cleanser and the moisturizer soon, since i don't have those any place here. Right now, i'm using the bioderma "Autoderm intensive gel moussant " for moisturizing. should i continue on it until i get the other ones ?

MemberMember
(@cons)

Posted : 01/02/2017 6:23 pm

I've used coconut oil as a moisturiser for my face and entire body for 4 years. I have oily skin naturally but I find this doesn't leave my face greasy. I apply a bit at a time to avoid that and once it sits and absorbs it's not oily at all (at least for me) But at night I soak my face in it lol it helps with scarring and redness too. The acne.org moisturiser is actually on the natural side. There are a few minor synthetic things, like one or two, but its mostly plant and oil extracts. Use that during the day and the coconut oil at night! If the oil breaks out your face, definitely use it for your body anyways.

MemberMember
(@howlingmad)

Posted : 01/03/2017 5:39 am

I will try to get the cleanser and the moisturizer soon, since i don't have those any place here. Right now, i'm using the bioderma "Autoderm intensive gel moussant " for moisturizing. should i continue on it until i get the other ones ?

Uhm, i did some searching on the product. Bioderma''s website states the following use instructions:

• Apply Atoderm Intensive Gel Moussant on damp skin.
  • Lather, then rinse thoroughly.
  • Dry gently
From the instructions it is quite clear that the intensive gel moussant is a cleanser, not a moisturizer! You should not let this product on your face for a prolonged period of time. It is not intended for that purpose. Get a regular tub of moisturizer at a grocery store till you have the moisturizer you want. I used the CeraVe moisturizing cream for quite a while, big fan. CeraVe should be readily availible in most stores across the USA.

You could also check the product reviews for moisturizersfor extra suggestions: http://www.acne.org/reviews/moisturizer-c19/

DANAGEO liked
MemberMember
(@danageo)

Posted : 01/03/2017 12:46 pm

Thank you a lot for your help. I actually have to order it online though. and i'm sorry i got you the wrong name of what i using right now. Autoderm pp baume is the 24h moisturizer that i apply . should i continue on it until i order the others online ?

MemberMember
(@howlingmad)

Posted : 01/03/2017 2:44 pm

Aha! Glad you didn't use the cleanser as moisturizer. You got me thinking |

As long as the moisturizer does its job with no side effects, I see no problem continuing using that moisturizer.