Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shade

Full Face Dermabrasion

I'm confused - I thought hyperpigmented WAS the darker skin.

If anything I suggest you check with a local derm before using Triluma.  What I thought was pigmentation was just the healing process.  I am very concerned but I trust what they tell me each week so I still haven't used any Triluma.  I guess mentally it's harder b/c I was almost assured pigmentation issues before the procedure, and reading up on dermabrasion it said the most complications occur with people having indian asiatic skin, which would be me ...

Anyway I can describe my skin as looking quite "tanned", bronze if you will lol.  This is as dark as the skin on my arms (which are darker than most parts of my body) but my face used to be much ligheter and more uniform than this ...  I will give it time, I know it's only been 10 weeks but I'm getting impatient and tired of the lifestyle.

Shade,

Okay, I shall wait a bit before deciding if it is necessary to use Tri Luma.

I know it's only been 10 weeks but I'm getting impatient and tired of the lifestyle.

10 Week Post-Op Update

What's up everyone. Just got back from my weekly checkup. Nothing new to report, still red though but atleast a little less than the last time I visited. Skin is still oily. Milia is being controlled by minocycline and some acne fighting face wash. This time he said I don't really have to come back for two weeks, even though I might go in after a week if I even sense a bit of pigmentation issues. Whatever I keep thinking is hyper or hypopigmentation, the doctor assured me that it's fine and it's just part of the healing process.

We discussed a second dermabrasion, but I am very certain I do not want another one. However if anything changes I guess you'll see me back on here telling you about it. Unfortunately the nurse who promised me pics wasn't there today, maybe she can get those to me by my next visit and I can scan those so y'all have something to compare my current pics (which I will then have to take) with.

Take care everyone, I might update in a few weeks if I notice something new.

Question for others who have undergone dermabrasion. When did you notice an even skin tone? Although the redness/pinkness has gone down a bit more since about 2 weeks ago, it is still noticeable. But my main problem besides that is the entire face looks very slplotchy, and the tone is very uneven.

This forum has brought back many memories for me. I hope you don't mind me telling you a part of my story. I had the first of two dermabrasions 25-30 years ago. I was about 25 years old. My plastic surgeon performed the surgeries for free so either he was a very nice man or I had a very bad case. I think it was a little of both. I didn't even have to pay the hospital bill. I went into the hospital in the afternoon, and during the evening had to take two showers with phisohex. The next morning I was taken to the operating room where the surgery was performed. I wasn't in too much pain afterwards, but the face was bandaged up like a mummy and the dressings had to be changed every few hours. I remember it was gauze, completely filled over with some kind of yellow salve and then rapped up in layers of bandages. I was laying there in the bed that night in the dark when the nurses came in about 4 a.m. to change the bandages. I remember one of the nurses asking the other nurse "what do we have?" The nurse said, "its a dermabrasion." The other nurse said she just couldn't do it. She made a terrible scene how she could not handle changing the dressing on me. The other nurse who I believe was her supervisor apparently took her out and a short time later she came back in to change the dressing. She removed the outer layers and started singing the song "Baby face, you have such a beautiful little baby face . . ." I remained silent but I must admit that this episode was a poignant reminder of how people view others with this affliction. I was released from the hospital the next day and went home to recouperate. As long as the skin was wet I wasn't in too much pain, but the doctor said the dressing had to come off to let the skin dry out. The next day was the most painful day I have ever experienced in my life. It was excruciating. Imagine having most of the skin on the sides of your face scraped off with a rotating wire brush. After about a week the gauze came off and after another week I returned to work. About a year later I had another one with the same physician. This time he used a dermaplane which is normally used to remove skin for skin grafts. The pain wasn't as bad the second time as I imagined that a lot of the nerve endings had been removed the first time. To make a long story short, I quit that job, returned to school and eventually became a lawyer. A year after the second dermabrasion I grew a beard which I kept for 25 years. It was only last year that I shaved it off. My wife and children had never seen me without the beard. I figured at my age, if I can't deal with this now I never will be able to although it has been difficult. I know I am better off for having the dermabrasion. There was probably a 40% improvement. Maybe more. The dermabrasion took many scars away but in the process revealed new ones that lay beneath. Over the years I have been spit on, had people move away from me in restaurants, had people refuse to shake my hand, and have had strangers say things about me to others which they know I could hear. No one will ever know what you are feeling so there is no use in trying to explain it to them. The end result of this suffering for me is that I have become wise. Be brave and keep your head up no matter how many times they try to knock you down.

Elf52-Its nice to know you at least have a family. I've been alone my entire life and I don't see any reason why it would change anytime soon.I'm one of THOSE guys.

Over the years I have been spit on, had people move away from me in restaurants, had people refuse to shake my hand, and have had strangers say things about me to others which they know I could hear.  No one will ever know what you are feeling so there is no use in trying to explain it to them.  The end result of this suffering for me is that I have become wise.  Be brave and keep your head up no matter how many times they try to knock you down.

16 Week Post-Op Update

Sup everyone, been over a month since my last update. Scar improvement is still minimal, and my skin tone seems to have stopped returning. I still look a bit reddish/pink and my skin is quite oily. Acne is still annoying, mainly around my jaw and temples. The minocycline seems to have stopped working so they will have to deal with it another way.

In terms of pigmentation, some bad news. It does seem like I have developed some hyperpigmentation along my jawline. Both sides have dark brown skin forming, as well as some areas right under/around my eyes. It's tough to spot in some lighting but most ppl in my family have confirmed this after close examination. I do have an appointment within a few days so I will most probably be prescribed Triluma to deal with it.

The pigmentation is very upsetting, I have been a vampire for almost 4 months now and I still didn't avoid some issues. I suggest you take into consideration your skin color and ethnicity before proceeding with a procedure like this because you may end up with results you are not expecting. In my case it still looks alright but it can and could get worse. It was a risk that was mentioned so it's not coming as a shock.

I'll report back after my appointment as it has been quite a while since my last visit.

I applaud all who have undegone dermabrasions!

I've made appointments for punch floats in early June and a full face dermabrasion in early July. Anyone else going around that time.

I'm so excited! I wish I could jump to the future!

Shade,

I know I keep asking but are you taking weekly pics with the same lighting to monitor fading of the pink? If you show them to Dr. Y it will help him see the pattern of your fading.

love, rosegirl, poe, kooky and I all have some hyperpigmentation to some degress, so you are not the only one. I believe in a few weeks Tri Luma will help you lighten up those areas if you can tolerate the irritation.

Anyone who had successfully used Tri Luma to treat post dermabrasion hyperpigmentation, please post your experience (how much you use each time, spot treat or full face, frequency, etc).

Shade I wish you the best,

Sword

P.S. Since the redness is due to residual inflamation, can you ask Dr. Y if there is any medication that can speed up the healing?

I'll ask about anything that can speed up the healing Sword. I am not taking weekly pics, although I had been going in for weekly checkups so it's a little better than that. However I have not been for atleast 3 weeks so this upcoming visit is long overdue.

Pigmentation is a bitch, especially for asian skin. I'm darker than you in the sense that I'm south asian so it might look better/worse depending on how you look it it ... I hate it and if the redness is from residual swelling that means even more scarring will return. Not too thrilled but I'm just hoping I get my color back.

Anyway if you have any other questions, let me know soon and I'd be glad to get answers for anyone.

I can think of nothing else for now, why don't you start taking daily pics so you can start tracking progress, no matter how subtle it is?

Thanks,

Sword

Hey guys,

I didn't have any hyperpigmentation issues after about 4 months. I went through an entire tube of TriLuma plus a sample pack that my dermatologist gave me. Guess I was being careful, but didn't have any negative effects really (besides redness early on). I mostly applied it full face but alternated once in awhile with spot treatments.

Sword - I use bromelain topically only, but I've heard people who've had an invasive cosmetic procedure really benefit from oral bromelain or Arnica to reduce redness, swelling, etc. Do a search on here for it.

D

Shade,

I know I keep asking but are you taking weekly pics with the same lighting to monitor fading of the pink?  If you show them to Dr. Y it will help him see the pattern of your fading.

love, rosegirl, poe, kooky and I all have some hyperpigmentation to some degress, so you are not the only one.  I believe in a few weeks Tri Luma will help you lighten up those areas if you can tolerate the irritation.

Anyone who had successfully used Tri Luma to treat post dermabrasion hyperpigmentation, please post your experience (how much you use each time, spot treat or full face, frequency, etc).

Shade I wish you the best,

Sword

P.S.  Since the redness is due to residual inflamation, can you ask Dr. Y if there is any medication that can speed up the healing?

Hi Kooky,

Thanks for the quick response. At almost 9 weeks I am still very pink and somewhat blotchy. Pretty good progress since 2 weeks ago, but not much change from a week ago.

Did you work out while you were healing? Sometimes I wonder if working out helps or hinders the fading of redness.

I will do a search on bromelain. I read your 4 months update and hope that I could recover the same.

Thanks!

Sword

I used Tri-Luma after Dr. Y identified that I had hyperpigmentation. He told me to use it all over the dermabraded area, and to make sure I stayed out of the sun as much as possible and used sunscreen and a hat when I had to go out.

Definitely read the instructions you get with the medication and follow them. It says to use a thin layer at night over the affected area and 1/2 inch beyond. It should disappear immediately when you rub it into the skin. If it doesn't, you're using too much. This is strong stuff so you don't want to overdo it. You aren't supposed to put anything else on your face at night, but in the morning after you wash it off you should use sunscreen, and you may use moisturizer.

It made my skin peel so much. It really sucks for a while, because it'll take a few weeks to work, so in the meantime you're just adding dry, flaky skin to your redness. I've been using it for almost a month, and my skin has gone from an intense red to almost normal color. I still have a faint pinkness on my cheeks, but it just looks like I'm sunkissed, and a few dark areas along my jawline, along with dark spots where the punch floats were done and two places where I had breakouts develop after surgery. Cassandra told me to use a cotton swab to apply Tri-luma only to these darker areas now that my skin has returned to normal.

Also, I have no way of knowing if this helped or not, since I have nothing to compare it to, but I bought the Skinceuticals Vitamin C and E serum. I've read many places that Vitamin C helps reduce redness from sunburns, acne, etc. The role of Vitamin E seems to be more unclear. In one recent study (it was linked to from one of these threads), applying vitamin E to one half of a surgical scar caused no improvement in healing compared to the other half of the scar, and in a significant percentage of patients it caused contact dermatitis (irritation). It's apparently very irritating to healing skin. If I'd known this I would have gotten just the vitamin C, but the serum has a low percentage of vitamin E, and I haven't gotten any contact dermatitis, although my skin has been dry and irritated off and on. I feel like it's made my skin feel smoother and have more of a glow, but like I said before, this could just be the result of my surgery alone.

Sorry this was so long . . .

rosegirl,

Thanks for sharing your experience in details. I am going to use Tri Luma every other night only, because this stuff really make my skin red and peel. But if that's what it takes to complete my healing, I shall do it.

Thanks,

Sword

Working out, whether it was running or weights got me really red. So did drinking beer or wine. But after a good night's sleep, the redness would usually fade back. I walked a lot on the treadmill the first month and a half, then went back to my normal routine.

Hi Kooky,

Thanks for the quick response.  At almost 9 weeks I am still very pink and somewhat blotchy.  Pretty good progress since 2 weeks ago, but not much change from a week ago.

Did you work out while you were healing?  Sometimes I wonder if working out helps or hinders the fading of redness.

I will do a search on bromelain.  I read your 4 months update and hope that I could recover the same.

Thanks!

Sword

Hi Kooky,

I think higher metabolism should help healing. For the next month I am going to take it easy and just run a mile or two, and lifting light weights before I go to bed.

My plan to bulk up this year has to be postponed smile.gif

Thanks,

Sword

4 Month Post-Op Update

Blah. No Tri-luma needed, just give it some more months and decide if I want another dermabrasion ... not happening. In my case the results in terms of scar improvement have been minimal at best, I doubt another procedure can do much. I have some minor hyper pigmentation on my jawline and some patches of hypo pigmentation. This I can live with, anything else would have been a disaster.

I am still severely scarred. That hasn't changed, just my attitude biggrin.gif I hope the rest of you lot heal well, make sure you don't treat hyper pigmentation that's not really there because you'll end up with self inflicted hypopigmentation when everything has healed through the natural course. I asked if there was anything that could speed up the redness/healing and they told me no, just keep taking good care of your skin and apply plenty of sunscreen.

Take care y'all.

That must be a relief Shade. smile.gif

In theory skin lightened by Tri Luma should eventually gain the normal amount of pigment, right? So there should be no permanent hypopigmentation .... or am I wrong?

I am going to ask Cassandra next time I talk to her.

Thanks Shade,

Sword

Working out, whether it was running or weights got me really red.  So did drinking beer or wine.  But after a good night's sleep, the redness would usually fade back.  I walked a lot on the treadmill the first month and a half, then went back to my normal routine.

Hey Steven,

If you have to grunt and twist your face when you lift, then its not a good idea.

I talked to Cassandra about this, heavy lifting is not recommended (even for me at 9 weeks post op) because as your face muscle contract, your fine blood vessels may burst and make your face red for even longer.

Sword

Hey Steven,

If you have to grunt and twist your face when you lift, then its not a good idea.

I talked to Cassandra about this, heavy lifting is not recommended (even for me at 9 weeks post op) because as your face muscle contract, your fine blood vessels may burst and make your face red for even longer.

Sword

Well it always took me at least that 6 months that the face didn't get bright red if I was doing some excercise. Also drinking just one glass of wine brought out the redness. It really takes long time. But I did start to exercise always after 2nd month. Some (white) people will always get very red on their faces when they exercise even if they haven't had any facial operations. One motivation to exercise lightly and more later after the scrubbing has left, is to raise one's metabolism and that way speed up the healing. People are sweaty and weird looking anyway when they do sports (except female tennis players eusa_whistle.gif ), so why care if the face is red during sports?

Shade,

I would like to ask about the demarcation line under your chin. How close in terms of color of the dermabraded area vs the skin on your throat?

Currently, mine is pink vs tanned yellow. I hope my jaw and chin lines blend well in time.

Thanks,

Sword