Notifications
Clear all

2 months into Accutane- severe muscle/joint pain

MemberMember
(@lightdaffodil)

Posted : 12/24/2016 3:23 am

Hey

So I'm a 21 year old female in my third month of Accutane (1 on half dose and 2 on full 80mg). Everything was fine and manageable until I started the full dose. A few days after starting 80 mg, I had the worst muscle/neck pain imaginable. I was incapacitated for 3 days. I had just finished a very paper-intensive few weeks at college and thought it was related to constantly looking down at my laptop. After tons of advil and heat, it eventually subsided. I know Accutane can cause joint/muscle pain so I thought this was my body getting used to it.
Well, I've been on 80 mg for two months now, and am suffering constant back and neck muscle pain, with some joint pain in my shoulders. It hurts constantly, no matter if I've been at my computer, asleep, or just sitting on the couch. I've started to notice it getting much worse after I do exercise. And, I don't mean like running, hiking, or lifting. I mean, small stuff walking the dog. This past week, I walked the dog 3 miles on relatively flat ground, and I came home and had the worst muscle pain for the rest of the day. I went to disney as well, and had a really difficult time walking around after only being there for an hour or so. I can't lift household items like I used to. It's getting to the point where I don't want to go out and do things because I'll be in pain for the rest of the week. It's really starting to affect my social life, and me in general. I'm not depressed or anything, but I've just been feeling really down lately about my lack of ability to exercise.
Basically, I will (most likely) be stopping accutane after the holidays, and I've been through this forum and I know there are both many people who were fine after taking accutane and people who have permanent damage. My only thing is that the accutane is WORKING. I have never been this clear, and I DO NOT want to go back to where I was before. I know this isn't a substitute for medical advice and I fully plan on talking to my derm after the holidays, but I want to know if anyone has had joint/muscle pain this severe, and if this severe of pain is a warning sign that my body is being damaged (will this be permanent?). I'm a nurse, and do not want to let my muscle pains get in the way of my job.
TL;DR: severe joint/muscle pain after mild exercise: does accutane related muscle pain get this severe??
*I value everyone's opinion, but I am really looking for answers and experiences related to my question. I know accutane is a dangerous drug, works different for everyone, and may have permanent side effects. This truly was my last resort drug, and I'd like to continue if at all possible.

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 12/24/2016 6:23 am

I have yet to try but you can dig more info in this thread:
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/#comment-3077749

So if you had a choice back from the time you decide to start Accutane, would you still choose it?

MemberMember
(@98ba)

Posted : 12/25/2016 12:12 am

Get off the medication RIGHT NOW.