Notifications
Clear all

Going back on Accutane - 4yrs Later (log w/pics)

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 12/21/2016 10:21 pm

Well it looks like Im going back on accutane. I was first on it when I was 26. I had a log on here from my initial experience. Was hoping to continue it but its been archived. 

But a quick recap. I had mild acne since Puberty. My family physician put ne on prescription creams and birth control but it never went away. Tried proactiv and no results. In my early twenties it turned to moderate cystic acne and I decided to see a dermatologist. She had me try so many products (differin gel, duoc,  retin A, antibiotics, etc) with little results. She finally put me on tazorac which was a big help.  I wasnt all the way cleared but it drastically Improved my skin but I still had very oily skin. She suggested Accutane and I went on it for six months. 

My first month after accutane my skin was clear and the oiliness was gone. The oil came back though - after the first month. Pimples started popping up regularly but not as bad as before. My derm put me back on Tazorac and Aczone and I have been on it since. She periodically gives me antibiotics when im having unusually bad breakouts.

Im 31 now. Still seeing the same dermatologist so she knows my skin very welll. My acne today isnt bad but it seems like it maybe getting worse than I have had the last few years. My pimples are popping up more frequently and im having the blind ones with no head. They last a long time. I went back to my dermatologist earlier this month for antibiotics and this time she said she was recommending I go back on accutane. Im not happy about it but even she has noticed my acne is worst than its been. Its even started on my chest and back. Well I agreed to go back on it and Im starting after I get my blood work done in two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with a second course of accutane for mild acne? Im anxious about being 31 and having an initial breakout. Ugh,  im starting a new log and will update with pics. 

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/14/2017 10:54 pm

Day 4: So I started on Absorica (20mg) on 1/11/17. I just took my fourth pill. So far I havent noticed any difference. My face is oily as usual. Lips are normal. No dryness at all. I had been getting 1 to 3 new pimples weekly prior to starting Absorica so im not surprised I have a new pimple close to my lip on the left side. I also have a new pimple below my right eye brow but its not noticeable at all. I can feel the bump though and it hurts. 

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/16/2017 8:06 pm

Day 6: Still oily as ever. No changes. No side effects as of yet.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/19/2017 9:57 pm

Day 9: So my derm told me I could continue with Aczone and Tazorac this month. So I have been. Today I noticed a very small amount of peeling on my nostrils and betwen my eyebrows. I get this sometimes when I use Taz more than a few days a week. So I dont think this is due to the Absorica. My forehead and cheeks are still oily. Lips are normal. I think I will cut the Taz out but will continue the Aczone. I got a new pimple on the right side of my face and on my right ear lobe. I popped the one on the right. I know it's bad but it had a white head and it was hurting. It felt like it was ready to pop. Feel so much better now that I did. Dont think this is my IB though. I always have one to three active pimples similar to this. 

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/22/2017 10:19 pm

Day 12: Im still oily. No dry lips yet. I now have a new pimple on my forehead above my right eye and near my right ear. I also have a pimple on my left ear lobe. Go figure, I never got pimples on my ear lobes before. Anyways, the two pimples from day 9 are gone - just some hyperpigmentation. Still wont call this an initial breakout because I always have a few pimples around. 

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/23/2017 8:28 pm

Day 13: Dry lower lip!Had a litte crack too. I been using aquaphor since the day I started Absorica. Well here we go lets see what else happens..... Oh and that pimple on my forehead developed a head. I popped that sucker it was hurting and pulsating.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/29/2017 10:06 pm

Day 19: Face is doing good. It is not as oily as it usually is so im happy about that. It's also not dry or flaking. So im still using aczone. My lips are noticeably dryer. They only cracked once. I use aquaphor a lot through the day.  I got two pimples healing on my jawline and a new one that looks to be popping up on my cheek. Forehead pimple is gone. Just left hyperpigmentation. My chest has about five pimples right now. So far no initial breakout. Dont mind my shiny lips just slather aquaphor on before bed time. 

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/31/2017 4:15 pm

Day 21: Still no initial breakout. I got a new pimple on my forehead and some small ones on the right side of my face. My face I think is slightly red today but its not that bad at all. No peeling or dryness on my face. My lips are doing good. Just staying on top of using the aquaphor. Havent cracked since that one time several days ago. My nose feels like sand paper though. It looks like the blackheads are trying to come out. 

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/03/2017 9:58 pm

Day 24: Mmm could this be the start of my initial breakout? Its only on the right side of my face. 

IMG_2956.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/07/2017 1:40 pm

Day 28: Went to the derm today. Im now going up to 40mg. My cholesterol is up but she no reason to worry at this point. Ill start that on Friday. The pimples I have currently are taking way longer to heal than im use too. This sucks nothing like a 31 year walking around with pimples on my face in a office environment. SMH. Right now they are all on the right side of my face. I got a couple under my jaw still on the right side. I need them to go away ASAP!!! I dont have any dryness on my skin as of right now. My bottom lip cracked yesterday im just lathering on the aquaphor. My derm told me imI can continue the aczone until my skin cant tolerate t anymore. 

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/13/2017 10:51 pm

Day 34: Suprisingly, No new pimples. Still have red spots on the right side of my face though from that little breakout I had. Gunk was coming out the pores of my nose my nose felt rough. Couldnt help it but I used a blackhead extractor and I got most of the stuff out from all over my nose. Now that I did that my nose doesnt feel like sand paper anymore. Lips are good as long as I keep using aquaphor. Eyes are dry when I wake up in the morning but nothing that I cant handle. So far so good.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/16/2017 10:43 pm

Day 37: I love not having to worry about an oily face. It's great. I wish it would stay like this forever (lack of oil). Anyways, lips are good. No cracking they been good but ive stayed on top of the aquaphor. Nose is smooth. So far, the right side of my face has been getting all the action, sigh. Im still using aczone everynight. That is the white residue you may notice on my face. I hope this is the initial breakout and I hope it ends ASAP. Last time I was on accutane I had a bad breakout at 5 months. I hope this does not happen again. 

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

MemberMember
(@andrear)

Posted : 02/18/2017 8:52 am

Your skin is looking great, you must be pleased. I found your blog when I was researching others who've taken a 2nd course. Im about 1 month into a second course, 9 years after my first. I had a borderline case to go on it again, mild in comparison to my last encounter with acne but persistent and the overall condition of my skin has been poor. Its still early days for me but Im happy to say I have seen some improvement even now so I know it was the right decision for me, even if my lips are bad.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/21/2017 10:47 pm

On 2/18/2017 at 8:52 AM, AndreaR said:

Your skin is looking great, you must be pleased. I found your blog when I was researching others who've taken a 2nd course. Im about 1 month into a second course, 9 years after my first. I had a borderline case to go on it again, mild in comparison to my last encounter with acne but persistent and the overall condition of my skin has been poor. Its still early days for me but Im happy to say I have seen some improvement even now so I know it was the right decision for me, even if my lips are bad.

What dose are you on and what are you using on your lips? aquaphor works wonders for me. In mt case my derm had been telling me to go back on accutane for over a year but I didnt want to. This past fall my skin was just getting worst and I couldnt take it anymore. I hope this time it clears me. My breakout hasnt been bad but last time on accutane I broke out pretty bad when i was taking 80mg at 5 months in. I hope it doesnt happen again though as my derm increases my dose.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/21/2017 11:08 pm

Day 42: Ugh, why must it take so much longer for my pimples to go away now? The redness and hyperpigmention from the recent pimples really bug me. So far my lips are doing good. My skin isn't dry. My skin is flaking a bit around a pimple that is drying up. Aside from that, I dont have any flaking or peeling on my face which im happy about and hope that it stays this way. Got a new pimple on the left side of my face. Im still using aczone to help with getting rid of the pimples faster. Aside from that my only issue is that I pretty much wake up with dry eyes everyday but it's not too bad. 

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

MemberMember
(@andrear)

Posted : 02/22/2017 4:02 am

Hi, I'm on 60mg and using blistex intensive moisturiser on my lips, its something that worked last time and its working this time I just have to remember to reapply often. I did have one of those episodes in my 1st course where my lips came off - not pleasant so am doing all I can to avoid that this time round. Today Ive actually got two new spots on my face of the big red variety, not much at all in the scheme of things as I've got a smooth forehead - first time in about 2 years! Swings and around abouts! long way to go yet. The last time i took it i don't remember having good skin until about month 3 as so much of those early weeks is spent pushing out the deep down yuck in your skin, and I know I had a lot under the surface. x

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/26/2017 12:01 pm

Day 47: The right side of my face is the most affected while my left side is clear. The eye dryness in the morning is the most annoying part. My lips are dry but I keep moisturizing regularly so I havent had any cracking in a while.  

IMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/27/2017 10:46 pm

Day 48: Pimple on my chin. This one hurts, ugh 

IMG_4650.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/02/2017 6:24 pm

Day 51: Seriously getting annoyed with the eye dryness. I wake up every morning and my eyes are crazy dry. Usually they are fine after several minutes. Wearing contacts has been a little more difficult. They feel dried out by late afternoon. Been using rewetting drops.

I got some new pimples. These I cant hide behind my hair and are more so on the left side of my face. My right side Is clearing up. Just redness left where the pimples were. 

Today, im feeling kind of down. Don't think it's due to the medication though. Just not feeling happy with some things in my life. 

IMG_4711.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/05/2017 11:28 pm

Day 54: Went to Red Robins today. Bad idea.  The corners of my mouth cracked a but when I went to open wide enough to take a bite out of my burger. Just slathered on a crap load of aquaphor. Smh got these damn pimples on the right side of my face. Man do they take forever to clear up. Like the bumps have been sticking around for weeks and they are so notiecable. And the pimples are so red. They dont have head. It's so embarassing. Im so over the "initial breakout" 

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/09/2017 10:00 pm

Day 58: I went to the derm this past Tuesday. She is increasing me to 60mg. Ill start 60mg on Sunday. She said I can take it all at once or take one in the morning and the other at night. Havent decided which ima do.

Ive had some skin flaking around my pimples.   Also, i havent drank almost any water the last several days so might be a reason for it too. Got a new pimple under my chin. Got a lot of hyperpigmentation from old spots. 

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 03/09/2017 11:07 pm

hey I'm on my second round of accutane too! I've been on 60 the whole time (i weigh 110) and have experimented at what times i take it, and i found that taking one after breakfast and one after dinner is definitely more effective. i have no idea why but i know it is so i would recommend spreading out the doses! also stay on top of your water in take. for a while my clogged pores were getting worse and worse but ever since I've drank way more water than I ever thought i needed, my skin has looked 10 times better! good luck with your course, I hope we both get remission this time :) 

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/11/2017 2:15 pm

On 3/9/2017 at 11:07 PM, GracieP said:

hey I'm on my second round of accutane too! I've been on 60 the whole time (i weigh 110) and have experimented at what times i take it, and i found that taking one after breakfast and one after dinner is definitely more effective. i have no idea why but i know it is so i would recommend spreading out the doses! also stay on top of your water in take. for a while my clogged pores were getting worse and worse but ever since I've drank way more water than I ever thought i needed, my skin has looked 10 times better! good luck with your course, I hope we both get remission this time :) 

Thanks for the advice. I think taking one dose after breakfast and one after dinner may help with not waking up with my eyes feeling like a desert. That's been my biggest issue. 

Day 60: Today, Im taking my last 40mg pill and I move up to 60mg tomorrow. My eyes continue to be pretty dry in the morning. Im still wearing contacts ( I only wear them during the day) but its difficult. I have to use drops during the day to help with dryness. I saw my optometrist today and was telling her about being on the accutane (Absorica) and that my eyes are dry. She recommended Refresh Extended Therapy Gel Drops that should help some. 

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/15/2017 10:01 pm

Day 64: So Im taking 30mg in the morning and 30mg at night. Havent seen any worsening of side effects. Last time I was on accutane I had a lot of skin flaking and my lips were cracked often. So far I have barely got flaking. Only around a pimple that was drying out. My lips are dry but aquaphor is working fine. My eyes are dry but the eye drops are helping alot. As far as pimples - i got a new one on the right side of my forehead above my eyebrow. I got another on my chin - left side. Other than that I been relatively clear just hyper pigmentation from old spots. 

IMG_5641.JPG

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/20/2017 10:22 pm

Day 69: The pimple on my forehead cleared up. It left a pink mark. No active pimples right now. Im still using aczone here and there. Not often at all maybe twice a week. Im using it just on the areas of my face that seem to break out most or on spots where I feel a pimple brewing. Im doing pretty good though. The skin on my face isn't dry which im surprised at. Last time I was on accutane, the skin on my face was peeling and flaking. I think it's because im using Cervae this time. In my opinion, it's a way better facial lotion than Cetaphil. I have been using aquaphor religiously and I havent had any lip cracking. Still using the eye drops at night. Eyes are dry when I wake up but Its manageable. Still wearing my contacts daily. 

I have noticed some little scabs on my hands which seem to have been caused by dry skin. It's like a dry skin rash. The top of my hands are a little rough to the touch. I been picking at the little scabs. I cant help it, lol. In my pics, the darker spots you see on my hands are the little scabs im talking about. Seems to be improving now that im using lotion on my hands like four times a day. 

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5788.JPG