Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

User575527

Isotretinoin

Hi! 

Does anyone know why in the UK ( if this is not true, maybe I need to find another dermatologist ), dermatologists will not prescribe more than 150mg/kg over the whole course? 

I, like many others, have done a lot of research on this, and for truncal acne many dermatologists often prescribe more. Many people needed more than this for truncal acne. My dermatologist said that if I relapse I can just do another course, but I still have some active acne. Every dermatologist in the US that I has answered similar questions to this on Realself has said that there is no point in stopping whilst you still have active acne. It would just be a waste of a course. 

I took a year out of university to do this course and I have coped with all of the side effects very well. I don't get many side effects, but I have coped with the ones that I have had well. I don't go out in the Sun, I cut out dairy and eggs and most fat. I wash with fragrance-free soaps and use fragrance-free moisturisers. I make sure any exercise is very mild and I change my sheets once per week. I have probably missed some things out but I do everything right and consistent ( maybe a little OCD, but this means a lot to me ). My bloods tests are great, too. 

Anyway, I can't take another year out of university, and I am willing to do more months. What can I do? Have other UK dermatologists prescribed more? 

I don't understand why not? The only people who haven't taken enough of a cumulative dose are usually people who drop out themselves due to side effects. Not because the dermatologists stops the course ( assuming their blood tests are fine ). I have always seen dermatologists encourage the patient to get as much as possible until the acne is gone. Sometimes even a month more just to make sure. I really wish I had a dermatologist like that. 

There is no reason why I shouldn't take more, in my opinion. I understand that some people relapse anyway, and I accept that. But I just cannot accept that I will relapse because I did not take enough of a cumulative dose in the first place. Especially as I had to take a year out to do it, that makes it even worse, because the next course will be much harder. 

Any advice and help is appreciated. 

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes