Notifications
Clear all

Pretty sure I don't actually have acne, possible folliculitis that got a staph infection

MemberMember
(@mts)

Posted : 12/20/2016 1:01 pm

Starting January 2015 I started getting lumps in the lower half of my face. I'd never once had any spots in this area before. Nothing changed apart from I quit smoking and drinking around this time. The spots were itchy, painful and rash-like, but I was told it was acne and prescribed various creams.
January 2015: [Removed image]
March 2015 skin feels like it's "eating" itself, so itchy can't sleep properly and gets worse with every acne treatment: [Removed image]
April 2015 I begin to routinely pop the white lumps, they're painful but I'm too embarrassed to walk around with white heads. Drs prescribe me Yasmin pill, does nothing. [Removed image]
May 2015 skin begins to peel and crust around my mouth: [Removed image]
Late May 2015: [Removed image]
Early June 2015, skin appears to be boiling/ forms a line: [Removed image]
[Removed image]
I'm put on Accutane, skin gets horrifically bad:
[Removed image]
So itchy, bleeds when I talk/move my mouth, makes me cry every day, clear fluid comes out most of the lumps.
Accutane didn't clear my skin at all, seemed to make it much worse. Came off it as it was completely ineffective, dermatologist says it's "definitely" acne and rubbishes my suggestions that, perhaps it isn't. Can't explain why Accutane failed. Puts me on again when skin stabilises, doesn't work again.
Skin October 2016: [Removed image]
Flat, wide lumps, now appear on my back, behind my ears, under my jaw. Jaw appears to have developed eczema too, I also get frequent styes in my eyes. Had a burn over summer on my leg, when healing it appeared to be covered in acne. Skin severely scarred.
Please please help me. I am wondering if I got folliculitis from living in poor conditions and then got a staph infection. I get constant ear infections, sinusitis, gum infections (my dentist says I have what looks like acne on my gums too?!) and my glands have been up for nearly 3 years. PLEASE help. My face is ruined, it's painful, no acne treatment works and I'm 21 and spend most of my time indoors. Please help me - could it be anything else? Even private dermatologists have refused to test my skin

MemberMember
(@98ba)

Posted : 12/20/2016 2:44 pm

Hmm.. you should pressure derms for a skin scraping even though the process can beexhausting. Just call every dermatologist around your area, but don't let them prescribe you anything before you have the results from the scraping.

If you did try out Accutane and it hadn't made a difference for the better after 5+ months of everyday use I would say it possibly is folilculitis. If you have been using antibiotics before, even just short term courses like 5 days, your skin will be more prone to things like folilculitis, seb derm, itching,because antibiotics alters your skins microflora.

If I was you i would start experimenting with things like E45 shampoo used as a facial cleanser (some people suffering from facial folilculitis did this and had good success)zinc soap, lamisil and oil of oregano (diluted). Read up on threads here and on other forums to find things to try. Also start taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. Turmeric, oil of oregano,caprylic acid and organic apple cider vingear (diluted with water) taken orally could also help you.

I know some people may be against this, but try to get some sun on your face if you have a chance for it. Sun light actually helps most skin conditions exceptrosacea. You could also look into light therapy with LED lights.

MTS liked
MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 12/20/2016 3:22 pm

On 12/20/2016 at 1:01 PM, MTS said:

Starting January 2015 I started getting lumps in the lower half of my face. I'd never once had any spots in this area before. Nothing changed apart from I quit smoking and drinking around this time. The spots were itchy, painful and rash-like, but I was told it was acne and prescribed various creams.
January 2015: [Removed image]
March 2015 skin feels like it's "eating" itself, so itchy can't sleep properly and gets worse with every acne treatment: [Removed image]
April 2015 I begin to routinely pop the white lumps, they're painful but I'm too embarrassed to walk around with white heads. Drs prescribe me Yasmin pill, does nothing. [Removed image]
May 2015 skin begins to peel and crust around my mouth: [Removed image]
Late May 2015: [Removed image]
Early June 2015, skin appears to be boiling/ forms a line: [Removed image]
[Removed image]
I'm put on Accutane, skin gets horrifically bad:
[Removed image]
So itchy, bleeds when I talk/move my mouth, makes me cry every day, clear fluid comes out most of the lumps.
Accutane didn't clear my skin at all, seemed to make it much worse. Came off it as it was completely ineffective, dermatologist says it's "definitely" acne and rubbishes my suggestions that, perhaps it isn't. Can't explain why Accutane failed. Puts me on again when skin stabilises, doesn't work again.
Skin October 2016: [Removed image]
Flat, wide lumps, now appear on my back, behind my ears, under my jaw. Jaw appears to have developed eczema too, I also get frequent styes in my eyes. Had a burn over summer on my leg, when healing it appeared to be covered in acne. Skin severely scarred.
Please please help me. I am wondering if I got folliculitis from living in poor conditions and then got a staph infection. I get constant ear infections, sinusitis, gum infections (my dentist says I have what looks like acne on my gums too?!) and my glands have been up for nearly 3 years. PLEASE help. My face is ruined, it's painful, no acne treatment works and I'm 21 and spend most of my time indoors. Please help me - could it be anything else? Even private dermatologists have refused to test my skin

It is possible that it is folliculitis caused by Staphylococcus aureus. The sinus and ear symptoms you describe suggests that your ears and nostrils may be colonized by that bacteria. In my experience, Staph in the nostrils resulted in congestion and acne around my nose and chin. Ear Staph made me prone to deep cheek and jawline acne.

You have a few options to treat your nose/ears. Povidone-iodine (Betadine) is available over the counter and is safe and effective at killing Staph. You can soak a cotton swab with it and rub it in your nostrils/ears (using a fresh cotton swab for each). 2x a day for 5 days. Keep the iodine in for at least one hour.

Alternatively, you can wipe your ears with rubbing alcohol. Soak a paper towel with it and clean each ear. 1x daily. Though I wouldn't recommend this one for the inside of the nose.

You can also try triple antibiotic ointment into each nostril and ear. 3x a day for 5 days.

Best of wishes on combating your breakouts. I hope to soon read of your progress 🙂

MemberMember
(@howlingmad)

Posted : 12/20/2016 3:34 pm

On 12/21/2016 at 1:44 AM, 98ba said:

I know some people may be against this, but try to get some sun on your face if you have a chance for it. Sun light actually helps most skin conditions exceptrosacea. You could also look into light therapy with LED lights.

I would recommend against this. I tried to fix my acne with a professional LED light device. Costed me a heavy dime and only caused me to look like the president elect. Sun exposure will only prolong the hyperpigmentation/high concentration of melatonin caused by a spot, as the production of more melatonin is also the skin response for protection against UV radiation. Solid advice otherwise.

Do you have acne anywhere else on your body? Generally severe acne does not target one body part and leaves the rest unscathed. If you have no acne on the rest of your body, another type of bacterial/mite infection sounds somewhat more logical to me.I have no knowledgeon female hormonal acne though! But if you do not see a clear pattern around periods i doubt your hormones play a major role?

Theadvice i can give you, as someone who has had acne for 12 years, is to keep your head held high. You did not choose to live with acne. You are not your acne. Your unfortunate skin condition does not make you less than anyone else.

I managed to get rid of the acne on my face and neck thanks to the acne.org regimen. As your story does not specify that you have used it, I wouldstrongly urgeyou to give it a fair shot. I have gotten amazing results. If you follow the instructions closely i am positive that you will see improvements as well!

Whatever treatment you choose next. I would recommend sticking with scientifically proven methods. This website has a decent selection of treatment optionsright here. Another good source of scientific information on acne is [removed].

Take care!

MemberMember
(@hol230199)

Posted : 12/20/2016 4:12 pm

The fact that you have regular sinus infections definitely suggests that you have folliculitis! You should try Nizoral shampoo as a face wash twice a day as it contains an anti fungal ingredient called ketoconazole. A lot of people have had success with this product, I've just started using it myself and hoping for success as I also believe that I have folliculitis. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/20/2016 6:03 pm

Sounds like it's fungal. Do you take any probiotics?

MemberMember
(@mts)

Posted : 12/20/2016 6:22 pm

2 hours ago, Hol230199 said:

The fact that you have regular sinus infections definitely suggests that you have folliculitis! You should try Nizoral shampoo as a face wash twice a day as it contains an anti fungal ingredient called ketoconazole.  A lot of people have had success with this product, I've just started using it myself and hoping for success as I also believe that I have folliculitis. Good luck! 

Thanks for the recommendations! 

19 minutes ago, TheBean said:

Sounds like it's fungal.  Do you take any probiotics? 

Hello! I don't, I take garlic supplements though which are supposed to be good with bacteria overgrowth I believe. I'm not too sure on which probiotics to get etc - would eating cultured yoghurt work the same? Should I be taking them?

2 hours ago, Howlingmad said:

I would recommend against this. I tried to fix my acne with a professional LED light device. Costed me a heavy dime and only caused me to look like the president elect. Sun exposure will only prolong the hyperpigmentation/high concentration of melatonin caused by a spot, as the production of more melatonin is also the skin response for protection against UV radiation. Solid advice otherwise.

Do you have acne anywhere else on your body? Generally severe acne does not target one body part and leaves the rest unscathed. If you have no acne on the rest of your body, another type of bacterial/mite infection sounds somewhat more logical to me.  I have no knowledge on female hormonal acne though! But if you do not see a clear pattern around periods i doubt your hormones play a major role?

The advice i can give you, as someone who has had acne for 12 years, is to keep your head held high. You did not choose to live with acne. You are not your acne. Your unfortunate skin condition does not make you less than anyone else. 

I managed to get rid of the acne on my face and neck thanks to the acne.org regimen. As your story does not specify that you have used it, I would strongly urge you to give it a fair shot. I have gotten amazing results. If you follow the instructions closely i am positive that you will see improvements as well! 

Whatever treatment you choose next. I would recommend sticking with scientifically proven methods. This website has a decent selection of treatment options right here. Another good source of scientific information on acne is www.acneeinstein.com .

Take care!

I have no acne on the rest of my body, I have some pimples around the top of my back when I work out and the sports bra rubs, aside from that, my body skin is great! (annoying it's where nobody sees it!!). My skin seems to have no relation to hormones - it doesn't change throughout the cycle and I've had hormone tests done and I'm within a good range. I've tried things before like cutting out dairy to no avail, def doesn't seem to be hormonal. Thanks so much for your recommendations and kind words

2 hours ago, healthyalmonds said:
It is possible that it is folliculitis caused by Staphylococcus aureus. The sinus and ear symptoms you describe suggests that your ears and nostrils may be colonized by that bacteria. In my experience, Staph in the nostrils resulted in congestion and acne around my nose and chin. Ear Staph made me prone to deep cheek and jawline acne.....

Best of wishes on combating your breakouts. I hope to soon read of your progress 🙂

Thanks for your reply ! Very informative, I was wondering, not to be pedantic, how far up the nose do you go? Thanks very much! Also antiseptic fluids like tcp, would they work in place of rubbing alcohol? I have a terrible cold at the moment so won't be able to go to the store for a few days

Also wanted to say I've had several instances of blind boils on my nose and in my ears in the last two years too! I frequently get boils on both earlobes.. I have chronic rhinitis and catarrh. If this really all links together this will be amazing! Thanks for your advice everyone :D

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 12/20/2016 7:30 pm

@MTSGo as far up your nose as you can pinch together with your fingers. That's the anterior nares and the primary reservoir of nasal Staph.

I've never heard of TCP before you mentioned it. Its Wiki says it's safe for the mouth so it should also be safe for the nostrils. Though I don't know how well it would work in the nostrils; at worst it won't make any difference. It should be fine for the ears and hopefully you'll start seeing improvements in the next couple of days 🙂

MTS liked
MemberMember
(@rikime)

Posted : 12/21/2016 12:06 pm

I wouldn't go for another acne treatment, it might damage your skin even more. If neither yazmin or accutane worked it's probably not acne! I agree that you should get appointments with different dermatologists until one of them listens to you, what's wrong with them! They are the skin experts but to be honest nobody knows your body better than you do, so they should listen. Meanwhile I would personally try people's recommendations against folliculitis - maybe start with one and don't overdo it just in case - instead of the acne ones.
Hope your skin gets better soon!

TheBean and MTS liked
MemberMember
(@rikime)

Posted : 12/22/2016 4:43 am

Also, I don't know if it is advised against using it with folliculitis, but if it's not, you should try rosehip oil. It's an oil for sensitive skin, people with acne use it because it helps fights spots and moisturises, and it's non-comedogenic. But anyone can use it as it balances the skin. If your is so dry it could be a good natural help for it. I use Pai's one but I guess they are all similar.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/23/2016 10:14 am

It is quite normal to be populated on your skin and sinuses with staph. In abundance, it can cause infection, but that would normally be mild and transient. My ENT swabbed my sinuses one time when I was sick...said If it came back staph, she wouldn't even treat me with antibiotics, because it wouldn't be necessary. My sinus troubles have actually improved in the time that my acne has worsened though...weird.

MemberMember
(@amrit-saini)

Posted : 12/23/2016 11:38 am

All i can advice is, if you spent most of your time indoor i would recommend you an app name 9gag. I also spend most of my time indoor, no i don't have that much acne only scars. I use 9gag and the are many people like me and you who are anti social.

MemberMember
(@whoa182)

Posted : 01/09/2017 5:33 pm

You might have an infection somewhere else. You mentioned your gums... I would look at getting x rays done to see if you have a chronic dental infection. The antibodies produced by the immune system could possibly flare up acne in the skin.

Recalcitrant acne vulgaris secondary to a dental abscess.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10467506

Abstract

This case report describes a middle-aged man with acne that was recalcitrant to numerous medications, including three courses of isotretinoin. His condition cleared after an infected tooth was removed and recurred when another tooth became carious. Acne vulgaris is associated with several immunologic responses including the production of antibodies against Propionibacterium acnes, the gram-positive bacteria found in acne lesions. We believe that the presence of our patient's dental infections provoked a follicular inflammatory response resulting in his recalcitrant acne.

MTS liked
MemberMember
(@mts)

Posted : 01/09/2017 7:36 pm

Hey all, just wanted to give an update, about 80% of my skin has cleared since this post!! I've not had that transformation on Accutane/BP, anything! 
First, I followed healthyalmonds advice and swabbed my nose and ears with topical antibiotics. Seemed to help, did it for two weeks before cracking and deciding to wash my face with Head and Shoulders shampoo (what is sometimes a prescribed treatment for fungal folliculitis)
Oh wow! What a difference, people keep commenting on my skin, it's been a week and the only lumps/leisions i have are ones I've had under the skin for a few months, which are finally coming to a head, but once they go they seem to be permanently gone (healing quite rapidly).

It's been a week and I don't wanna count my chickens, but this is the best I've felt in a few years. All the dry/sore patches on my face and neck have cleared. My skin doesn't feel tight, it doesn't feel particularly oily, the redness is very reduced! HAPPY NEW YEAR :D thanks so much for everyone's input to this thread :)

silverlight22, healthyalmonds, RikiMe and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@zerec)

Posted : 01/10/2017 4:47 am

Congratulation, it seems like staph infection is so underrated that I probably won't know of it if it wasn't healthyalmonds as well, I do suspect I have such infection on my ears, but hasn't purchase topical antibiotic to test it out yet, going to soon! Hope this is the case, I'm tired of trying and disappointing at the end of the day and wasting my time.

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/10/2017 5:25 am

Congrats! Always feels good to get something that works for ya :D 
can you post recent pictures? would like to see the whole progress :) 

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 01/10/2017 8:30 am

I hadn't heard of it until the other day reading through the boards, but your description fits! It's worth a shot...look into "demodex". It's a mite. It lives in the hair follicles. It also has been shown to infect the oral mucosal sebaceous glands...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3456144
They are known to respond with some clearing with certain antibiotics...
You may want to gettested.

MTS liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 03/16/2017 7:47 pm

Good to see you found something that works any update pics ? I think have folliculitis bc my face is itchy doesn't respond to any acne treatment trying lotrimin will
eitye Rory the head and shoulders or nizoral shampoo

MemberMember
(@accutane39)

Posted : 02/02/2018 11:38 pm

Any updates??