Notifications
Clear all

Started spiro but my breasts are very tender and a bit swollen

MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 12/20/2016 10:48 am

I am brand new to this acne stuff at 33 years old. Had a blood test that was suggestive of PCOS even though my testosterone levels are great. One ovary is polycystic so im guessing I do indeed have it, even thought the gyn wasn't so sure. Finally saw the derm who put me on Spiro. I can't believe I am almost 3 weeks in and the little pimples have stopped coming up. I did have about 3 cystic ones pop up and go back down quickly. Strange. About 2 weeks in, my breasts feel like I have PMS or I am pregnant. It's neither of those things so I know spiro is causing it. Will this side effect go away? I haven't had the side effect of using the bathroom more often but I do get dry lips and skin. Trying to drink more water.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 12/20/2016 12:29 pm

I believe that's a normal side-effect at first when taking any type of hormonal medication. It happened to me both when I started the pill and then again when I started Spiro. It should go away. I didn't really notice an increase in the amount of times I use the bathroom either, but I already pee a lot anyways. I also experienced dry skin/lips. My derm started me on what I consider a high dose (100mg) so it made my skin very dry. I've been on it for 3 months and though the dryness has subsided a bit, we are going to experiment with lowering my dose to 50mg find more of a happy medium (my skin was a greasy mess before starting the medication). I am 24 by the way!

svuchic liked
MemberMember
(@svuchic)

Posted : 12/20/2016 2:41 pm

Oh wow 100 seems high. Have you had any issues with hair growth? I have only had mild but persistent acne. I am on 50 mg a day and I don't know if she plans to increase me later or not. Thanks for your reply. I usually get the breast pain before a period and with all 3 of my kids I did too. I suppose I am prone to it when it comes to hormone changes. Makes getting in and out of bras and running rather uncomfortable!

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 12/21/2016 8:25 am

I thought so too, especially after reading through some of these forums and seeing most people start on 25mg or 50mg. So, we'll see how 50 works for me. I haven't experienced any issues with hair growth though. I think that is a more rare side effect, even though it seems to come up on this forum a lot. I would not think your derm would increase your dose unless it doesn't seem to be working for you! Let me know how things end up working for you.

But yeah, I agree that breast tenderness can get annoying! I guess I don't mind so much because mine have gotten a little bigger since starting the BCP/Spiro. I'm normally more flat-chested so I can't complain haha. :)

svuchic liked