Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 hours ago, Hol230199 said:

I started the no sugar thing yesterday and it's killing me already!! It's so hard to avoid it over Christmas! But we can do this..!

Yes we can!   Thanks for replying, hope you're well.

It's gonna get tougher, but I try to tell myself that this isn't forever and I just need time to heal my gut.

Hi Jikasa,

I have also been doing an elimination diet too for about 6 weeks and can easily give up dairy and gluten but I am struggling to totally rid my diet of sugar! The day after I eat sugar, I get a tonne of small pimples on my forehead. The rest of my face has cleared after getting rid of dairy and gluten and reducing sugar. I know I will be 100% clear when I kick the sugar but I too have always had an addiction. I believe that the cravings come from your gut bacteria and when you starve the ones that want the sugar you will be able to kill the majority of cravings. I have been taking strong probiotics and plenty of prebiotics to encourage and nourish the good bacteria and trying hard to stay off sugar. My cravings have greatly reduced! my only problem now is the emotional connection to sweet foods. A chocolate cookie with my cup of coffee for example is perfectly comforting and I feel weird not having one. But I am hoping time and breaking the habit will fix this. 

I'm in!!!! I've never heard of sugar to cause breakouts but I will try it anyway. I would have imagined that it would be the fat that is used to make the sweets. E.g. like in cookies. 

I've read that a lot of the time when you crave sugar, you are actually just dehydrated; drinking water can help satisfy that sugar craving. I have noticed that it works for me. Although I still occasionally like some dairy/gluten free biscuits. 

4 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I've read that a lot of the time when you crave sugar, you are actually just dehydrated; drinking water can help satisfy that sugar craving. I have noticed that it works for me

I read somewhere that the body has a difficult time deciphering between hunger and thirst, so this makes sense- thanks for that advice. :)

For the past month, I've tried to cut back on some things- just not nearly the extent you're going (I'm just as addicted to sugar as anyone else)
I've really cut back on drinking sodas and replaced it with drinking the recommended amount of water for my bmi. It's difficult for me to just say no to orange juice or a soda. :( I'm not totally certain if the cutting back on sugar has helped my acne; I feel like my skin is feeling and looking nicer, but I can definitely tell that it has done a great deal of help over my body in general.

Fun fact (and one of the main motivations for cutting back on the soda): The AHA (American Heart Association) says that males should only intake a maximum of 37.5 grams of sugar per day (Some other sources say 46 to around 50) and women around 25 grams. A bottle of coke (like one you purchase out of a vending machine) has 65 grams of sugar! That's more than double the maximum amount for women! I know I'm going off on a little tangent here, but it's just incredible how we damage our bodies by drinking these every day, and like many of the above posters have already stated, it could totally be a cause of much of our acne problems.

I wish everyone well and good luck on the journey! 

23 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I'm in!!!! I've never heard of sugar to cause breakouts but I will try it anyway. I would have imagined that it would be the fat that is used to make the sweets. E.g. like in cookies. 

I've read that a lot of the time when you crave sugar, you are actually just dehydrated; drinking water can help satisfy that sugar craving. I have noticed that it works for me. Although I still occasionally like some dairy/gluten free biscuits. 

I messed up but I'm starting again on Wednesday.  If you want to start with me or post your updates here, feel free!  It'd be awesome to have a partner to keep up with in this.  I don't have anyone else. 

Hi there, I've been trying to drastically reduce my sugar intake as well (hasn't been going great so far, lol). I have a thread going in the personal logs forum but I'm also using it to keep track of my progress on birth control and some other regimens, so I'd be happy to join in on this thread too.

I struggled through christmas, had some gingerbread and chocolate mousse icecream....amazingly did not break out. I am 100% clear(OK, I have a few small closed comedones-quickly dying off though) for the first time in 11 years... I am SO scared it's all going to come flooding back the moment I eat something wrong.

20 hours ago, Jikasa said:

I messed up but I'm starting again on Wednesday.  If you want to start with me or post your updates here, feel free!  It'd be awesome to have a partner to keep up with in this.  I don't have anyone else. 

I guess I could give it a shot. Are you sure that it is the sugar that causes breakouts and not the fat? 
I am just not sure what I can eat for breakfast now. I have cut out a lot already and it is getting harder and harder to decide that to eat. 

27 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:
I guess I could give it a shot. Are you sure that it is the sugar that causes breakouts and not the fat? 
I am just not sure what I can eat for breakfast now. I have cut out a lot already and it is getting harder and harder to decide that to eat. 

Obviously dietary triggers vary a ton from person to person, but for me I'm 95% sure it's sugar.  When I was off 9f sugar for 5 days last week, my cysts started to go down (less inflammation) and I wasn't getting new pimples.  Now that I binged really bad (on sweets) over the weekend, my skin is out of control.  My neck hurts to move because new, painful cysts have formed.  It just really sucks, but I have no option but to quit.  

My current breakfast is a green smoothie 2-3 cups of greens (spinach, Kale, arugula, etc.), About 2 cups of water, 1 cup berries, and 1 avocado.  You can add more fruit like half a banana or apple.  Also you could add almond butter or ground flax.  

I usually eat some protein too - a little baked chicken or leftover cooked steak.  

Eliminating is hard at first but you should keep adding good things for everything you cut out. 

Most, if not all of you have got it backwards. Our bodies depend on sugar - it's our primary fuel source. That is why we are addicted to the stuff. It's the refined processed sugar that is harmful to our bodies, not natural sugar. 

Edited by doodleme123

7 hours ago, doodleme123 said:

Most, if not all of you have got it backwards. Our bodies depend on sugar - it's our primary fuel source. That is why we are addicted to the stuff. It's the refined processed sugar that is harmful to our bodies, not natural sugar. 

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit.  I'm cutting out refined sugars and processed foods.  

We are addicted to this stuff because of the dopamine spike in the brain.  You will get that same dopamine spike each time you consume refined sugar and this is what will keep you going back to it.  Well, not you specifically... Lol, but addicts. 

P.s. I'm on day 2, feeling very determined!
Edited by Jikasa

Thoughts on day 3:

Yesterday I was craving Oreos like an insane person.  I began rationalizing it and telling myself I'll start this no sugar thing on the first of the new year.  But I distracted myself and made it to day 3.  Distracting myself was basically forcing myself to go to sleep because auughhhh the cravings were TOO REAL.  Lolol

Anyways, I'm better off for it today because the cystic acne that was so painful has not only decreased in size, but also is at about 10% or less of the original pain.  Tonight I'm going to do an Epsom salt soak.  I find these incredibly relaxing and crazy-detoxifying. 

maybe it wont stop your acne completely but im almost sure it will improve it for sure
sugar is poison and can worsen acne a lot
when i cut sugar i always becom breakout free

Almost two weeks ago I've started not eating dairy product,and my acne got better for few days..now I'm trying to cut my sugar intake,but it's quite hard,honey ans dried fruits like date can't be left out.I need to have energy to be able to study. Would someone found any diet plan to reduce severe acne? I'm gonna go to a food intolerance test..

6 hours ago, nikoletttoth97 said:

Almost two weeks ago I've started not eating dairy product,and my acne got better for few days..now I'm trying to cut my sugar intake,but it's quite hard,honey ans dried fruits like date can't be left out.I need to have energy to be able to study. Would someone found any diet plan to reduce severe acne? I'm gonna go to a food intolerance test..

I have severe acne on neck, back, and on my scalp.  The only thing working is eliminating the sugar.  All my breakouts are so reduced after only 3 days without any processed food or refined sugar... It's just so hard to stick to this.  It's almost the weekend and all I can think about is how to eat copious amounts of sugar. :'(

I'd suggest looking into the ketogenic diet for ideas on what to eat. You needn't go full keto, but since the diet centers on <25g of carbs a day, it's a great low-carb or no-sugar resource for meal ideas. Afterall, it's hard to eliminate sugar from your diet when it's all you've known for most of your life. It's not about starving yourself from delicious foods; you just need to satiate yourself with better options. It DOES get easier over time.

I decided after a disasterous Christmas to reduce my added sugar to 20g / day. That's say, 3 cookies, or 2 lindt balls, or 30g white chocolate etc.
It's helping. And really helping to make myself aware of where the sugar is coming from and how much I'm eating, but .... in your experience, is that enough? Or do I have to reduce it to zero to get rid of the zits? 

I already eat a reasonabiy low GI diet but I do like my treats.

On 30/12/2016 at 2:24 PM, Jikasa said:

I have severe acne on neck, back, and on my scalp.  The only thing working is eliminating the sugar.  All my breakouts are so reduced after only 3 days without any processed food or refined sugar... It's just so hard to stick to this.  It's almost the weekend and all I can think about is how to eat copious amounts of sugar. :'(
Get a buddy on snapchat or some other instant communication thingy, and promise to send of photo of anything sweet you eat to your buddy. Edited by chibi-skin

1 hour ago, chibi-skin said:

I decided after a disasterous Christmas to reduce my added sugar to 20g / day. That's say, 3 cookies, or 2 lindt balls, or 30g white chocolate etc.
It's helping. And really helping to make myself aware of where the sugar is coming from and how much I'm eating, but .... in your experience, is that enough? Or do I have to reduce it to zero to get rid of the zits? 

Probs wasn't directed at me, but I feel like chiming in. It's a trade-off, I guess. Depends how far you want to take it. You might have a lot more to gain from just eliminating sugars and sticking to complex carbs and low-GI foods. I had to go all the way and switch to a ketogenic diet to solve my dietary acne; others get away with much less.

Personally, I'd suggest trying a week or two on a low-carb diet and seeing how that affects your skin. Should tell you how much of it is from sugars.

For what it's worth, the palate is very malleable. The less you give in to the sweet cravings, the less you get them. That probably doesn't help much, though. Edited by auleej

I'm finding it really hard. I also meal prep, and lately I have been craving something sweet. I really want a bowl of cereal. 

What do people think of almond milk or coconut milk with oats?