Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BloomingWasp

tca cross w professor chu

checking in here as i inadvertantly posted misleading information in another thread. i had tca cross done by professor chu at hammersmith hospital 17 days ago now. early on i thought i had made remarkable progress, especially on the main scar (narrow boxcar on the tip of the nose). turned out that some of the '85%' fill-in i mentioned was actually the scab, which hung on in there for 16 days (without being really visible). fell off yesterday leaving the same indent- but happily, there is definite progress, i would say maybe 30%. the scar may be a little wider (i was warned this could happen) but certainly flatter, and the edges seem less sharp. so all in all  im pleased.
the downtime for this procedure is a drag - i peeled a lot- but worth it to me. with luck i should see further collagenisation in the coming weeks, and i have another visit scheduled for early january. i do feel confident that this will get me the results i want, but just wanted to warn that it takes commitment and that those who see instant results seem to be very much the exception.
best wishes

To post an honest review is very good of you, especially as many on here seem to be interested in the TCA cross method. Although maybe not as much progress as you first thought you had at least you do have progress which I am sure gives you hope for future procedures. I really hope you get the out come you wish for.

Glad to hear from you again blooming wasp. Like ham and cheese, he has already undergone tca cross. He healed, according to him, around 70% percent if I remember it correctly. He posted his journey here.

-pan

hi everyone, thanks for your good wishes. it is now 5 weeks after my treatment and i can report that yes,  my narrow, deep boxcars have noticeably improved- i would say at least 40%.
it's hard to be objective- as the scarring gets better i definitely get closer to the mirror and tilt my head to catch the light more- but it was a bright sunny day today and mirror angles that would previously have made me feel instantly depressed are now more: 'hmmm, not so terrible at all.' so, i'm very relieved but it has been hard going: i endured a lot of peeling/redness (although i think part of this was due to starting on a retinoid too). 
another treatment this week, so the whole thing begins again.. but i'm now very optimistic for the future.
let's hope we all make good progress in the coming year!

Edited by BloomingWasp

update: i saw professor chu again yesterday, he agreed that my scars were 'filling in nicely'. 
he did another round of tca cross, and said i should wait three or four months before deciding whether to have another,  as things should continue to improve over that length of time. trying not to get too excited at this stage but it all seems very encouraging. 
incidentally, he said the redness/peeling i've had was due to seborrhoeic dermatitis- i've had patches of this before, but not for years. i think the tca, or perhaps the cold weather we've been having, triggered an outbreak. he's given me some cream which will hopefully clear things up.
anyway. best thing i can do now is try to forget the scars and let them heal so i probably won't check in here much, but hope this has been of some use to others. ill update again in a month or so if anyone is interested.
good luck to all. 

scabs fell off a few days ago (both times they've stayed on over two weeks). there's further improvement, i'm maybe 60% better than when i started. with time (and tretinoin) i expect the filling in to continue. 
when i saw professor chu he said the other option i had was excision, but stressed there is always a risk that it will heal imperfectly. i'm really glad i went with this method: it is one of slow, incremental gains, but they do add up! i don't expect perfection, and already im at a stage where i feel i can more or less get on with my life. 
i know from experience that feeling of defeat and hopelessness, but there are techniques that can make a difference.

Edited by BloomingWasp

So,  after three rounds of TCA Cross 100% i am very happy with my improvements: hard to quantify but around 70%-75% i would guess? the worst icepick type scars are perhaps a little wider but much shallower and have lost their sharp edges. i don't think anyone would consciously register them unless they were actively looking. This treatment definitely works if performed correctly. 
Having suffered the awful anxiety and loss of self confidence these scars can inflict I'd encourage anyone to do your research and seek out an experienced doctor who can help. 
Thanks to the owner of this forum for support and valuable information, and to Dr Chu. Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by BloomingWasp

hi, yes it was private. £200 for first appointment/treatment from memory, and £100 thereafter.  all in all i think very reasonable given the costs of lasers etc

Congratulations on your progress! Threads like this are imperative so people know there are options out there and don't lose hope.

Edited by Мyth

Hi Bloomingwasp!  Your post has been very information.  May I ask did you experience any PIH or PIE after each treatment? If yes, how long it took for them to fade away? Thanks :)

Hello, I didn't really have much pigmentation at all. There was one spot that kept rescabbing- i showed it to dr chu who suggested it was a vascular reaction and cauterized it for me. That turned quite red but faded after a couple of months. 
All in all I'm very happy with the treatment. I've actually got a few new acne scars since- nothing major- and if they don't fade in a month or two I will probably get them crossed. 

Hi dear @BloomingWasp I have read that someone had done TCA cross 3 times and had some improvements. Then some of her scars came back after few years. Have you had anything like this too? I see that you and great improvements with TCA cross but did the scars come back after few years? Or the improvements was permanent? 

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you in Advance.