Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journey at 18(M)

MemberMember
(@riley-huntley)

Posted : 12/09/2016 12:25 pm

Intro and Day 2:

So here I am.. I do not want to be writing this post because for the last two years I have been telling my dermatologists they're idiots and that I do not need accutane.

My journey with acne acne began around the age of 14, my mother (who I am most like) has a history of severe acne but my brother who is two years older never experienced anything aside from mild acne.

My family doctor, who I love and am thankful for has tried every option out there to help me avoid accutane. I have tried at least 8 topical creams and three antibiotics over a period of four years. The last year and a half, I have been on Minocycline at a dosage of 100mg twice a day.

I have seen three dermatologists over that that and all have pushed for accutane. I have finallygiven in as of yesterday because my antibotics never cured my acne, it only kept it at bay. Additionally, I have been told that an individual should not be on a tetracycline for more than 1.5-2 years because permanent side effects can arise.

Here is why I have waited so long..

I am currently an 18 year old male who is in water at least 15 hours a week, sometimes up to 40 hours a week. I am a Canadian lifeguard, a swim instructor and a scuba diver. My love for the water in combination with accutane will reportedly be difficult to endure. Especially with chlorine involved. I know already there will be days that skin will be so dry and sensitive I will be unable to work.

My acne has generally been categorized as moderate, although before Minocycline it began to become severe.

I get acne on the on the sides of my forehead, my cheeks, chin, nose area, and jawline.

Elsewhere, on my neck, chest and back. I will occasionally get the odd pimple on my bicep or stomach.

Right now acne is manageable but with my minocycline dosage being halted, it was either tough it out as it became severe again or try more creams that take minimum 3 months to work [or not work].

Yesterday I took my first pill of Accutane, my dosage is currently the typical 40mg. After nearly two years of being prescribed it for the first time, I finally giving it and using it.

I plan to do weekly updates about signs and symptoms I am experiencing as well as pictures when it feels appropriate.

MemberMember
(@riley-huntley)

Posted : 12/15/2016 8:17 pm

Week 1/Day 7:

Seven pills down, here is what I've noticed broken up into categories...

General:
Withinthe first day, I could feel my skin dry up. Especially my face and my nose. My face has fresh pimples around my jawline, mouth, and cheeks but they are fairly small so far. After the original two days, I noticed my skin returned to being oily as usual but my nose remained dry. The acne on my chest and shoulders has not changed.

Working out:

During my workouts I have noticed it is harder to breathe through my nose, likely because its so dry. Post workout I am experiencing joint pain that resides within three hours or so.

Swimming/Water interaction:

When swimming, I have been avoiding the hot tub and hot showers. I do very short warm/somewhat hot showers. My skin gets itchy after long exposures in pool water, or with hot water, within minutes. I am trying to be in cold water as much as possible.

MemberMember
(@cliff41)

Posted : 12/18/2016 11:19 am

Had my first 40mg dose last night. I have a very similar story. I'm 17m, and was also put on minocycline, however I had a serve allergic reaction to it, and here I am now. While I'm not a swimmer, I'm a competitive runner, so I'm also concerned about how it will affect my workouts. Have you tried taking fishoil for the joint pain? Both my derm and other athletes recommended for me to take it.

Good luck on your progress!

MemberMember
(@chumpmagump)

Posted : 12/18/2016 5:34 pm

good luck on your journey! I took my firt 20 mg pill a few days ago and got really ill for a few hours but it was paired with antibiotics so maybe that was it... Trying again tomorrow. Hope you don't get shitty symptoms , all the best :)