Notifications
Clear all

5 months of 20mg/day - still worse than when I started

MemberMember
(@icingsugar)

Posted : 12/08/2016 5:56 pm

Hi guys,

I've been reading these message boards a lot. I have my own questions and I'd really appreciate some opinions because you all seem to know a lot!

I started Accutane in July for mild acne. (But persistent, I developed spots around age 20, tried everything, I'm now 26). My derm put me on 20mg/day (female, 70kg) and he said that I would be on it for 6months max and be cleared up quickly after an initial breakout.

My acne got slowly worse and worse from July, to August, to September. It was at the peak at the beginning of October. Much worse than ever before, deeper, sorer, raised. I felt horrible, and had the tearful side effect in full swing which didn't help!

My derm had me on antibiotics, and then steroids to control how badly my face reacted, both at the same time for a while. One day he suddenly annouced that I'll be on Accutane for a year.

I'm on 30 mg a day since the start of November, and the 20mg steroids I've been on since September. My skin hasn't really changed in the last month... it's kind of plateaued. My dermatologist told me that if you gave me more Accutane I would break out.

I don't understand what's going on with my face, he never answers my questions, my skin is worse than it's ever been, I cry all the time about this and spend hours trawling through forums trying to get answers.

So here are my questions;
1) is it common for Accutane to make your face ten times worse for such a long time?
2) could there be some reason I am reacting this way?
3) does anyone understand any of the above story?

Tl;dr went to doc with a few pimples in JULY, got Accutane and have had continuous breakout since then.

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 4:37 pm

Hi... Im in an extremely similar situation I really would like to know how things are going for you..... I was put on accutane for skin colored comedones that become irritated and inflamed and form pimples sporadically... usually 5-6 inflamed at once with tons of clogs. My derm said a "quick" course of accutane will clear it up fast and i shouldn't expect anything bad. Well my skin got SO bad that I actually had to drop out of college (from October to the end of the semester and then it was still so bad i had to drop out another semester) I've been on accutane since October at 60 mg per day and Im female and weigh 110 and am 5'7". I am freaking out. My skin right now after starting my fifth month looks the worst it ever has.... i have clogs, big pimples, and scabs, and scars everywhere that keep forming every freaking day. I am terrified and sad. this has negatively impacted my life so much already and I can't imagine if this doesn't work. I haven't left my house in five months except to go to the derm and therapy. I would love to hear if your acne is improving and how you are doing. If you prefer to directly message me I am cool with that too, we can discuss our situation. 

Also, what is your skin care regimen... Im using just cetaphil cleanser and lotion and maybe the cream is too thick and breaking me out? I keep second guessing every little thing i do now because I don't know what to do anymore :( my derm says cetaphil and cerave are fine but I'm scared they're prolonging my awful breakouts Im just so lost:( 

MemberMember
(@bellacat)

Posted : 02/20/2017 4:55 pm

13 minutes ago, cp11447 said:

Hi... Im in an extremely similar situation I really would like to know how things are going for you..... I was put on accutane for skin colored comedones that become irritated and inflamed and form pimples sporadically... usually 5-6 inflamed at once with tons of clogs. My derm said a "quick" course of accutane will clear it up fast and i shouldn't expect anything bad. Well my skin got SO bad that I actually had to drop out of college (from October to the end of the semester and then it was still so bad i had to drop out another semester) I've been on accutane since October at 60 mg per day and Im female and weigh 110 and am 5'7". I am freaking out. My skin right now after starting my fifth month looks the worst it ever has.... i have clogs, big pimples, and scabs, and scars everywhere that keep forming every freaking day. I am terrified and sad. this has negatively impacted my life so much already and I can't imagine if this doesn't work. I haven't left my house in five months except to go to the derm and therapy. I would love to hear if your acne is improving and how you are doing. If you prefer to directly message me I am cool with that too, we can discuss our situation. 

Also, what is your skin care regimen... Im using just cetaphil cleanser and lotion and maybe the cream is too thick and breaking me out? I keep second guessing every little thing i do now because I don't know what to do anymore :( my derm says cetaphil and cerave are fine but I'm scared they're prolonging my awful breakouts Im just so lost:( 

I can relate to this a lot, the experience with accutane and the emotional/ isolation part as well.  for me I never cleared from accutane til 6 months and even after 2 courses I 'm still struggling. I don't want you to lose hope though. You are on a high dose and it will work. it just takes some people longer than others. 

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 5:39 pm

40 minutes ago, bellacat said:
58 minutes ago, cp11447 said:

I can relate to this a lot, the experience with accutane and the emotional/ isolation part as well.  for me I never cleared from accutane til 6 months and even after 2 courses I 'm still struggling. I don't want you to lose hope though. You are on a high dose and it will work. it just takes some people longer than others. 

this is my second course as well :( I wrote a longer post about my whole experience. what do you mean you never cleared? like did it atleast go down to a few pimples or will i be stuck like this forever? i suffer from body dysmorphia and i mentally can not handle having acne and what it has done to my life and I'm so scared this won't work... all my friends are coming home at the end of april and i wanted my summer to make up for all this lost time. what type of acne did you have? cystic or was it like mine, comedonal and small red pimples? what dose were you on? I just don't know how much longer I can do this.. i feel so defeated and depressed

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 02/21/2017 12:05 pm

1) is it common for Accutane to make your face ten times worse for such a long time?
-Everyone speaks of an initial breakout, I had mine, but from what I've heard from my doctor a 20mg course is short-sighted. A lot of patients see clearance with a low-dose treatment but many doctors prescribe 1.0-1.5 mg/kg daily. So you should have taken 60 or 80mg.

2) could there be some reason I am reacting this way?
-No clue and it's sad that a dermatologist can't find a solution. There's no disease like acne!

3) does anyone understand any of the above story?
-My feelings are that you had a much worse underlying problem than originally thought. A lot of people have cystic acne lying under the skin, not necessarily causing red marks or any visible sign. The one thing I'm positive about with Accutane is that it transforms your pores and literally pushes shit out of your face. If there's anything under the surface, you're going to see it. Now, why you haven't been able to fight back in 5 months of medication is a mystery. My guess is the low-dose. That seems to be a maintenance only technique.

Good luck! I had to take a 2nd course but did have full clearance after 5 months of 80mg a year ago. 6 months later I relapsed but I'm already close to clear on the 2nd course after 3 months of the same dose and hoping this course will hold.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 02/27/2017 11:15 pm

I think it has something to do with the low dose. I had mild acne. On my second course. My derm prefers to start patients at a low dose and work up since it helps your body get use the medication and she says gives you a less severe breakout. Im on my second month (this is my second course of accutane). My first month I was on 20mg and I used moved up to 40mg. I had a steady flow of pimples.