Any advice? 43 yr o...

Notifications
Clear all

Any advice? 43 yr old on bcp now but has tried everything?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 12/05/2016 12:53 pm

Hi all

Im 43..only started breaking out in my late 30's
Thought a quick visit to the derm would fix things..boy was I wrong
For a few years I tried watching my diet, every OTC and rx you could imagine...tracking ing
not wearing makeup..you name it
I decided 2 yrs ago to go on tane for 6 mnths
I stopped getting larger breakouts but continued smaller spots the entire time
As time as passed the spots have gotten larger and more frequent (though not as it was pre tane)
I tried spiro/50mg for 8 mnths and had tons of small spots on my face and got body cycts which i never ever had before
Derm said it was unrelated but since it wasnt helping at all..I stopped spiro
I tried doxy up to 200mg a day, oracea..nothing helped
My skin is so unbearably sensitive from tane (even now) i cant use any actives or my skin is on fire and red (which it is most of the time anyway)
I started BCP this summer...my first pill (enpresse) I was on for 3 mnths and had no improvements and spotted EVERY SINGLE DAY
I switched to ortho cyclen.....I.m in my 4th mnth and skin is worse than ever-no side effects
BUT not helping my skin and that is the only reason Im taking it

What do I do now?
My options I considered was try spiro again-maybe 25mg
Start another bcp? different brand?
stop the ortho to see if making things worse

IDK what other options I have at this point
recently tried metrogel in case more rosacea based that metro made me red and caused burning/dryness
My last derm appt my derm looked at me and said what do you want me to do :(
Of course i have been to several over the years

any insight appreciated
kim

MemberMember
(@lucythedog)

Posted : 12/09/2016 11:08 pm

Hi Kim. I don't have any advice for you. Sorry. I can say I am soon 43 and also struggle with acne. It sucks and feels so unfair. Ugh. Anyways, I wish you all the best.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 12/10/2016 4:00 pm

Awwww thanks much
Its hard to deal w but i know im not the only one in this boat
If you ever want to chat or vent...PM me :)

GL
Kim

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 12/10/2016 7:34 pm

I wouldn't take Spiro again if it negatively reacted with you the first time. It will probably do the exact same thing. Sounds like we're in the same boat and it acted like an androgen in your body vs. clearing you. It also gave me weird androgenic cysts [on my back...still have 2 from it. And still losing 1 eyebrow hair a day. I've never been this depressed].

Can you try low-dose Accutane again? Or if not that, how about a homeopathic doctor?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/10/2016 8:28 pm

Look into these two products. but everythng is like a band aid except accutane

childrens vitamins active health teen multivitamin [Edited link out]

https://www.glossier.com/products/super-pure

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 02/19/2017 8:57 am

I just turned 43 last Thursday. I've not tried Spiro, but I'm trying to avoid prescriptions.
Have you tested your hormones? You can get them through your doctor, or order them yourself.
Also, for some it's the thyroid and the only thing that worked for them was thyroid medication.
Sorry that you are struggling like this...so frustrating.

MemberMember
(@hannah-brown)

Posted : 05/02/2017 5:51 am

On 12/5/2016 at 5:53 PM, kimber607 said:

Hi all

Im 43..only started breaking out in my late 30's
Thought a quick visit to the derm would fix things..boy was I wrong
For a few years I tried watching my diet, every OTC and rx you could imagine...tracking ing
not wearing makeup..you name it
I decided 2 yrs ago to go on tane for 6 mnths
I stopped getting larger breakouts but continued smaller spots the entire time
As time as passed the spots have gotten larger and more frequent (though not as it was pre tane)
I tried spiro/50mg for 8 mnths and had tons of small spots on my face and got body cycts which i never ever had before
Derm said it was unrelated but since it wasnt helping at all..I stopped spiro
I tried doxy up to 200mg a day, oracea..nothing helped
My skin is so unbearably sensitive from tane (even now) i cant use any actives or my skin is on fire and red (which it is most of the time anyway)
I started BCP this summer...my first pill (enpresse) I was on for 3 mnths and had no improvements and spotted EVERY SINGLE DAY
I switched to ortho cyclen.....I.m in my 4th mnth and skin is worse than ever-no side effects
BUT not helping my skin and that is the only reason Im taking it

What do I do now?
My options I considered was try spiro again-maybe 25mg
Start another bcp? different brand?
stop the ortho to see if making things worse

IDK what other options I have at this point
recently tried metrogel in case more rosacea based that metro made me red and caused burning/dryness
My last derm appt my derm looked at me and said what do you want me to do :(
Of course i have been to several over the years

any insight appreciated
kim

Hi - I started breaking out in my late thirties too.  I am nearly 43 and also still struggling.  I understand your frustration, I have tried so many options, diet, supplements, exercise.  It's very frustrating and causes me a great deal of anxiety as you feel like you've exhausted all options.  I hope you find something that works for you soon.

MemberMember
(@o-wow)

Posted : 05/05/2017 8:12 pm

Through a naturopathic doctor and some tests, I've found that my acne is caused by gut yeast, which developed due to my prolonged antibiotic use years ago. I take a few supplements and avoid sugar/gluten/dairy and am pretty clear now.