Notifications
Clear all

Can't figure out right diet?!

MemberMember
(@omgacnefml)

Posted : 11/30/2016 1:54 pm

my current diet is like 85% effective. I've got mostly clear skin, but every once in 2-3 weeks, I will still get a few bad cysts out of nowhere! What's worse is that, even when i dont mess with it, it still somehow scars! its seriously depressing. I mainly keep to homecooked meals as they seem the safest but sometimes when i'm out with friends i get a panic attack on what can i eat with them. It seems meat can vary from good to bad for me so I've tried the vegan diet and ordering vegan food from restuarants, but i still wind up getting acne from them. These guys would assure me that there was absolutely no dairy or meat in these dishes, yet i still wound up getting acne. When I try incorporating vegan dishes in my homecooked meals, being inexpereinced as i am, they just ended up being bland tasteless meals that make me more hungry. Can I get some help here? What meals/restuarants works for you?

the only restuaraunts i trust: chipotle, subway
heres what definitely works for me:
no-dairy diet
home-cooked meals- chicken curry, fish curry, microwavable sausages
eggs, potatoes, vegetables, rice, quinoa, most breads (not flatbread)
subway chicken teriyaki & bacon sandwhiches on 9-grain bread
chipotle chicken,veggies, rice and guac (bowl not wrapped)

here's what does not work:
dairy (which is ALOT of foods)
certain meats (like chicken wings or steak)
fried meats
spaghetti and meatballs
flatbreads and certain bread wraps
candy
some supposedly "vegan" dishes from certain restuarants

MemberMember
(@foodcursed)

Posted : 12/01/2016 11:35 am

Your problem is that your "safe foods" are giving you acne. The soybean cooking oil alone in USA meansyou pretty much can't eat at any cooked food at a restaurantin the USA without breaking out.

Don't trust any ingredient for anything that isn't a plant or pure meat. lol

Also, low glycemic index + low fodmap may help you

Maybe try this:

Pure spring water

red bell peppers

quinoa

Radishes

Wild-caught fish

Pork shoulder

Lettuce

Sprouted pumpkin seeds

Sprouted wheat bread

Turmeric

Cumin

Eggplant

Cherry / grape tomatoes

Arugula

Spaghetti squash

Zucchini

vodka
avocado oil
extra virgin olive oil

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 12/02/2016 7:47 am

You could also have an allergy. Get tests done on what you commonly eat. It can be as silly as a fruit or veg that otherwise is heathy but is giving you some sort of reaction. Eggs, nuts, fish, gluten are some common. Im allergic to all those plus olives, most fruit veg and grain. I dont get obvious allergic reactions, sometimes they are small and unnoticable but all those pushing on your immune system can wreak havok. Good luck!

Also vegan doesnt necessarily mean healthy. Theres tons of junk food and procesaed foods for those options as well :) 

MemberMember
(@omgacnefml)

Posted : 12/02/2016 5:57 pm

damn. are these diets really worth it to you? Or would you consider Accutane? Cuz that's my mindset right now.

MemberMember
(@rikime)

Posted : 12/06/2016 10:50 am

I would try the diet first! Rosehip oil works really well for cysts. You can put 3 or 4 drops on your face 3 times a week before bed, let it absorb properly. I know it's an oil but it doesn't break you out and it doesn't give you a shiny face, I promise!
Also, one of your "safe" foods might not be that safe. Eggs? Sausages?
I think it's tricky to try and eat healthy when you eat out, as restaurants use fatty oils etc. Try to stay away from fried food when you eat out. It's annoying but a case of trial and error!

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 12/06/2016 3:18 pm

On 02.12.2016. at 1:47 PM, Exning said:

Eggs, nuts, fish, gluten are some common.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/06/2016 4:22 pm

I would try testing for allergic response by methodically eliminating foods. My cystic acne is a response to citrus.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/26/2016 1:30 pm

@alternativistaDo you recommend turning to homepaths that can run these tests or process of elimination on certain foods at home? Alhough it would be so hard to pinpoint the exact caus eof the sensitivity? Is there any way you can look at my post I have pictures up I am not sure where to start holistically, dont know if my beakouts jawline are coming from food sensitivity others have said could be candida overgrowth?

Below is link to my post with pictures....
/topic/364475-hormonal-acne-red-marks-pics-included/?page=1&do=embed">

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/28/2016 12:51 pm

On 12/26/2016 at 0:30 PM, swoleMom said:
@alternativistaDo you recommend turning to homepaths that can run these tests or process of elimination on certain foods at home? Alhough it would be so hard to pinpoint the exact caus eof the sensitivity? Is there any way you can look at my post I have pictures up I am not sure where to start holistically, dont know if my beakouts jawline are coming from food sensitivity others have said could be candida overgrowth?

Below is link to my post with pictures....
/topic/364475-hormonal-acne-red-marks-pics-included/?page=1&do=embed">

depends on your budget. You could limit your diet to very hypoallergenic foods for a few weeks, then add foods back in. I should add that my jawline cystic acne is caused by a citrus intolerance. I think it would be worth it for you tor try avoiding citrus. Seems that oranges specifically cause break outs there. And tangerines cause cysts at my temples. I've tested that one a couple times. The response is quick so the connection is clear. Lemons & persian limes produce a less severe response & cause cysts anywhere, but mostly neck.

MemberMember
(@likeaparrot)

Posted : 07/06/2019 8:44 pm

@alternativista  I've read many of your public posts and couldn't help but notice how knowledgable you were. I created an account just to ask if you had seen anyone else get cystic acne from spices (a bit of searching didn't yield anything but you seem to know these forums well, including archived posts).

Me, I've traced back my cystic acne to spices. I have tried hard to pin down exactly which spices but my spice-related acne takes so long to form (up to 6 months); and heal (2-3 months); and fade (5-12 months) that it is a long and difficult process. Over years, I've narrowed to at least these four: turmeric, ginger (same family as turmeric), garlic, onions (not a spice but same family as garlic). I have tried fresh versions of ginger and onions with similar results. I have consumed all 4 my entire life.

My question to you is whether you've seen any others trace their cystic acne back to spices. The reason: I want to try other spices (that I don't normally eat) like ceylon cinnamon sticks, fresh cilantro, etc., but any one of these could yield 1.75 years of deep, dark marks on my face. I used to consume these on occasion when I was younger, but not at all recently (my diet's been extremely, extremely constrained for 10 years or so while trying to figure out my acne triggers).

Thanks so much for your help. :)

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/06/2019 9:52 pm

LikeAParrot

The most likely reason that spices causes cystic acne is because spices contain high levels of histamines and spices trigger histamine releases.

Histamine can cause fungal acne (and possibly ordinary acne?) because histamines cause inflammation, and inflamed skin is a "welcoming mat" for pathogens - bacteria and fungus.

Check which spices and other foods have high levels of histamines and avoid those.

MemberMember
(@likeaparrot)

Posted : 07/07/2019 12:23 am

2 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

LikeAParrot

The most likely reason that spices causes cystic acne is because spices contain high levels of histamines and spices trigger histamine releases.

Histamine can cause fungal acne (and possibly ordinary acne?) because histamines cause inflammation, and inflamed skin is a "welcoming mat" for pathogens - bacteria and fungus.

Check which spices and other foods have high levels of histamines and avoid those.

Thanks!

After perusing https://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/downloads/SIGHI-Leaflet_HistamineEliminationDiet.pdf (and other sites), I'mnot quite sure whether or not this is it. Thepdf lists garlic, rice, and flour as "well-tolerated" (not by me!) and spinach, lentils, and lemons as foods "to avoid" (I eat all 3 without issue).

And as far as symptoms go, I get none of the symptoms listed at https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322543.php when eating any "to avoid" foods. I do, however, getslightly itchy skin when eatingmoderate amounts of trigger spices. But I never get such itching withother foods--I have no memory of it ever happening, except after having way, way too many seeds (but not nuts).

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/07/2019 1:10 am

Like A Parrot

Everyone is a bit different, and histamines build up over time.

I would avoid high histamine foods and not eat wheat flour - gluten causes inflammation in most people.

But, one has to eat/not eat what works for the person - I totally agree with that...

MemberMember
(@likeaparrot)

Posted : 07/07/2019 1:34 pm

12 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Everyone is a bit different, and histamines build up over time.

I see. I carefully checked all the histamine-triggering foods I've been eating for the past 5 years (been gluten-free for 10 years now, etc.) and the only ones I can find are baby spinach (less than 1/8 cup per day) and dark chocolate (2.8 oz/day, which traceably gives me only non-cystic acne). I cut out garlic 5 years ago, so I was eating only these two foods at the time I started testing the other spices.

Aside from garlic, none of the other spices appear on any histamine-triggering sites or lists.

But... I still won't discount histamines because I've found science changes after new research, is sometimes too narrow-focused, and many researchers seem to be funded inappropriately or are under pressure to produce results; definite answers I rarely expect anymore with regards to complex matters! :)

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I was also drinking 2 cups of tea per day in those 5 years (green or black), both of which are on histamine-triggering lists.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/07/2019 6:34 pm

LikeAParrot

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you, especially re -

"I've found sciencechanges after new research, is sometimes too narrow-focused, and many researchers seem to be funded inappropriately or are under pressure to produce results"

MemberMember
(@likeaparrot)

Posted : 07/08/2019 2:07 am

After reading some more, I decided to try a little test today to see if histamines might be an issue.

A few weeks ago, I had added fresh-squeezed 1/8 lemon juice to my foods for the first time, with no noticeable issues. Today, I added 4x that amount into a marinade for dinner; added a bit of lemon into another food; drank 2 cups of green tea a little earlier; and also ate a tiny bit of baby spinach. Now, 3-4 hours after consuming these, I got some noticeable itching on my skin, a kind of itching I have not experienced with this basic meal before. The itching stopped an hour later.

As far as I know, I am not allergic/sensitive to citrus (have not checked in years though; but still, most people with citrus intolerance don't have trouble with lemons) so a histamine intolerance could explain that itching. I am going to cut out the tiny amount of histamine trigger foods I am eating right now and follow this further.

Thank you so much for the suggestion--I really appreciate it! :)

P.S. There goes another "spice." Bland food ftw.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/08/2019 10:09 pm

Good test. Histamine intolerance is very common and very rarely diagosed by doctors.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:13 am

Hi,

I'm wondering if you get flare-ups due to high Omega 6, as you mention some meats and eating out (where food is usually cooked in vegetable oil). I'd consider trying Nordic Oil, which is very high in Omega 3 to balance it out, and you might find that you can eat these foods again.