Notifications
Clear all

Accutane. Is it not working? Help.

MemberMember
(@joshuadavis98)

Posted : 11/29/2016 11:53 pm

I started accutane in September of 2016. I am about to go into my 3rd month and it has been getting better then worse again better than worse once again. The cycle continues. My acne is currently doing bad. Should I give up on accutane? Does it usually take this long to work? Someone help.

MemberMember
(@bentley-boo)

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:09 am

Don't give up!! My skin was horrific up until month 6!!! Keep taking the tablets every day. Just wait.

MemberMember
(@joshuadavis98)

Posted : 12/05/2016 3:49 pm

On 12/2/2016 at 8:09 AM, Bentley.boo said:

Don't give up!! My skin was horrific up until month 6!!! Keep taking the tablets every day. Just wait.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep going forward and hope it works.

MemberMember
(@slvh)

Posted : 12/07/2016 6:40 pm

same deal! started in September 40mg for one month, 60 for one month and now 80, and I literally look no different to the start except every now and then it looks like my entire face is going to peel off. Joyous.

Good luck! keep me posted, good (right word?) to know someone else is in the same boat

MemberMember
(@joshuadavis98)

Posted : 12/11/2016 9:14 pm

I see my dermatologist in 2 days. My face is pretty good I actually see improvement. Not where I wanna be yet but I'm just at the end of month 3. Face has been red through this whole thing.

Question: for all you out there that have finished accutane and had face redness. Does it go away after I'm finished? (Obviously I'm wearing sunscreen. Acne prone skin sunscreen lol) @Bentley.boo

MemberMember
(@slvh)

Posted : 12/12/2016 5:52 pm

how weird, i was feeling slightly better about mine today too.. I changed moisturiser and i think that helped a lot

also can answer your question - yes definitely! I took accutane when i was 17 for acne on my forehead and after finishing had some red mark type scars for a while as well as general pinkness (think that comes from having over sensitive skin it'll react to anything). But now my forehead is just about the only area of my face i would go out without make up on. It's been 6 years, but i'd say the redness was almost entirely gone within a year and significantly better before that

MemberMember
(@kb194)

Posted : 12/12/2016 8:06 pm

hey guys im new here:D i dont know how to ask a question but im going to ask here. im taking accutane 40 MG i started one month ago but i had to stop taking it bc i was getting some chest pain. i called my derm she told me to stop the prescription but like 6 days ago i went to see her again and she told me to keep taking it but  she said that now i have to take the pill one day and one day not like skipping a day but my question is if its going to work anyway ?  i been  getting dry lips and skin and im breaking really bad. if u know something le me know i would appreciate it 

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 12/14/2016 1:23 am

If accutane isn't working, try something more natural for the body. Here's my skin blog, where I lost the natural supplements that cleared my skin! http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blogs/entry/32202-how-to-heal/

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 12/16/2016 3:34 am

On 12/13/2016 at 1:06 AM, kb194 said:

hey guys im new here:D i dont know how to ask a question but im going to ask here. im taking accutane 40 MG i started one month ago but i had to stop taking it bc i was getting some chest pain. i called my derm she told me to stop the prescription but like 6 days ago i went to see her again and she told me to keep taking it but  she said that now i have to take the pill one day and one day not like skipping a day but my question is if its going to work anyway ?  i been  getting dry lips and skin and im breaking really bad. if u know something le me know i would appreciate it 

Hi, treatment is different for everyone but what does seem to be common is that your skin does seem to get worse at the start of treatment, before it starts getting better. I stayed on 20mg a day for nearly 15 months and by keeping dose lower it stopped alot of the side effects some people get.  The derm did the right thing asking you to drop the dose while your body gets use to the treatment. Dont give up, some people have worse skin for the first couple of months while accutane starts to work but it will be worth it in the long run.

Best wishes with treatment

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 12/18/2016 7:17 am

On 12/14/2016 at 6:23 AM, Naturalcure1 said:

If accutane isn't working, try something more natural for the body. Here's my skin blog, where I lost the natural supplements that cleared my skin! http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blogs/entry/32202-how-to-heal/

Very good advice. Why is anyone taking accutane when it can destroy you life. Research for gods sake!!!!

MemberMember
(@numberone)

Posted : 12/19/2016 11:58 am

I feel the same as the thread starter. I have had quite nasty acne for 5 years now and I finally got isotretinoin for it. I'm taking 40mg a day for around 3 months now, but I think it has only made my cheeks a lot worse. I still get breakouts one or two times a week. I dont get spots anymore on top of my lips, at least not that often which is nice, but my cheeks are a lot worse than what they were before. I feel like it is not working but how long does it usually take for the skin to start clearing up? My doctor believes I will need to be on the drug for 8 months overall but it just feels like so hopeless since I cant really see any improvement.

MemberMember
(@bentley-boo)

Posted : 12/20/2016 7:17 am

19 hours ago, numberone said:

I feel the same as the thread starter. I have had quite nasty acne for 5 years now and I finally got isotretinoin for it. I'm taking 40mg a day for around 3 months now, but I think it has only made my cheeks a lot worse. I still get breakouts one or two times a week. I dont get spots anymore on top of my lips, at least not that often which is nice, but my cheeks are a lot worse than what they were before. I feel like it is not working but how long does it usually take for the skin to start clearing up? My doctor believes I will need to be on the drug for 8 months overall but it just feels like so hopeless since I cant really see any improvement.

8 month course here, improvement started in month 6, clear by 7. Was BAD until month 6.

MemberMember
(@numberone)

Posted : 12/20/2016 10:18 am

Okay that is relieving to hear. This is how it looks at the moment...P_20161219_190851.jpg

MemberMember
(@bentley-boo)

Posted : 12/21/2016 12:32 pm

Yeah, if you look through my blog mine was similar to you. I did some progress pics.