Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FiercePenguin

FiercePenguin's miscellaneous log

I made a log for my progress on saw palmetto (and other anti-androgen herbs) about a year ago, which completely cleared my skin for a while. Over the summer I slowly started breaking out again and changed up my supplement routine a bit in response, but that didn't seem to help. Now, I have been on Yasmin for almost exactly 3 months (finish my third pack at the end of this week) and still haven't seen improvement. I remember how much making my last log helped me through a hard time and thought making a new one would be a good idea.

Mainly, I'm going to try reducing/almost completely cutting out sugar/simple carbs in my diet. I already avoid dairy products most of the time (although I was a strict vegan for about a year and it seemed to have no effect on my skin). I occasionally have cheese, which I will not be actively avoiding for this log, but I will be avoiding sugary dairy products like ice cream and chocolate, and pizza (very sad about this). I do eat some wheat and gluten (oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain bread), but I generally avoid simple carbs like white pasta/rice/bread, which I will be rather strict with for this log. I also do not eat any meat (in case that's relevant somehow).

I have also started taking 5000iu of vitamin D about every other day/every couple days, which I did not do in the summer (although one winter I took it every day and my skin was possibly the worst it had ever been at that point, if that means anything)

I will also continue to track my progress on Yasmin. I will keep the log for three months unless I need to quit earlier for some reason.

For anyone else who is trying something similar, I would be happy to have you post in this thread and discuss how it's going so we can support each other :) 

As for how my skin is doing starting out at this point, I break out around every week or so. Mostly I've been getting smallish whiteheads/pustules, but I had two deep pimples come up on my chin and one on my cheek over the weekend, which have mostly healed. I am getting another one on my chin now though-_-

And I have to say, my skin has actually been worse than it was before I switched to Yasmin. I would have hoped any "initial breakout" would have been over by now, but maybe not.

Update 12/22: I have decided to try the "spearmint tea regimen" as well. Starting tomorrow I will be drinking 2 cups per day. I have also recently decided to stop all herbal supplements, at least for a while, because I just don't feel they are helping anymore, and haven't been for a while.

Edited by FiercePenguin

Thought I would write a quick update. I had 2 more zits come up on my chin plus the one I mentioned already in the middle of last week, but by Friday they had all cleared up and my skin feels smooth now. I don't really think my diet can have made any difference this fast (especially since I had a couple of events this week where I ate cake, drank alcohol, etc.) so my hypothesis right now is that maybe Yasmin is kicking in since I started my fourth pack. Not sure. I will update again if I have something new to report or in another week or so :) 

Quick update again - I have been very bad about sticking to this regimen so far. There has been a good amount of drinking and going out to eat, as well as a few days of forgetting to take supplements. However....my skin is still looking the best it has in a long time. I have one clogged pore on my chin that's a little inflamed but really nothing significant. I'm puzzled. I feel like I'm either on the verge of a new breakout/major setback, or Yasmin is actually working.

You guys I spoke way too soon, I have a huge cyst/nodule on my chin which I haven't had for several years, so not sure what's up with that but it doesn't seem like a good sign.

Alright. Things are not going well and I decided to take a bit of a different approach, so I'll be editing the first post.

State of my skin right now: I have that one cyst, plus about three other spots healing right now. There's a lump under the skin between my eyes that I'm just waiting to see if it turns into a cyst or not:smileys_n_people_22:

And now we are back to no active breakouts (for the moment). Thought I should mention that I indulged a little (or a lot) over the holiday weekend. Also, I have only managed to drink 1 cup of tea per day so far instead of 2. Not sure if that's going to make a difference or not but I feel like anything is better than nothing.

So.. I guess this is mainly a Yasmin log for now, since I can't seem to stay consistent with anything else:smileys_n_people_30: Not giving up though

Edited by FiercePenguin

I'll post here with you on and off. :3 Man it was tough over the holiday weekend.  I broke down and over indulged too.  It's time to make a big change though.  

New chin cyst appeared three-ish days ago, no signs of it getting better:smileys_n_people_23: I didn't drink tea for a few days and wasn't doing great with eating either so maybe I do need to be better/more consistent with both of those things. Going to redouble my efforts I guess.

Also just thought I'd throw in here that I'm deeply disappointed in Mario Badescu products, especially the buffering lotion (which is supposed to be for cysts). I've tried it so many times and never once has it made a lick of difference. The drying lotion did nothing for me either. I'm baffled at the rave reviews.

Edited by FiercePenguin

Not much new to report but I thought I'd share a little update since I've been doing better with my diet and drinking tea every day, and so far no new cysts since a couple weeks ago. At the end of the week I start month 6 of Yasmin.

I had a little whitehead on my chin this week which I stupidly picked at but besides that, no new problems. Tea regimen is going ok, birth control is going ok, still continuing to improve my diet although I've managed not to go too crazy with sugar. I changed my skincare routine a bit, using some cheaper products, and it's working pretty well so far so I thought I'd post it here. A lot of the suggestions on the skincareaddiction subreddit have been working really well for me. I always thought salicylic acid was useless, but since I've been applying it and waiting the full 20-30 minutes for it to dry before layering other products on top, I think it has made a difference. 

AM:

CeraVe Foaming Cleanser

Stridex Red Box

Wait 30 mins

CeraVe AM Moisturizer (SPF 30)

PM:

Remove makeup w. microfiber cloth

CeraVe Foaming Cleanser

Stridex Red Box

Wait 30 mins

Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer

Ok, so we're almost 2 weeks into Yasmin month 6. Still not experiencing the "flawless" skin other girls say that they have on this pill. I have the most stubborn pimple ever on my cheek- I've been spot treating it for 5 days and it just isn't doing anything :(