Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickC84

Medication for being realy shy?

Is there ant medications you can take to Bring you out of your shell? Regardless of acne im just a shy person. I would like to aproach woman or what not but I just feel overwhelmed and I dont do it.

Thanks

If you want to carry on your ‘healthy lifestyle’ then stay off the medication for such trivia problems.

Sounds like you lack confidence

-Roddy

You are okay with poisening your body with a pill (which is what those drugs are) but not alcohol? I dont get that. Drugging yourself into being more social is NO different than drinking yourself there. Both are extremely unhealthy.

I dont know how to tell you how to be less shy...but something that helps me when dealing with intimidating people is remembering they are just people, with their own fears and insecurities as well.

Hi Nick, I've got some great tips for building up your confidence...

I had severe acne for about 5 years, which killed my confidence - especially with girls. So one, day about a year ago, I decided to do some "training" to build it up again.

Next time you go into a clothes shop, for example, just go up to one of the girls that work there and ask them if they could help you choose a shirt or something for when you go out, maybe. As they're helping you, you can just start chatting to them about what men's styles they like, etc. It just helps you to come out of your shell because you realise you're as good as anyone else.

Try this one if you're really brave ...

When I was in town on my own one morning (back when I started my training), I saw a really hot girl working in a shop. I agonised over whether to do it for ages and ages but then I thought "sod it, you never know til you try". I went up to her and said "excuse me, I think you're absolutely stunning". She seemed a right stuck up cow and I knew I had some acne so I wasn't expecting anything positive. She just said "erm, yeah" in a real shitty way. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, even though I had no success that time, I was really proud of myself for doing it. I know now, about a year on, that I could do it again ... and I've done it many times since. eusa_dance.gif

That confidence helped me to approach girl after girl and I dated a string of really hot chicks soon after. Admittedly, this was just after I finished accutane that I had this success.

It's hard facing your fears but only you can rid yourself of them. I think shyness is a fear that can be overcome.

Good luck mate. biggrin.gif

many people get shyness mixed up with social anxiety/phobia. You might have social phobia? You gotta ask yourself what you dread most. You say you are shy, if you could think specifically what it is you avoid or dread...

Shyness, its all in the mind. The reason why shyness stays with you is because it changes the way you think. One person might percieve someone staring at you because you are good looking. Anothe might think its because your ugly.

The cure for shyness is to change the way you think. However, its not easy.

this is an interesting topic as there are actually perscription medications available called anti anxiety medications and they are usually SSRI's, however i would advise extreme caution if u are considering these, as they are not a means to an end by any stretch of the imagination, and it may be the case that u swap one set of problems for another, because of the side effects. i dont know what the health system is like in the us, but here doctors hand out these drugsout like smarties. from my own experience of these type of drugs i would never take them again.

also a word about alcohol induced confidence...u are right to trust ur instincts and not go down this route, cos when u are drunk u are not being urself and this goes for any other drug, u have to ask urself if u really want to be in a stupified state when u are talkin to someone?

i think u should take deans advice... also try this... when u are walkin down the street or on a bus or whatever try smiling at someone, anyone, an old granny, a mother with a cute baby anyone, and see if they smile back. make sure u give them good eye contact an all that and if u can start doing this with total strangers it will help to build up ur confidence when making that first eye contact with someone you like. it all starts with a smile biggrin.gif

Is there ant medications you can take to Bring you out of your shell? Regardless of acne im just a shy person. I would like to aproach woman or what not but I just feel overwhelmed and I dont do it.

Thanks

I might be interested, but i've been seeing my doctor so much recently. I'm gonna get some meds. But then again, meds don't do anything long term...

You can get herbal remedies that suppress your shyness symptoms, which might help as you might be worrying about blushing etc

I've always been shy and afraid to drink but the first time I did, I realized what a gift it is - really. I've never been drunk and I don't drink very often - like once or twice a month - but when I do it's so relaxing and makes socializing so much easier. I doubt drinking like that is unhealthy, it's just something to enjoy now and then.

Maybe you could learn to enjoy wine, to make it a more positive experience? Drinking doesn't have to be drunken and mindless, it's a great millennia-old tradition to enjoy with friends.

Hi Nick,

Lots of research has been done on shyness. Hit the library & search the 'net & you'll find some good resources.

Alcohol (in small quantities) helps us relax, which allows us do stuff we wouldn't normally--and that can be good AND bad. Don't get in that habit--if you have to be drunk to approach women, what are you going to do when you see one you want to meet, and you're sober?

You can practice relaxation techniques instead (aka PMR, or "progressive muscle relaxation").

If you can learn to manage your anxiety via relaxation techniques & monitoring what you are thinking, you'll be good! I'll bet you can do this, because you have the discipline to go to the gym--and that kind of determination translates well into learning new behaviors, like handling social situations differently.

Good luck!

exactly, alcohol ain't gonna help in the long run.

I have social anxiety, and it is really hard to control. That is the problem. It is programmed into your mind, causing a bodily stress response.

i think I'm gonna get meds

Fuck you Little mother fucker. I hope U fuckin get sick and die u cock sucker. I come on this emo for support and not to get comments from Nerds.